IGNORED

The County Cricket Thread

Coppello

1 hour ago, TomF said:

Compton maybe Renshaw.  We were extremely lucky when we had the likes of Tres, Compo and Arul.  Seems like there is a genuine shortage of openers in England full stop. 

Personally would stick Tom in to open.

Nothing like blowing your own trumpet!

6 hours ago, slartibartfast said:

What , and apologize for his last England performance ?

It's ok, I'm Glos.....but don't like sags !

Who does? He’s a good bat, though, and that ton Down Under should have boosted his confidence. 

Yates at Warwickshire, Haines at Sussex and Bohannon at Lancs are three others to follow with an eye on England IMO.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, ralphindevon said:

I’d forgotten how bad we’d finished last season, 4 straight defeats.

Meaning if/when we lose this one it will be 5 consecutive CC defeats. Something we haven’t achieved since the late 60s.

The shame of being relegated at the end of the season and having to play Angus Fraser's Middlesex CC next year!

48 minutes ago, Midred said:

The shame of being relegated at the end of the season and having to play Angus Fraser's Middlesex CC next year!

And watch Mike Atherton’s son, who got his first 50 yesterday, score a ton against us.

We are the longest serving Div 1 team, it would certainly be a shame to lose that. I think we’ll rally in typical Somerset fashion and finish mid table

• Like 1

1 hour ago, TomF said:

Worth remembering that Hants had a pretty decent season last year as well. I think they'll be right up the top this season.

Yep. They were one wicket away from winning the title last year, the game at Liverpool where Lancs scraped home 9 down.

A new ball attack of Abbas, Abbott and Barker is as good as there is at this level.

16 hours ago, slartibartfast said:

On the plus side, after making a pigs ear of a lot of the match.....we could still beat Northants !

I think it's been a cracking game, we had the worst of the conditions on the morning of days 1 and 3, but I think we have the better bowling attack.

Need to get Keogh early to have a real chance of winning.

1 hour ago, Port Said Red said:

County Cricket at it's best, and why some people never understand that a drawn game can be just as exciting as a result.

image.png.9b8a2073e4f96e24c25c2d16f16744bc.png

Quite...........makes me laugh, BBC report has us grateful for a draw, well I wasn't....looking for the win ! I think we were more likely to get last two wickets than them get 27 off an over (especially as we put one down )   Who writes this crap, Colin Milburn ?

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, slartibartfast said:

Quite...........makes me laugh, BBC report has us grateful for a draw, well I wasn't....looking for the win ! I think we were more likely to get last two wickets than them get 27 off an over (especially as we put one down )   Who writes this crap, Colin Milburn ?

Very amusing, even if it does show your age.

Actually, he was one of my favourite cricketers back in the 1960s; indeed, for me, he was one of the sporting stars of 1966.

Who could forget CM batting (and scoring a Century) against the frightening West Indies bowling attack of Wes Hall, Charlie Griffith, Lance Gibbs and, of course, the great Sir Garfield Sobers; Henry Cooper fighting against Cassius Clay and, last, but not least, England's wonderful World Cup victory.

As I am sure you are aware, whilst he was, in my young eyes, a flamboyant Northants batsman, he was actually a Geordie by birth - just like that great Glos batsman Tom Graveney ?, who you probably remember also - another star of that 1966 West Indies series. 

• Like 1

17 minutes ago, PHILINFRANCE said:

Very amusing, even if it does show your age.

Actually, he was one of my favourite cricketers back in the 1960s; indeed, for me, he was one of the sporting stars of 1966.

Who could forget CM batting (and scoring a Century) against the frightening West Indies bowling attack of Wes Hall, Charlie Griffith, Lance Gibbs and, of course, the great Sir Garfield Sobers; Henry Cooper fighting against Cassius Clay and, last, but not least, England's wonderful World Cup victory.

As I am sure you are aware, whilst he was, in my young eyes, a flamboyant Northants batsman, he was actually a Geordie by birth - just like that great Glos batsman Tom Graveney ?, who you probably remember also - another star of that 1966 West Indies series. 

Derek Murray , keeper, Rohan Kanhai spinner.   Yes I loved watching Colin Milburn....BUT, didn't think he was an opener, should have been 3 or 4, used to try and hit the cover off the thing from ball one !   Remember old Peter West "...like a pistol shot" commenting on CM dispatching  Wes Hall into the Lords Grandstand (second tier) for six !

49 minutes ago, slartibartfast said:

Derek Murray , keeper, Rohan Kanhai spinner.   Yes I loved watching Colin Milburn....BUT, didn't think he was an opener, should have been 3 or 4, used to try and hit the cover off the thing from ball one !   Remember old Peter West "...like a pistol shot" commenting on CM dispatching  Wes Hall into the Lords Grandstand (second tier) for six !

Interesting that you refer to Rohan Kanhai as a spinner; I remember him more as a batsman, especially in one day cricket, for both WI and Warwickshire.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, PHILINFRANCE said:

Interesting that you refer to Rohan Kanhai as a spinner; I remember him more as a batsman, especially in one day cricket, for both WI and Warwickshire.

Yes, he was a batsman (NOT batter) but he was also a part time bowler, especially in those glorious John Arlott inspired 40 over televised Sunday league games .

1 hour ago, And Its Smith said:

Well done to Glos CCC for changing BATSMEN on their scoreboard to BATTER. I know from personal experience the amount of females now in the game  impaired to previous generations and it is great to see. Any inclusive amendment like this is incredibly welcome 

Is impaired the right term for this ? ?

1 hour ago, Midred said:

Is impaired the right term for this ? ?

Oops.  Compared!

35 minutes ago, TomF said:

See plenty of wibble on twitter about it - don't see the problem although do you start saying 3rd person rather than 3rd man positioning wise?

Either way I'm sure in a few years times when every CC ground has a full screen scoreboard it won't even be an issue! 

A lot of commentators just call it ‘third’ now. 

• Sad 1