IGNORED

The County Cricket Thread

Coppello

On 24/04/2022 at 20:26, tin said:

Spot on, and we weren’t far away last week from drawing with Yorkshire. Two more tough tests up next in Surrey and Hampshire.

At least we will have the cheat and hopefully Payne back to bolster what is a threadbare attack aside from Gohar and Higgins. 

What a return for Payne, Ryan Patel with his first ball. It's a morning for lefty bowlers, thinking about digging out my spikes and popping up to Nevil Rd. :)

4 hours ago, Port Said Red said:

What a return for Payne, Ryan Patel with his first ball. It's a morning for lefty bowlers, thinking about digging out my spikes and popping up to Nevil Rd. :)

Wasn’t it just? He’s the leader of our attack, and we’ve missed him. I was surprised he didn’t take the new ball with the excellent Higgins. 

I’d have rather we had Zafar in the side ahead of the cheat as we’ve been pretty toothless after the new ball wore off, not helped by four drops in the field. 

Burns was hopping around like a cat on a hot tin roof earlier. Could’ve been out four times before he eventually went. His England days look done on that display. 

Edited by tin
  • Like 1

4 hours ago, tin said:

Wasn’t it just? He’s the leader of our attack, and we’ve missed him. I was surprised he didn’t take the new ball with the excellent Higgins. 

I’d have rather we had Zafar in the side ahead of the cheat as we’ve been pretty toothless after the new ball wore off, not helped by four drops in the field. 

Burns was hopping around like a cat on a hot tin roof earlier. Could’ve been out four times before he eventually went. His England days look done on that display. 

26 minutes ago, Lanterne Rouge said:

Just got round to looking at the Somerset score.

What witchcraft is this?

We saw in both games today why putting the opposition in is usually a poor tactic. Yes you might get an early breakthrough like Glos did, but you generally hand over the momentum to the opposition. You are basically showing that you feel the only chance you stand is to take advantage of the conditions in the first session, that gives confidence to the other side over the the next 11 sessions,

14 hours ago, Port Said Red said:

We saw in both games today why putting the opposition in is usually a poor tactic. Yes you might get an early breakthrough like Glos did, but you generally hand over the momentum to the opposition. You are basically showing that you feel the only chance you stand is to take advantage of the conditions in the first session, that gives confidence to the other side over the the next 11 sessions,

My best guess is that a) batting confidence is low seeing that we haven’t scored 300 in either of our three first innings so far, and b) we beat Surrey last year chasing 200 in the final two sessions, so maybe GvB — who scored a ton in that chase — fancied a repeat? 

I didn’t realise Surrey has De Grandhomme in their ranks. Just what we need (and he’s just been bowled first ball of a no ball!)

This umpire is awful. 

• Haha 1

14 hours ago, TomF said:

Especially with being put into bat.  The wicket certainly looked green but clearly wasn’t doing anything.   I hope we push ok tomorrow for 500+ rather than 400 all out 

The latter looks more likely now

49 minutes ago, tin said:

My best guess is that a) batting confidence is low seeing that we haven’t scored 300 in either of our three first innings so far, and b) we beat Surrey last year chasing 200 in the final two sessions, so maybe GvB — who scored a ton in that chase — fancied a repeat? 

I didn’t realise Surrey has De Grandhomme in their ranks. Just what we need (and he’s just been bowled first ball of a no ball!)

This umpire is awful. 

De Grandhomme seemed to think he was playing a Twenty20 game. 

The other possibility for putting them in is that there might be some doubt over Payne's fitness on day 4 after so long out and long COVID 

2 hours ago, Port Said Red said:

De Grandhomme seemed to think he was playing a Twenty20 game. 

The other possibility for putting them in is that there might be some doubt over Payne's fitness on day 4 after so long out and long COVID 

Either way, we’re going to have to bat exceptionally well and considerably better than we have done so far this season just to avoid another innings defeat. 

I know there have been fine margins in our defeats this season, but I was very much in favour of keeping Harvey and Alleyne in charge after such a positive red-ball season last year. I’m not convinced on GvB as captain, either. 

1 hour ago, TomF said:

..and Vic Marks on the commentary.   Friday bliss. 

I wondered who it was.

I have only been listening intermittently, heard frequent references to ‘Treegs’, but couldn’t place the voice.

I have just tuned in again and seen VM and PT together - I thought it was PT commenting when he made reference to playing as a youngster and being intimidated by various Yorkshire players. 

Edited by PHILINFRANCE

Just now, PHILINFRANCE said:

At this stage of the day, and the match in general, what a ridiculous shot that was from Hain.

Two wickets to go.

Enforce the follow on or not?

Not sure TBH. The weather forecast is a bit iffy for Sunday so it might be a good idea but we`ve all seen sides bowled out for nothing first time round who get 500 in the second innings. I`d hate us to not win due to trying to chase a smallish total on an in-and-out day due to the weather.