IGNORED

The County Cricket Thread

Coppello

4 hours ago, Northern Red said:

Like me, you may have noticed that Michael Vaughan has been conspicuous by his total silence on this subject so far, given that he's not usually shy of voicing his opinion on literally everything.

It all becomes clear...

https://www.telegraph.co.uk/cricket/2021/11/04/michael-vaughan-named-azeem-rafiq-report-totally-deny-accusation/

Yes, I saw that.

Hmmm.

I suspect some on here may not be familiar with Azeem Rafiq and his background.

Here is an interview he gave to Wisden last summer.

https://wisden.com/stories/interviews/the-extraordinary-life-of-azeem-rafiq

I have never met Azeem Rafiq nor Michael Vaughan, but somehow AR comes across as more credible and, certainly, a lot warmer than MV.

Renshaw, scorer of one of the most remarkable innings I’ve ever seen, against Yorkshire on a day when 20 wickets fell.

Got off the mark with a six

Got to 50 with a six

His first 50 scored all in boundaries 

Got to a 100 with a six

Scored a ton before lunch, which I can remember seeing Viv do many years ago but can’t remember seeing it live since. 

Unbelievable stuff.

• Like 1

Glos don't play one single Championship game in the month of August. Instead, we've got four games in April and three games in September. Good to see the ECB has listened to everyone after the Ashes debacle.

For us to get Zafar Gohar back, plus Marcus Harris and Naseem Shah, I think we're going to have a good red-ball season. We're a batsman short in the white-ball stuff. 

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, tin said:

Glos don't play one single Championship game in the month of August. Instead, we've got four games in April and three games in September. Good to see the ECB has listened to everyone after the Ashes debacle.

For us to get Zafar Gohar back, plus Marcus Harris and Naseem Shah, I think we're going to have a good red-ball season. We're a batsman short in the white-ball stuff. 

Loathe as I am to defend them, the structure of the season was in place before the Ashes so there wasn't a lot they could do to react immediately to what happened. They have added a couple of rounds of Championship in June and July so there are 5 instead of 3 which is something at least.

It sounds like the more radical changes will come in 2023 once they've had a chance to review everything and talk to the relevant parties. Although what that'll result in is anyone's guess.

13 minutes ago, Northern Red said:

Loathe as I am to defend them, the structure of the season was in place before the Ashes so there wasn't a lot they could do to react immediately to what happened. They have added a couple of rounds of Championship in June and July so there are 5 instead of 3 which is something at least.

It sounds like the more radical changes will come in 2023 once they've had a chance to review everything and talk to the relevant parties. Although what that'll result in is anyone's guess.

While I welcome the two extra Championship games in June and July, it's surely not difficult to swap August's white-ball schedule for September's red-ball conclusion? I'd imagine that's pretty easy to do, especially as the South Africa Test series doesn't start until late August which in itself is a joke. 

I was looking forward to a potential summer trip to Old Trafford to watch The Shire or a trip to Scarborough. I'll have to settle for us lifting the title at Headingley at the end of September instead. 

Just now, tin said:

While I welcome the two extra Championship games in June and July, it's surely not difficult to swap August's white-ball schedule for September's red-ball conclusion? I'd imagine that's pretty easy to do, especially as the South Africa Test series doesn't start until late August which in itself is a joke. 

The 50 over competition is designed to run at the same time as the Hundred, so no chance of that.

4 minutes ago, Super said:

Who's the 3rd?

edit Ah ok  it's MDL.

I'm guessing you can only play 2 in a game?

Which is ok if MDL and Siddle rotate, though a bit strange if you’re paying big bucks for an overseas player. But what if Overton gets called up, Gregory gets injured? You’d have to drop Renshaw.

I would love to hear the clubs thinking on this.

1 hour ago, TomF said:

Maybe we’ve realised MDL is toilet and sending him packing 

I think he’s on a two year deal and he was in video Jack Brooks posted from training but maybe someone else wants him.

He had some good moments in the T20, in the championship he seemed to improve the first few games but then became inconsistent.

I can’t see Siddle bowling loads in every game at his age so I guess they’ll probably keep both.

• Admin
1 hour ago, ralphindevon said:

I think he’s on a two year deal and he was in video Jack Brooks posted from training but maybe someone else wants him.

He had some good moments in the T20, in the championship he seemed to improve the first few games but then became inconsistent.

I can’t see Siddle bowling loads in every game at his age so I guess they’ll probably keep both.

MDL is one of those players that no matter what they do I will always detest, his bowling last season was often so erratic and costly and the number of times I would shake my head at one of his deliveries lol

PS Yes he did sign a two year deal with us

• Like 1