Welcome to One Team in Bristol - Bristol City Forums

Welcome to One Team in Bristol - Bristol City Forums, like most online communities you must register to view or post in our community, but don't worry this is a simple free process that requires minimal information for you to signup. Be a part of One Team in Bristol - Bristol City Forums by signing in or creating an account.

• Start new topics and reply to others
  • Full access to all forums (not all viewable as guest)
  • Subscribe to topics and forums to get email updates
  • Get your own profile page and make new friends
  • Send personal messages to other members.
  • Support OTIB with a premium membership

Coppello

The County Cricket Thread

4 minutes ago, Midred said:

Could we just play sensibly and take the 2 days to get what we need?

Block the first 25 overs out and the ball gets softer/easier to bat.   If we got somehow to 20 overs and somehow 40/3 or something we might have a chance.  I just can't see it thou. 

18 minutes ago, myol'man said:

Time to bring Marcus back?

It’ll be his last game in theory, surely deserves a send off. Can’t be any worse than Vijay - baring 150 tomorrow 

Could be all but over in the Division Two promotion race by the end of this round, looking at the current scores:

Gloucs to beat Worcs, 85 needed with 8 wickets left.

Northants to beat Durham, currently 305 ahead in their second innings with 4 wickets left.

Sussex to not win against Derbys, the latter of whom are 217 ahead in the second innings with only one wicket down.

Then we'll be about 20 points clear of 4th, I think?

Edited by cidercity1987

Oooooh now you've gone and done it!! ;)

85 with 8 wickets left on what seems like a lively track...not cut and dried- I remember our loss at Middlesex.

Northants to beat Durham- yeah could well be.

Sussex to lose score 350 in 2 sessions or 420 in a day.

*Sticks fingers in ears* "La la la, looking ahead nah"

Looks like Glamorgan might win with maximum points too but we shall see- they play Durham final day.

IF we grind it out though, then yeah it's a huge step.

If midtable nothing to play for Derbyshire are 327/1 and going at over 5 an over, that suggests pretty well anything is chaseable there if the wicket and conditions stay the same.

Edited by Mr Popodopolous
  • Like 1

23 minutes ago, Mr Popodopolous said:

Oooooh now you've gone and done it!! ;)

85 with 8 wickets left on what seems like a lively track...not cut and dried- I remember our loss at Middlesex.

Northants to beat Durham- yeah could well be.

Sussex to lose score 350 in 2 sessions or 420 in a day.

*Sticks fingers in ears* "La la la, looking ahead nah"

Looks like Glamorgan might win with maximum points too but we shall see- they play Durham final day.

IF we grind it out though, then yeah it's a huge step.

If midtable nothing to play for Derbyshire are 327/1 and going at over 5 an over, that suggests pretty well anything is chaseable there if the wicket and conditions stay the same.

make that 79 with 7...............surely that's enough play for today !

3 minutes ago, slartibartfast said:

we're gonna **** up !

I'm superstitious as they come, sport wise. Probably meaningless but tempting fate always gets me alarmed to say the least.

Just need to see it out to the close now and go again in the morning...5.2 overs left according to Cricinfo.

5 minutes ago, Mr Popodopolous said:

I'm superstitious as they come, sport wise. Probably meaningless but tempting fate always gets me alarmed to say the least.

Just need to see it out to the close now and go again in the morning...5.2 overs left according to Cricinfo.

too many 

sometimes they finish about now when they start at 11    !

Edited by slartibartfast

1 hour ago, TomF said:

Awful last hour for Somerset. From having a chance think it’s probably sailed now. 

Shit or bust next week it is 

Worst fears realised today 

Guess it was our week last week. 

11 minutes ago, phantom said:

Worst fears realised today 

Guess it was our week last week. 

Need another Warks type performance. The only thing I can cling onto is that last Hants game they scored 400+ on day 3

• Like 1

2 hours ago, cidercity1987 said:

Could be all but over in the Division Two promotion race by the end of this round, looking at the current scores:

Then we'll be about 20 points clear of 4th, I think?

Thought it's only 2 up 2 down now?

Wow- won it within the first hour or so, with 0 wickets lost between the start and the winning! Assumed given yesterday it could've been quite awkward. 

:clapping:

Well done Gloucs!

Still taking it one game at a time, just one.

8 minutes ago, Mr Popodopolous said:

Wow- won it within the first hour or so, with 0 wickets lost between the start and the winning! Assumed given yesterday it could've been quite awkward. 

:clapping:

Well done Gloucs!

Still taking it one game at a time, just one.

We are going up.............I say ...........:P:clap:

On 17/09/2019 at 09:45, phantom said:

I'd like us and Surrey to both still be batting this time tomorrow

24 hours later. But same request please 

Batting has been pretty poor all season. Down the bowlers we are still in with a title chance.

14 minutes ago, Super said:

Batting has been pretty poor all season. Down the bowlers we are still in with a title chance.

Our inability to finish Hants off at 7 and 8 down in both innings cost us from a bowling perspective tho 

• Like 2

50 minutes ago, TomF said:

Our inability to finish Hants off at 7 and 8 down in both innings cost us from a bowling perspective tho 

Over the season though the batting has let us down far more. 

Well it’s shit or bust next week. Weather isn’t looking great. Essex can’t get more than 3 more bonus points than us or it’s game over as well 

Genuinely thought you had a shot there- 86/0 and scoring at a fair clip, over 4 an over, even 91/1 not so terrible...

Barring weather you will be 12 points behind Essex. Presumably if you win next week you will obtain bowling bonus points in the process, dunno your margin for error.

As for us, looks like Sussex will be losing and so too will Durham...but I can't see Leicestershire chasing 424 at Glamorgan or batting 113 overs to save the game.

Forgot to add- best of luck v Essex next week- hope to make it a West Country Double- newly promoted Gloucs v the team who became champions for the first time Somerset would have a great ring!

At Headingley, Stevens is on 🔥!

Made that double century from 39/5 and in the 4th Innings he has 3/6!

12 minutes ago, Mr Popodopolous said:

Genuinely thought you had a shot there- 86/0 and scoring at a fair clip, over 4 an over, even 91/1 not so terrible...

Barring weather you will be 12 points behind Essex. Presumably if you win next week you will obtain bowling bonus points in the process, dunno your margin for error.

As for us, looks like Sussex will be losing and so too will Durham...but I can't see Leicestershire chasing 424 at Glamorgan or batting 113 overs to save the game.

Forgot to add- best of luck v Essex next week- hope to make it a West Country Double- newly promoted Gloucs v the team who became champions for the first time Somerset would have a great ring!

At Headingley, Stevens is on 🔥!

Made that double century from 39/5 and in the 4th Innings he has 3/6!

I'm trying to work out the parameters

Essex will be 12 point ahead. Therefore if they got a full 8 bonus point but lost They'd have 20 which means we'd have had to get a minimum of 5 bonus points to get to 21. A tie would put them ahead on virtue of losing less I'd imagine. 

Lose or Draw its Essex

Win with 21 points its Somersets regardless

Win with 20 or less and its a lottery depending on bonus points.

I don't think a team who've lost 3 games probably deserve to win it - we've made some bad calls along the way - winning toss at Headingley and bowling,  losing the toss at Essex & Hants cost us dearly but too many other games we've missed out on bonus points (at least 3 where we needed 1 more run for bonus batting point). 

Essex's demolition of Kent 40ao was the other factor.  Had we finished off Hants second time around at 103/8 and had to chase something like 160 then we might have just done it. 

I don't know if we can create a turner next week without causing ourselves more issues - Harmer will be just as effective as Leach/Bess if we do.  I guess we still know its in our hands to a degree and we've been here before needing to win to stay up but I just fear its 2nd place for the 4th time in 9 years. 

5 minutes ago, TomF said:

I'm trying to work out the parameters

Essex will be 12 point ahead. Therefore if they got a full 8 bonus point but lost They'd have 20 which means we'd have had to get a minimum of 5 bonus points to get to 21. A tie would put them ahead on virtue of losing less I'd imagine. 

Lose or Draw its Essex

Win with 21 points its Somersets regardless

Win with 20 or less and its a lottery depending on bonus points.

I don't think a team who've lost 3 games probably deserve to win it - we've made some bad calls along the way - winning toss at Headingley and bowling,  losing the toss at Essex & Hants cost us dearly but too many other games we've missed out on bonus points (at least 3 where we needed 1 more run for bonus batting point). 

Essex's demolition of Kent 40ao was the other factor.  Had we finished off Hants second time around at 103/8 and had to chase something like 160 then we might have just done it. 

I don't know if we can create a turner next week without causing ourselves more issues - Harmer will be just as effective as Leach/Bess if we do.  I guess we still know its in our hands to a degree and we've been here before needing to win to stay up but I just fear its 2nd place for the 4th time in 9 years. 

Good news on the tiebreaking front.

According to Cricinfo it's most wins- which if level on points simplifies as you will have won 10 and Essex 9. Unless it's changed to fewest losses taking precedence as this was written a few years ago. Always assumed it was most wins followed by least losses anyway.

This tweet also seems to suggest.

You need to tbh, need to create a result wicket one way or the other- drawing will be no good- just have to go all in for it.

2 minutes ago, Mr Popodopolous said:

Good news on the tiebreaking front.

According to Cricinfo it's most wins- which if level on points simplifies as you will have won 10 and Essex 9. Unless it's changed to fewest losses taking precedence as this was written a few years ago. Always assumed it was most wins followed by least losses anyway.

This tweet also seems to suggest.

You need to tbh, need to create a result wicket one way or the other- drawing will be no good- just have to go all in for it.

In a way its probably better that Somerset go for win. If they went in knowing they could win it with a draw they'd probably bat like twats and lose. I forgot if we win it would be 10/9 - That's how Notts won it in 2010 when Wankyshire bottle jobs did the now famous 11/3 

• Like 1

Sussex LOSE!

Basically gone in terms of promotion, can't catch us basically and Northants once they complete.

Durham 8 down- looking all over for them too given they are chasing around 400. That rules them out.

Only slight annoyance then, Glamorgan are away to Durham on last day- and that will now be a dead rubber for Durham, hope they don't send out the kids etc. Glamorgan- barring rain- will surely beat Leicestershire. Most likely will be 16 behind us so still the outsiders.

Glos should do it from here tbh.

Would be a cracking achievement, most people wouldn't have had them amongst the promotion contenders at the start of the season, I know I didn't. I thought Lancs would do well, although not as dominant as we have been, and I fancied Middlesex, Worcs and Sussex to be up there too. Didn't see Glos, Northants, Durham or Glamorgan challenging at all.