IGNORED

The County Cricket Thread

Coppello

31 minutes ago, ralphindevon said:

We usually have a brilliant spell/month and terrible spell in recent years. Well we had a shocker in April to start the season, then improved, then a washed out final day, when it was sunny everywhere else in the south west, cost us a good chance of a win last time out v Yorkshire .

Then the ridiculous break and now we’re ready for our good month, though I seem to have forgotten to tell the players that today.

Our spell as the longest serving county in the top league is under threat but well in our hands

Also, it has to be said we’re a very fragile side. Lots of promising youngsters who when they show their promise can match or beat any team.

When it’s not going their way we can easily be skittled for sub 100.

We’re a very different team with CraigO in it but that hasn’t been so much nowadays and this game we don’t have Siddle or a Leach either of course. 

Rivalry aside, wouldn't mind Somerset staying up too much. 

Was an interesting point by @tin about Gloucestershire, would we have done better had Alleyne and Harvey stayed? Guessing was during Covid, fallen a bit out of touch with the team last couple of years.

Double checked and Dawson was the promotion winning coach.

Edited by Mr Popodopolous

1 hour ago, Mr Popodopolous said:

Rivalry aside, wouldn't mind Somerset staying up too much. 

Was an interesting point by @tin about Gloucestershire, would we have done better had Alleyne and Harvey stayed? Guessing was during Covid, fallen a bit out of touch with the team last couple of years.

Double checked and Dawson was the promotion winning coach.

I’d be happy for Somerset to stay up, too. They’d be certs to come back up, whereas I think we will struggle without new signings to replace the quality we’ve lost. I’m not overly impressed with  the signing of Marchant de Lange either.

IMHO we’d have stayed up with Harv and Boo-boo in charge. The style of four-day cricket has changed at Glos this year, it’s become far riskier and it’s backfired terribly. We’ve let draws turn into defeats, wins turn into draws and in some cases defeats. Really poor.

• Thanks 1

7 minutes ago, slartibartfast said:

Watching on the stream, it does make I laugh, according to the Somerset comms, most of Glos 8 wickets yesterday were down to "poor shots ", but low and behold, just tuned in as Glos first wicket fell and  "...........great ball from Davey"     Not just football fans that tend to be one eyed, then ?

You do like a moan don't you? Just enjoy the fact you are winning this.

Somerset 2nd best all round so far this match. 

This is the smallest crowd I've been in at Taunton for years, msybe ever for a game at this stage. I don't  think the previous 2 days were much better. 

Not sure if it's the forecast or people are falling out of love with cricket, what with all the bickering and devision caused by the 100.

I know I'm feeling very flat about it all atm

The bonus points actually with this being the game in hand also drag Warwickshire back into the mix. As it stands Warwickshire just a point above...would be 7 behind if a draw.

Gap to Kent is now as it stands 11 points AND with a game in hand.

Rain at Kent, longer that goes on the more chance of a draw potentially. 

2 hours ago, Super said:

Chucking it down in Bristol no rain in Taunton?!

It was wet when I arrived at 10.20 and been pretty much sunny since. 

Why couldn't have been like this on that intriguing final day v Yorkshire when a ball wasn't bowled.?

Perhaps the rain gods will be with us tomorrow, once Abell gets a century that is 

27 minutes ago, TomF said:

Yeah it looks like Somerset might escape with a draw and I definitely mean an escape as we’ve been outplayed all game 

We can’t count our chickens though, we’ve already been bowled out for 69 at Taunton this season and the rain keeps weirdly missing Taunton this week during the day.

For confidence it would be great to get some runs for few wickets tomorrow 

1 hour ago, TomF said:

Well the forecast is mixed, looks like it will be isolated showers.. in a way not sure we deserve to get out of it with a draw but I'll take it. 

Nice of Glos to continue batting and take a few more overs out of the day, they do seem to want to help us get the draw.