IGNORED

The County Cricket Thread

Coppello

Well that was disappointing and the reverse of what we usually do.

We used to be slow starters then win loads at the end, in early May we were looking very good but the match at Hampshire starting 6th May was unbelievably our last victory in the championship. 

Some work to do and if the club are skint, which judging by the massive increase in the cost of the end of season dinner suggests they are, where can they save money?

For me, the signing of an overseas players on a short contract, especially at the end of a season rarely works, I don’t suppose any of them come cheap. For a full or nearly full season fine but not flying in someone just for a few games at a huge cost.

18 hours ago, Northern Red said:

Glos have signed Marcus Harris as an overseas for the next 2 seasons. Had been at Leics this year.

He didn't play much for Leicester though. His stats are reasonable, so I am optimistic that he will help the top order and it would be nice to not have to rely on 8 9 10, to dig us out of a whole each match. 
https://www.espncricinfo.com/player/marcus-harris-434813

Edited by Port Said Red

4 hours ago, Port Said Red said:

He didn't play much for Leicester though. His stats are reasonable, so I am optimistic that he will help the top order and it would be nice to not have to rely on 8 9 10, to dig us out of a whole each match. 
https://www.espncricinfo.com/player/marcus-harris-434813

Hmm...................do we REALLY need someone who can't get in Leicester team ?

1 hour ago, slartibartfast said:

Hmm...................do we REALLY need someone who can't get in Leicester team ?

Looking at the stats that doesn't seem to be the case, I think it has had more to do with other commitments and Covid? He had a few innings batting 3 in the Royal London, started slowly but then scored a good size century and a 75. 

I don't think he is a cast off.

• Thanks 1

Probably the fairest way to do it if they were insisting on it happening next year, although they're probably secretly relieved that Notts didn't win the title seeing as they aren't in a position to defend it! 14 fixtures per side which means not everyone in D1 will play each other twice, although I suspect they might try and arrange it so that each team gets 2 fixtures against their 'rival' - Lancs/Yorks, Somerset/Glos etc

Division One: Essex, Gloucestershire, Hampshire, Kent, Lancashire, Northamptonshire, Somerset, Surrey, Warwickshire, Yorkshire.

Division Two: Durham, Derbyshire, Glamorgan, Leicestershire, Middlesex, Nottinghamshire, Sussex, Worcestershire.

• Like 2

2 hours ago, TomF said:

County Championship reverting back to a two division setup next year - 10 in D1, 8 in D2.  Glos to be in D1 which is good. 

Two up/down.  Starting to worry about Somerset now given how they ended the season..! 

Glos need to work hard on their consistency, and even more important they get a quality spinner now. Fingers crossed for Gohar returning.

48 minutes ago, Port Said Red said:

Glos need to work hard on their consistency, and even more important they get a quality spinner now. Fingers crossed for Gohar returning.

Fair points. Based on this season though, we’re better than Northants, Surrey and Kent and on a par with Somerset in red-ball cricket.

I’m confident we’ll keep the squad together over the winter and we’ve already signed Marcus Harris to bolster the top-order batting. Gohar would be the icing on the cake

• Like 1

Gould on what his pitch for county cricket was when he ran for chairman of the ECB, instead they went for Harrison who was behind the hundred

My pitch was to focus on county cricket by creating a Premier League for the four-day game and having the Blast on free-to-air TV,

On 20/10/2021 at 16:11, Lrrr said:

Gould on what his pitch for county cricket was when he ran for chairman of the ECB, instead they went for Harrison who was behind the hundred

My pitch was to focus on county cricket by creating a Premier League for the four-day game and having the Blast on free-to-air TV,

What a tragedy Harrison got the job.

Like me, you may have noticed that Michael Vaughan has been conspicuous by his total silence on this subject so far, given that he's not usually shy of voicing his opinion on literally everything.

It all becomes clear...

https://www.telegraph.co.uk/cricket/2021/11/04/michael-vaughan-named-azeem-rafiq-report-totally-deny-accusation/

Edited by Northern Red