IGNORED

The County Cricket Thread

Coppello

Just now, Dogbert said:

So what is the Somerset plan from here? Maybe accelerate towards trying to declare at 500 mid afternoon, perhaps 10 overs bowling at them before tea?

Commentators on feed just said exactly that moments after I typed it. ?

500 up for Somerset

Glos v Som 507-5

Like the last game at Bristol, the wicket is increasingly resembling a portion of the M32.

In fact, the bend near junction two might provide more assistance for the bowlers than this.

3 minutes ago, TomF said:

Well that confirms it as they're talking about former gas players.  They've just got that ilk about them..

Only my personal evidence from today, but have only overheard conversations about City (from 'Set fans obviously) bit on Man City and Liverpool and that's it. No gas chat whatsoever 

6 hours ago, Super said:

Anyone think Abell still might still have a chance of an England call up or has he missed the boat now?

I think he’s got a huge chance of being picked. A level headed chap with an abundance of talent. Personally I think being given the captaincy set his own form back a bit but now he’s firing on all cylinders.

I think his technique, especially his defence which is more important in tests, is better than many that have had a chance.

• Like 3

1 hour ago, ralphindevon said:

I think he’s got a huge chance of being picked. A level headed chap with an abundance of talent. Personally I think being given the captaincy set his own form back a bit but now he’s firing on all cylinders.

I think his technique, especially his defence which is more important in tests, is better than many that have had a chance.

He was absolutely superb today. I did speak to a 'Set insider of sorts today though, and asked him if Abell might be in for an England call-up this summer, and his very specific answer was "no".  But new Head coach, not sure how that could be definitive at this stage, but he was adamant Abell was not fancied by England at all. Very mature innings today though. ? 

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Kid in the Riot said:

He was absolutely superb today. I did speak to a 'Set insider of sorts today though, and asked him if Abell might be in for an England call-up this summer, and his very specific answer was "no".  But new Head coach, not sure how that could be definitive at this stage, but he was adamant Abell was not fancied by England at all. Very mature innings today though. ? 

On a selfish note I hope he isn’t picked, I would rather he scored runs for Somerset. But I think he deserves a go and as you say there’s a new regime and I doubt even they know how the summer is going to pan out. 

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Kid in the Riot said:

I still think he’d be a great replacement for Morgan in limited overs when he wants to give it up 

8 minutes ago, Port Said Red said:

I didn't see the end of play last night, but I have just seen enough in the first 15 minutes this morning to convince me that Bethell will play for England sooner rather than later. Warwickshire have a serious player on their hands 

Spotted as a youngster in Barbados some years ago and given a scholarship by Warwickshire.

He certainly looks promising.

• Like 1

50 minutes ago, Northern Red said:

Overton has gone off injured after a couple of overs.

Don't worry, he's apparently back on now.

Gregory saying that you needn't have bothered - he has just knocked out Zak Chappell's middle stump with an excellent delivery.

Glos now 8, effectively 9, down if GvB is unable to bat - Jack L has just got Bethell LBW.

Edited by PHILINFRANCE