Jump to content

Welcome to One Team in Bristol - Bristol City Forums

Welcome to One Team in Bristol - Bristol City Forums, like most online communities you must register to view or post in our community, but don't worry this is a simple free process that requires minimal information for you to signup. Be a part of One Team in Bristol - Bristol City Forums by signing in or creating an account.

  • Start new topics and reply to others
  • Full access to all forums (not all viewable as guest)
  • Subscribe to topics and forums to get email updates
  • Get your own profile page and make new friends
  • Send personal messages to other members.
  • Support OTIB with a premium membership

The County Cricket Thread


Recommended Posts

Doesn't look like it's going to be.

But what a season, albeit a truncated one. A real team, 7 different players made centuries, the bowling figures were unreal for our seamers, the youth coming through are already looking like half a future England team.

We've proved we don't rely on spin, we don't need overseas players, although our top order weren't at their best our tail nearly always wags.

The future is bright and something would have been not quite right to win this but still after 125 years we wouldn't have been county champions. Let's do it properly next year.

  • Like 2
Link to post
Share on other sites

How about next time instead of the ridiculous first innings rule which takes no account of the weather over the 5 days , if a draw - they award the trophy to the team amassing the most points over the group stage? There was really no incentive for Essex to do anything once they had a first innings lead.

Link to post
Share on other sites
10 hours ago, Red Army 75 said:

Will have a look seems as though he went off at end . I love my test cricket but that IPL is fantastic entertainment 

 Basically couldn’t hit a barn door for 13-15 balls and then went and hit about 8 sixes off 10 balls 

  • Thanks 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
On 28/09/2020 at 09:42, Midred said:

How about next time instead of the ridiculous first innings rule which takes no account of the weather over the 5 days , if a draw - they award the trophy to the team amassing the most points over the group stage? There was really no incentive for Essex to do anything once they had a first innings lead.

Frankly the trophy should have just been shared in the case of a draw, whatever stipulation you make for a winner after 1 innings whoever is in prime place the team to benefit will drag the game out. Draws aren't uncommon in red ball cricket unlike white ball which is why you have a decider. Test series gets drawn, you don't count most runs scored through the series or anything.

Link to post
Share on other sites
56 minutes ago, Lrrr said:

Frankly the trophy should have just been shared in the case of a draw, whatever stipulation you make for a winner after 1 innings whoever is in prime place the team to benefit will drag the game out. Draws aren't uncommon in red ball cricket unlike white ball which is why you have a decider. Test series gets drawn, you don't count most runs scored through the series or anything.

But it was one of the reasons the final was 5 days, the other thing. Everyone knew the rule before the first ball was bowled in the tournament

Just like the group winners knew only the two highest points winners would qualify for the final

Link to post
Share on other sites
5 hours ago, phantom said:

But it was one of the reasons the final was 5 days, the other thing. Everyone knew the rule before the first ball was bowled in the tournament

Just like the group winners knew only the two highest points winners would qualify for the final

The fact that only 31 wickets fell in 5 days points firmly to the fact that the wicket was also, completely, shite. 

  • Like 1
Link to post
Share on other sites

Oh dear Leicestershire. 

Two of the worst misfields you will see.

One going for a four when it was a basic ball to stop, the other another simple stop off the last ball of the game, going for two giving Nottinghamshire the result

Link to post
Share on other sites

Rain could play a significant part on T20 Blast Finals Day, with a complete washout a possibility.

The semi-finals and final of English cricket’s premier short-form competition are set to take place on Saturday, October 3 at Edgbaston, the latest finish the English county season will have witnessed. But Accuweather suggests there is a 78 per cent chance of precipitation, predicting six hours of rain during the day and three hours in the evening and overnight.

There is a reserve day scheduled, but Accuweather predicts only a slight improvement in the forecast for Sunday, October 4, giving a 66 per cent chance of rain with five and a half hours of rain set to fall during the day.

If there is a washout on both days, a succession of bowl-outs will be used to determine the destination of the 2020 T20 Blast title. Five players from each side will be nominated to bowl two deliveries each at a set of stumps, indoors or outdoors. If scores are equal, the same five bowlers will bowl one ball each on a sudden death basis.

TAKEN FROM:  https://wisden.com/stories/county-cricket/t20-blast-2020/triple-bowl-out-looms-as-rain-threatens-t20-blast-finals-day

Link to post
Share on other sites

Who would of thought trying to play cricket in October was a bad idea. I mean the one day finals in Sept werE bad enough. I appreciate the problems we’ve had but surely could have got this on earlier 

Link to post
Share on other sites
32 minutes ago, TomF said:

Who would of thought trying to play cricket in October was a bad idea. I mean the one day finals in Sept werE bad enough. I appreciate the problems we’ve had but surely could have got this on earlier 

No idea why they waited almost two weeks to play the QFs. Presumably not to clash with the 5 day final but surely they could have been a little more flexible.

Link to post
Share on other sites
20 hours ago, phantom said:

For anyone that missed the disaster ending for Leicestershire

https://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/av/cricket/54376401

Saw it live, they're 'wake up in a cold sweat". Moments for sure.. 

What price Notts after that?!? 

Sadly, it increasingly looks like a total wash-out, would have been cheering Glos on v Surrey... 

  • Like 1
Link to post
Share on other sites

Unsurprisingly, no play today.

If the first semi isn't finished tomorrow, they'll try again on Wednesday.

If the first semi can be finished tomorrow, the other semi and the final will also be completed tomorrow, by bowl-out if necessary.

Edited by Northern Red
Link to post
Share on other sites
On 02/10/2020 at 09:58, cidercity1987 said:

No idea why they waited almost two weeks to play the QFs. Presumably not to clash with the 5 day final but surely they could have been a little more flexible.

Apparently because from October fans would’ve been allowed. Then things changed again.... 

Link to post
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.
Note: Your post will require moderator approval before it will be visible.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

  • Recently Browsing   0 members

    No registered users viewing this page.

×
×
  • Create New...