Jump to content

Welcome to One Team in Bristol - Bristol City Forums

Welcome to One Team in Bristol - Bristol City Forums, like most online communities you must register to view or post in our community, but don't worry this is a simple free process that requires minimal information for you to signup. Be a part of One Team in Bristol - Bristol City Forums by signing in or creating an account.

  • Start new topics and reply to others
  • Full access to all forums (not all viewable as guest)
  • Subscribe to topics and forums to get email updates
  • Get your own profile page and make new friends
  • Send personal messages to other members.
  • Support OTIB with a premium membership

Coppello

The County Cricket Thread

Recommended Posts

1 hour ago, TomF said:

I'm trying to work out the parameters

Essex will be 12 point ahead. Therefore if they got a full 8 bonus point but lost They'd have 20 which means we'd have had to get a minimum of 5 bonus points to get to 21. A tie would put them ahead on virtue of losing less I'd imagine. 

Lose or Draw its Essex

Win with 21 points its Somersets regardless

Win with 20 or less and its a lottery depending on bonus points.

I don't think a team who've lost 3 games probably deserve to win it - we've made some bad calls along the way - winning toss at Headingley and bowling,  losing the toss at Essex & Hants cost us dearly but too many other games we've missed out on bonus points (at least 3 where we needed 1 more run for bonus batting point). 

Essex's demolition of Kent 40ao was the other factor.  Had we finished off Hants second time around at 103/8 and had to chase something like 160 then we might have just done it. 

I don't know if we can create a turner next week without causing ourselves more issues - Harmer will be just as effective as Leach/Bess if we do.  I guess we still know its in our hands to a degree and we've been here before needing to win to stay up but I just fear its 2nd place for the 4th time in 9 years. 

Really disappointed, had them on the rack twice and couldn't finish them off, I know thsts unreal figures from Abbott but the batting is poor.

I think we've blown it, the weather forcast looks pretty poor for next week I think it will just end in damp squib draw....

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
29 minutes ago, xerox6060 said:

Really disappointed, had them on the rack twice and couldn't finish them off, I know thsts unreal figures from Abbott but the batting is poor.

I think we've blown it, the weather forcast looks pretty poor for next week I think it will just end in damp squib draw....

Yep don’t look great. I think it’s gone sadly 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
22 minutes ago, Fordy62 said:

Disappointed for Somerset. 

Anyone able to work out what Gloucester need to get promoted?

If Glamorgan don’t win tomorrow and assuming Northants do then that’s it I think?

Otherwise it looks like we’ll be 16 points ahead of Glamorgan. They would need to beat Durham away and realistically Glos would have to lose v Northants. A draw and 4 bonus points for Glos would be enough.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Just trying to get things straight in my head. Am I right in thinking that if we beat Essex then we win the title unless they get five more bonus points than us? Any less than that and they can`t catch us as if it`s four then the points will be the same but we win on number of victories?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
20 minutes ago, Red Right Hand said:

Just trying to get things straight in my head. Am I right in thinking that if we beat Essex then we win the title unless they get five more bonus points than us? Any less than that and they can`t catch us as if it`s four then the points will be the same but we win on number of victories?

I think so! I cant see that we would beat essex with them getting 5 more bonus points. Its basically win and its ours.

  • Thanks 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
29 minutes ago, Super said:

I think so! I cant see that we would beat essex with them getting 5 more bonus points. Its basically win and its ours.

Correct, hugely unlikely bonus points will cone into it. It would mean something like us scoring under 200 them scoring over 400 and us winning. Best in mind there will be no declarations from Essex.

On the other hand, anything's possible with Somerset 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, ralphindevon said:

Correct, hugely unlikely bonus points will cone into it. It would mean something like us scoring under 200 them scoring over 400 and us winning. Best in mind there will be no declarations from Essex.

On the other hand, anything's possible with Somerset 

Yep it would be unlikely in extreme that bonus points come into play. To win we’d have to bowl them out twice for no more than 400 odd in total 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, cidercity1987 said:

If Glamorgan don’t win tomorrow and assuming Northants do then that’s it I think?

Otherwise it looks like we’ll be 16 points ahead of Glamorgan. They would need to beat Durham away and realistically Glos would have to lose v Northants. A draw and 4 bonus points for Glos would be enough.

It's got rain most of next week anyhoo (according to the forecast, that is ) :fingerscrossed:

  • Thanks 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

As expected, Durham lose.

95ef6929-6cfd-4c56-bb46-11bd3cf1f2cd.jpg

I believe Glamorgan will win though and it could be a nervy final game. They'll be 16 behind us, away to suddenly out of the running Durham. Still it's in our own hands- I'd much rather be in our position than Glamorgan's!

Do we produce a road or a result track next week? We deserve promotion with some of our form, our positive brand of cricket in recent months IMO.

Edited by Mr Popodopolous

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Agnew and Bayliss have both laid out their blueprints for us at international level, and both have called for a reduction to the number of counties.

Unsure of the detail of Bayliss's proposals but Agnew's blueprint was basically one division, 12 teams. 🙄

Edit- Bayliss reckons 10 the magic number.

Where the latter might have some validity to his point though is that pitches could be improved. Undoubtedly English conditions are pretty unique, this is both a strength and a weakness.

Edited by Mr Popodopolous

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
7 minutes ago, Mr Popodopolous said:

Agnew and Bayliss have both laid out their blueprints for us at international level, and both have called for a reduction to the number of counties.

Unsure of the detail of Bayliss's proposals but Agnew's blueprint was basically one division, 12 teams. 🙄

Edit- Bayliss reckons 10 the magic number.

Where the latter might have some validity to his point though is that pitches could be improved. Undoubtedly English conditions are pretty unique, this is both a strength and a weakness.

There's no problem with 18 counties its simply the formatting that is the problem, creating a 4th domestic competition means some players are simply playing too much cricket and having to flip flap between different formats rather than being able to focus on one.

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 minute ago, hodge said:

There's no problem with 18 counties its simply the formatting that is the problem, creating a 4th domestic competition means some players are simply playing too much cricket and having to flip flap between different formats rather than being able to focus on one.

I agree. No need to change the system, but yeah one too many tournaments at this time.

Think the pitches could do with some improvement at times however- you can get fairly hard ones for bowlers abroad but they seem to be getting more bowler friendly again in a number of places. Still overplaying has been a bit of an issue, I remember in 2007 season I think it was, when Gloucestershire played 2 4 day games back to back- one at Gloucester then overnight up to Derby- think in that period it was 10 days of cricket out of 12 or something, which didn't even account for all the travel.

Regardless of that anomaly, 4 tournaments is one too many I feel.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 minute ago, Mr Popodopolous said:

I agree. No need to change the system, but yeah one too many tournaments at this time.

Think the pitches could do with some improvement at times however- you can get fairly hard ones for bowlers abroad but they seem to be getting more bowler friendly again in a number of places. Still overplaying has been a bit of an issue, I remember in 2007 season I think it was, when Gloucestershire played 2 4 day games back to back- one at Gloucester then overnight up to Derby- think in that period it was 10 days of cricket out of 12 or something, which didn't even account for all the travel.

Regardless of that anomaly, 4 tournaments is one too many I feel.

I've long felt that we should have three 6 team divisions for 4 day and 1 day cricket (2 up, 2 down) with T20 either having a 2 group or 3 group system for 14 or 12 group games, however I would want to see the system brought in where 3 teams play each other over the course of the day (A v B, A v C, C v B) as fans get to see more cricket and it means less days in the county schedule, we do that sort of day for finals day so no reason why we couldn't do it domestically, just make sure the teams are local ie Somerset, Gloucestershire, Glamorgan, Worcestershire, Hampshire and maybe Warwickshire, pick 3 out of that.

  • Hmmm 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, cidercity1987 said:

Sooo worse case scenario, Glos need 9 points and Northants need 4. I'm sure something could be arranged....

Simple create a road that’ll get you 5 batting points each and a draw 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.
Note: Your post will require moderator approval before it will be visible.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.


  • Recently Browsing   0 members

    No registered users viewing this page.

×
×
  • Create New...