IGNORED

The County Cricket Thread

Coppello

36 minutes ago, PHILINFRANCE said:

Don’t let @TomF know - he will only blame the pitch.

Seriously, though, I shall be very interested to see what comment the pitch inspectors make, if indeed they are requested to intervene.

34 minutes ago, Northern Red said:

It used to be the case that they'd automatically get involved if more than 15 wickets went on the first day.

They must have to take into account the fact that it's the last week of September, squares must start to deteriorate, early morning starts with dew on the ground and the light conditions are very different even it's sunny it will be lower on the horizon. Just watching the Glos game and the shadows are quite long already.

20 hours ago, tin said:

Nine wickets have fallen to left-arm spin in the first two sessions so far today. Looks like a Bunsen burner.

On another note, I hope we snap up Gohar for next year. He's exactly the type of spinner we've been crying out for. 

Scoring 30 and putting on 44 for the last wicket is useful too. Definitely need to make an effort to keep him around.

• Like 1

13 minutes ago, Port Said Red said:

They must have to take into account the fact that it's the last week of September, squares must start to deteriorate, early morning starts with dew on the ground and the light conditions are very different even it's sunny it will be lower on the horizon. Just watching the Glos game and the shadows are quite long already.

Think Harmer is probably one of their most regular opening bowlers :laugh:

3 hours ago, Port Said Red said:

Scoring 30 and putting on 44 for the last wicket is useful too. Definitely need to make an effort to keep him around.

10-wicket haul for Gohar now. County Championship win number EIGHT to be wrapped up inside two days. 

Edited by tin
  • Like 2
  • Flames 1

1 hour ago, TomF said:

Glos should see this home, really solid season in the 4 day game.  Got to wonder 'what if' had it been a proper Div 1 season.

We’re a good four-day side, albeit we loved to chase. We were built around good seam in the first half of the summer, and spin in the second.

An enjoyable campaign and I hope Harvey and Alleyne are allowed to continue in their roles beyond this year. 

• Like 1

39 minutes ago, TomF said:

Somerset’s best day with the bat for many a game. Still work to do tomorrow tho. 

I think it was really important we didn’t finish the season with yet another 100 all out, that could have spelt disaster going into next season.

Even if we lose, if we put up a fight and a few people get runs it’ll be something to work with in the winter

17 hours ago, tin said:

We’re a good four-day side, albeit we loved to chase. We were built around good seam in the first half of the summer, and spin in the second.

An enjoyable campaign and I hope Harvey and Alleyne are allowed to continue in their roles beyond this year. 

Have you watched the highlights? I mean all those wickets to spin suggest a real Turner don’t they? Nope… all straight! ?‍♂️ 

Glos never cease to amaze me. Such an underdog all the time, but always competitive. 

Who do we want to win the Championship, though?

Not Surrey or Essex, obviously, although, as they are not in the 'top' division, this is somewhat immaterial.

Firstly, I want Somerset to win or, at the very least, to draw, so that rules out Warwickshire's chances.

It's looking as if Notts are going to beat Yorkshire, so that must give them some chance, although their points will not be enough should there be a result in the remaining match between Hants and Lancs, one of whom looks likely to win.

Hants or Lancs it is then, though most probably Lancs, which gives me no pleasure whatsoever.

So annoying, as Somerset could have won this.

It's getting a bit closer since I posted - could be a nailbiting finish. 

Edited by PHILINFRANCE

1 hour ago, TomF said:

I’m guessing they’ll want to set around 270 in 2 sessions maybe, maybe little less to tempt Somerset to go for it.  250 on 60 overs perhaps.  Somerset certainly don’t shut up shop very well so if we’re 50/3 the title will be in the bag. 

Yes the only chance of us not losing is to go for it 100% Neither team have anything to lose so could be interesting. 

This week has made me realise how much i miss not being in the mix in the last round. I know we get stick for being runners up all the time but having that chance of glory from the start of the season to its very end is brilliant and I feel sorry for those counties that haven't experienced it much. 

Edited by ralphindevon

13 hours ago, TomF said:

I’m guessing they’ll want to set around 270 in 2 sessions maybe, maybe little less to tempt Somerset to go for it.  250 on 60 overs perhaps.  Somerset certainly don’t shut up shop very well so if we’re 50/3 the title will be in the bag. 

Ok, my guess is that they are going to try to set 300 in 70 overs, get us batting for a quick session before lunch.

We (Warwickshire) are bowling really well. Getting movement and a little help from the pitch now too. Our catching in the slips has been good. Yates has held on to a couple of tough ones.

Honestly, I haven't seen anything that makes me think Somerset are not interested or giving their wickets away, it's just hard. 

Edited by awbb

1 hour ago, Super said:

Getting bored now of this feeble batting season after season.

We've got too many players that show huge talent but dreadful consistency. 

How many times has Abel shown what a class player he is, got everyone talking about an England call up then go 5 or 6 innings without a run?