IGNORED

The County Cricket Thread

Coppello

2 minutes ago, Lanterne Rouge said:

Surrey will be royally pissed off.

Oh well, never mind.

I can understand why they need the system but it always feels unfair on the team batting first as it's rewriting the first innings total and in hindsight it might have been different. It worked for us this time with the rain.

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, TomF said:

We’re desperately low on players compared to some sides like Northants who have very few involved in test and hundred.  I think we need one more win to go through. 

Yes true, I'm going Tuesday, hopefully another home win will be enough. 

It would be good to have Ben Green back but not sure when he will be 

2 minutes ago, ralphindevon said:

65* highest score in the 100. What a surprise package he’s turned out to be.

Only a surprise for those who have never seen him bat for Somerset.

Good Luck to the young man, obviously, but I had visions of him and Tom Lammonby starring in the RL cup final amongst their fellow young Somerset debutants.

12 minutes ago, PHILINFRANCE said:

Only a surprise for those who have never seen him bat for Somerset.

Good Luck to the young man, obviously, but I had visions of him and Tom Lammonby starring in the RL cup final amongst their fellow young Somerset debutants.

Even us Somerset fans haven’t seen much of him live, I don’t know off hand but maybe 2 matches played in front of Somerset fans? One in which he played very well but 2nd fiddle to Lammonby.

Let’s hope his progress doesn’t stutter like poor old Tom Banton’s has.

2 minutes ago, ralphindevon said:

Even us Somerset fans haven’t seen much of him live, I don’t know off hand but maybe 2 matches played in front of Somerset fans? One in which he played very well but 2nd fiddle to Lammonby.

Let’s hope his progress doesn’t stutter like poor old Tom Banton’s has.

Admittedly, I have only seen WS on the Somerset streams, but Goodness, he looks a wonderful talent.

À propos poor old (young) Tom Banton, I assume you saw that he was out LBW for a duck.

He must be seething with anger at the ECB, dragging him away just as he was coming in to some form and leaving him in the dressing room.

I would be furious.

6 minutes ago, PHILINFRANCE said:

Admittedly, I have only seen WS on the Somerset streams, but Goodness, he looks a wonderful talent.

À propos poor old (young) Tom Banton, I assume you saw that he was out LBW for a duck.

He must be seething with anger at the ECB, dragging him away just as he was coming in to some form and leaving him in the dressing room.

I would be furious.

Yes they’ve been really unfair with him since covid started. Now Overton and Leach are facing not playing any cricket in the height of summer. It’s a short career, I don’t know how missing a chunk of high summer to carry drinks when you’re in your prime can be anything but scandalous 

• Like 1

5 hours ago, Silvio Dante said:

Much as I hate the hundred, this was phenomenal 

It’s a ‘man’ thing for so many reasons.

Firstly, only a man is able to appreciate the absolutely excruciating, eye watering  pain such a blow causes.

Secondly, in that knowledge, only a man would be able to laugh, when he is the cause of a second, similar blow within seconds of the first.

Finally, I dare say few, if any, on here have felt sorry for poor old Alex Hales, his questionable character notwithstanding, but have simply laughed at his misfortune.

À propos excruciating pain, and in acknowledgment to the female readers of this forum, I understand that childbirth can be pretty painful also.

4 minutes ago, TomF said:

Smeed’s wrist and timing is unreal.  When you consider Somerset have a potential batting line up of Banton, Abell, Lammonby, Smeed and Goldsworthy.. that alongside Davies and Hildy is quite something. 

It’s really weird, Somerset are producing the best team the county had ever seen, yet the way cricket is run now we’re never going to see the cricket in a way we used to.

For these 6-8 weeks we’re in now they should all be playing almost non stop but there’s 4 or 5 that won’t have played at all. It’s unlikely kids will ever watch red ball cricket in the school holidays like I did. Madness 

But as you say, such an exciting time for the county, well done Somerset…….with a big help from Devon…..and a little help from Cornwall