IGNORED

The County Cricket Thread

Coppello

3 hours ago, TomF said:

Another painful day 

There’s only so much the members can take of watching players they’d never heard of a couple months ago get absolutely hammered before saying enough’s enough.

We all pretended we loved seeing the young players break through last year and the start of this year but now it’s wearing very thin.

You know what a farce it is when Sonny Baker gets called up to the 100, the blokes never played a single T20 game and they even take him off us. 

• Like 2

A really big reason of why I got into cricket was being taken by grandad/dad to watch Somerset play one day cricket on a Sunday with Mushtaq and Andy Caddick in their team.

Why on earth would a young boy/girl fall in love with cricket now being taken to watch a Somerset team lower than a second eleven?

It was a great crowd tonight, how do Somerset sell that next season after this year? Everyone knowing we’ll be watching a team missing 18? players? A Somerset team with non contracted players? Desperately signing players on loan to fill an eleven?

Proud county clubs are being destroyed.

Edited by bearded_red
  • Like 2

Lewis Goldsworthy just out LBW for 111, just two runs short of a 200 run stand with James Rew (currently on 96 NO).

I know the 50 over competition has now been given almost reserve team status, but it is good to see our youngsters doing well.

Such a shame, James Rew just gone for 96.

Edited by PHILINFRANCE

9 minutes ago, slartibartfast said:

Question, Durham have won ONE game, yeah ? Why have they got NO points ?

How else do we not finish bottom? That just wouldn’t be cricket.

They had a 2 point deduction for accumulating a number of minor penalty breaches this season.

Edited by ralphindevon
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, TomF said:

Rew’s going to be in England team by next summers tests I reckon. 

I was watching earlier as the stand (JR and LG) was approaching 200 and was willing both to get Centuries and bring up that stand.

LG got his Century, but was out for 111, just two runs before the 200.

Unfortunately, JR seemed to stutter in his approach to his Century and was out for 96.

Still, what promise they both show, and just hoping they don't get pinched by the awful Hundred before Thursday - I have no idea whether Matt Renshaw will be fit.

Excited to be back to proper cricket and still feels mad that we haven’t been able to watch any of our star players for over a month.

Nassar Hussein added fuel to the fire of there being a south west Hundred team next season, he said what a disaster Welsh Fire had been and how Taunton, Bristol and the West Country can’t be ignored any more. Not sure how I feel about it, at least kids will get to see our best players play locally In August I suppose, presuming they will play for us though in Franchise cricket anything’s possible.

Great to have the skipper back tomorrow, though I guess we’ll be without Overton and Leach. The new signings will be a complete unknown how they’ll get on.

Hope the weather behaves itself. May the best team win.

Any Glos fan want to post their thoughts?

19 hours ago, ralphindevon said:

Excited to be back to proper cricket and still feels mad that we haven’t been able to watch any of our star players for over a month.

Nassar Hussein added fuel to the fire of there being a south west Hundred team next season, he said what a disaster Welsh Fire had been and how Taunton, Bristol and the West Country can’t be ignored any more. Not sure how I feel about it, at least kids will get to see our best players play locally In August I suppose, presuming they will play for us though in Franchise cricket anything’s possible.

Great to have the skipper back tomorrow, though I guess we’ll be without Overton and Leach. The new signings will be a complete unknown how they’ll get on.

Oh look County Cricket is back in Sept and the weather is on the turn. At Least the Hundred had really good weather....

• Sad 1

23 hours ago, ralphindevon said:

Go on then. We are a shambles, a rapidly sinking ship, and despite the rare good start from our openers down in Taunton today, get your money on Somerset to win an innings. 

34 minutes ago, tin said:

Go on then. We are a shambles, a rapidly sinking ship, and despite the rare good start from our openers down in Taunton today, get your money on Somerset to win an innings. 

Ha! I think I'll keep my money thanks,

i have expected more fron Glos this season, they've been saving themselves for today by the looks of it 

21 minutes ago, ralphindevon said:

Ha! I think I'll keep my money thanks,

i have expected more fron Glos this season, they've been saving themselves for today by the looks of it 

The new head coach, Dale Benkenstein, has a lot to answer for IMO and now our best players are jumping ship. We were in a really good place with Harvey and Alleyne at the helm, the wheels have come off spectacularly since they left. It was a poor choice of captain, too. 

I’m not even fussed about this match, considering the insipid performances that’ve seen us go back down after years of building to come back up. A really poor season for us from start to finish, although I judge it mainly on red-ball cricket. 

• Thanks 1

3 hours ago, Mr Popodopolous said:

What has happened to Somerset however, don't recall them being relegation contenders for some time.

We usually have a brilliant spell/month and terrible spell in recent years. Well we had a shocker in April to start the season, then improved, then a washed out final day, when it was sunny everywhere else in the south west, cost us a good chance of a win last time out v Yorkshire .

Then the ridiculous break and now we’re ready for our good month, though I seem to have forgotten to tell the players that today.

Our spell as the longest serving county in the top league is under threat but well in our hands

• Thanks 1

1 hour ago, tin said:

The new head coach, Dale Benkenstein, has a lot to answer for IMO and now our best players are jumping ship. We were in a really good place with Harvey and Alleyne at the helm, the wheels have come off spectacularly since they left. It was a poor choice of captain, too. 

I’m not even fussed about this match, considering the insipid performances that’ve seen us go back down after years of building to come back up. A really poor season for us from start to finish, although I judge it mainly on red-ball cricket. 

That’s a shame, I’d quite gladly we both stay up…….though that’s looking highly unlikely atm.