IGNORED

The County Cricket Thread

Coppello

6 minutes ago, TomF said:

Well draw is out now

Similarly to Roelof yesterday (I am convinced he got some bat to it), I don't think Siddle was out - going down leg, I thought.

A shame, as I thought if we could get to lunch and perhaps an hour or so after, it might make for an interesting afternoon.

22 minutes ago, TomF said:

Got a feeling Hildreth will retire end of this season, he's been in gradual decline.

Few others likely to move on too I think - Brooks, Waller, MDL.   So maybe quite an overhaul this winter. 

Think there could be quite a few on the move around the country before next season. Yorkshire have already announced that Willey is going back to Northants and they might lose others for financial/cultural reset reasons. Warks are being linked with Moeen, plus Mahmood from us.

1 hour ago, Northern Red said:

Lancs have signed Washington Sundar for the One Day Cup and July's CC games, which means our social media and streams will be inundated with Indian fans. Joy.

When Babar Azam played for us it got so ridiculous I think the media team did things for a laugh after a while.

Favourite player from the 70s? Most answers Babar Azam

Greatest fast bowler - Babar Azam 

Favourite Somerset born player who’s initials aren’t B.A. - Babar Azam

• Haha 1

3 minutes ago, ralphindevon said:

When Babar Azam played for us it got so ridiculous I think the media team did things for a laugh after a while.

Favourite player from the 70s? Most answers Babar Azam

Greatest fast bowler - Babar Azam 

Favourite Somerset born player who’s initials aren’t B.A. - Babar Azam

We had Hassan Ali for the first few weeks of the season so we've already had a bit of it, indeed today we're getting plenty of "not as good as Hassan" from assorted Pakistan fans.

Looking forward to the Indians tuning into the streams to discover he'll mainly be playing at Blackpool, Sedbergh and Southport, not Old Trafford.

• Like 1

17 minutes ago, TomF said:

I saw the essex score yesterday.  No surprises, they continue to get the lowest pitch ratings in the country and then still cry at everyone else.  Worse set of fans in the country, even worse than Surrey. 

Do they ever get fined for these ratings?

I have been watching the Essex/Hants game on and off, and I see that our (@TomF's) friend Harmer has now taken his sixth wicket! - at a rate of almost six an over - I reckon that I could still bowl 20 or so overs of filth, and still pick up a few boundary catches, but that would surely not make me a good bowler.   

It now seems likely that Essex will win this match, but there just seems something wrong with a Championship pitch being prepared to result in a three day finish, even it is relatively high scoring. 

Edited by PHILINFRANCE

31 minutes ago, PHILINFRANCE said:

Yep, won by 12 runs.

Harmer seems to take a lot of wickets at Chelmsford, yet, as far as I am aware, their pitch is not criticised.

Taunton, however.... 

I was too slow to edit, but this will no doubt cheer you (@TomF) up:

Simon Harmer claimed Championship-best figures of 15 for 207 as Essex clinched a thoroughly enjoyable match by 12 runs, but Hampshire have reason for considerable pride. Everything was tilted against them, not just Harmer, in his element on a turning pitch, but some borderline umpiring decisions and unfortunate ball changes.

https://www.espncricinfo.com/series/county-championship-division-one-2022-1297650/essex-vs-hampshire-36th-match-1297735/match-report-3

4 hours ago, Super said:

Somerset County Cricket Club can today announce that we have signed Imam Ul Haq for the final four LV= Insurance County Championship matches of the season.

Hmmm.

A very useful one day player, but I am not sure how he will cope in First Class cricket on, presumably, green pitches in September.

Didn't he struggle a bit when facing Broad?