IGNORED

The County Cricket Thread

Coppello

Much as I dislike the 100, seeing all these debuts for the young cricketers has been great, I’ve lost count now and they’ve all done well.

I’m  both excited and worried about the future of county cricket. I’m sure Somerset will be ok but it’d be sad to see any county go

• Like 2

2 minutes ago, ralphindevon said:

Much as I dislike the 100, seeing all these debuts for the young cricketers has been great, I’ve lost count now and they’ve all done well.

I’m  both excited and worried about the future of county cricket. I’m sure Somerset will be ok but it’d be sad to see any county go

Major league cricket on it's way? (With the 100)

• Sad 1

2 minutes ago, Midred said:

Major league cricket on it's way? (With the 100)

Nobody knows what’s on its way but the strength of feeling for the county game is huge.

Somerset sold out today, despite 10 players being out and the crap weather. In their last game they had 450,000 interactions on their live feed. It ain’t one man and his dog

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, Lanterne Rouge said:

One for the cricket buffs. Yorkshire had a lad called Jack Shutt playing for them - is he any relation to our erstwhile striker Carl?

He might well be a relative but I don’t think a close one as I think we’d have heard about it by now

• Like 1

13 minutes ago, ralphindevon said:

Nobody knows what’s on its way but the strength of feeling for the county game is huge.

Somerset sold out today, despite 10 players being out and the crap weather. In their last game they had 450,000 interactions on their live feed. It ain’t one man and his dog

Hopefully.

5 hours ago, ralphindevon said:

And Glos will be ok too !

5 hours ago, ralphindevon said:

Our last game WE had 450001, and we didn't have two men and their dogs !

:yes:

• Haha 1

Just felt the need to mention that Glos had another great late win today, having been in a great position with around 8 overs to go and then nearly chucking it away.  Sussex needed 5 from 8 balls (or something like that) but with 9 wickets down, and risked a 2nd run which resulted in a run out.  So we are still in the mix. Saw a good deal of the live stream, a cracking match whatever the result, but chuffed with the win!

• Flames 1

19 hours ago, Midred said:

Still raining?

Ha! Funny...

Stopped raining before 13:00 but play didn't get going until 15:30. Very poor effort in getting water off the ground - both badly organised and under-equipped. At one point there was a guy using what looked a towel to mop up the wicket. Match reduced to 20 overs a side eventually finishing at 18:30 with plenty of daylight lift. More cricket could easily have been provided to the full house than was. Disappointing.

Somerset thoroughly deserved their win and were better than Yorkshire in all aspects - batting, bowling and especially fielding. Yorkshire incredibly sloppy in the field - 5 chances put down and although a couple were very difficult the rest should have been held.

James Hildreth held everything together once he got in. Everytime I see him can't I can't help feeling a bit sorry for him - he should have had a fair few England caps and it's an injustice that he hasn't.

• Like 2

13 hours ago, slartibartfast said:

Our last game WE had 450001, and we didn't have two men and their dogs !

:yes:

13 hours ago, slartibartfast said:

And Glos will be ok too !

Yes I’m sure Glos will be ok too…………..but they’ll still have to play within a few hundred meters of the scrapyard that is the Mem’ no wonder they can’t match Somerset’s crowds ?

1 hour ago, Fordy62 said:

Wow. Welsh fire have smashed their way to an impressive 121 from their 100 balls.  

Massive. 

It’s odd how this so called simplified form of the game overall has lower runs per ball than T20s, takes more minutes per ball than T20 and has lower crowds.

• Like 1

18 hours ago, Super said:
NEWS: Somerset County Cricket Club are delighted to announce that Archie Vaughan has joined the Somerset Academy
Archie is the son of former England Captain Michael Vaughan

Just need to keep his dad away from doing commentary on the live streams 

1 minute ago, TomF said:

Anyone here Cooks suggestion to improve the domestic game? Have a county championship where the 4 teams who finish bottom would be expelled for good.

Absolute scenes when it’s Surrey, Yorkshire, Lancaster and One man team Essex. 

And that's why it would never happen. If you ran it that way next year then based on the last couple of seasons there's a serious possibility that Middlesex wouldn't make the cut for starters.

The discussion itself was quite interesting, lots of different ideas on scheduling and number of matches but all of them had drawbacks. The consensus was that the T20 Blast is too long but that trying to reduce the number of games in it would be a problem for the counties who rely on it for the bulk of their income and the shortfall would have to be found from somewhere.