IGNORED

The County Cricket Thread

Coppello

30 minutes ago, PHILINFRANCE said:

I have no problems with Gloucestershire’s decision, but, for me, Sir Viv Richards will always remain one of my favourite batsmen.

How long will Short Leg or Silly whatever close fielding position remain?

It’s fine to say batsman about a male batter I reckon. Just scoreboards are changing to say batter to be more inclusive when women play

I don’t really understand the second question. As far as I know, nobody has an issue with those names.  

I see that @slartibartfast and @Super aren’t fans of this. I really don’t know why anyone cares about females feeling more included in the game.  The female involvement rate is sky high nowadays which I personally think is amazing. That’s at all ages. The club I coach at now also has a female team which started last year and they have now entered a league as there are enough teams to make one. 

The juniors have girls in the squad and all of the leagues in Bristol have both mixed teams and all female teams competing in them against all boys teams. All in the same league.  

A bowler used to be called a bowlsman and I’m not sure there was any furore when that changed! 

Cricket is the best sport in the world and should be enjoyed by all 

20 minutes ago, And Its Smith said:

It’s fine to say batsman about a male batter I reckon. Just scoreboards are changing to say batter to be more inclusive when women play

I don’t really understand the second question. As far as I know, nobody has an issue with those names.  

I see that @slartibartfast and @Super aren’t fans of this. I really don’t know why anyone cares about females feeling more included in the game.  The female involvement rate is sky high nowadays which I personally think is amazing. That’s at all ages. The club I coach at now also has a female team which started last year and they have now entered a league as there are enough teams to make one. 

Firstly, I was being facetious with my comment about Short Leg.

Secondly, but far more importantly, I endorse entirely your comments about increased female involvement, both as players and spectators.

I was a very avid follower of the recent World Cup (and the previous one, which England won), and watched the final against Australia from start to finish, although I regretted it later, as much because of the lack of sleep as the result.

The quality and standard of play, much like football, has a long way to go before it matches the men’s game, but that doesn’t mean it’s not enjoyable to watch.

• Like 1

Sorry, as I've said before, got nothing against women playing cricket or football...good on them. But I'm very much against the "batters" crap. Just call them as they are , batsmen and batswomen.. Batters play baseball and rounders. It shouldn't be beyond the ingenuity of the people who work scoreboards (as they're mostly all digital ) to change the names to suit each sex .BTW, what do they now call 12th man ?

9 hours ago, slartibartfast said:

Sorry, as I've said before, got nothing against women playing cricket or football...good on them. But I'm very much against the "batters" crap. Just call them as they are , batsmen and batswomen.. Batters play baseball and rounders. It shouldn't be beyond the ingenuity of the people who work scoreboards (as they're mostly all digital ) to change the names to suit each sex .BTW, what do they now call 12th man ?

Drinks carrier?

• Haha 1

9 hours ago, slartibartfast said:

I think you will barely notice it 

13 hours ago, slartibartfast said:

‘ Waitress ‘

??

• Haha 1