IGNORED

The County Cricket Thread

Coppello

17 minutes ago, TomF said:

Gubbins was probably more dodgy.   Not denying Norwell though, he deserved every wicket.

I wasn’t watching for that decision, you need a bit of luck on a day like that

I must admit, although I love going to Taunton etc to watch live cricket, these live streams are absolutely brilliant. I can’t believe they’re free, I would be happy to pay a bit   For a streaming season ticket if it meant you could tune into any county stream. Especially if the money went on improving the streams.

1 hour ago, Mr Popodopolous said:

Thanks for this.

Definitely a day of the 4 day cricket tbh, I think it's be a great place to while away a day. Might consider membersbip but definitely 4 day is uppermost in mind.

It usually sells out for the 4 day stuff I assume so book early?

The four-day games are very well attended, so definitely book early. The fixtures should be out before the end of the year, I’d recommend getting them then. 

• Thanks 1

1 hour ago, TomF said:

Just seems to have world of injury pains this year reading up. I'd imagine he'd be on the fringes of the England squad if he put in performances like that more often, he's got that extra height/bounce that England selectors love.

He was on standby for the Windies tour earlier this year when they left Anderson and Broad at home.

18 hours ago, slartibartfast said:

Yes, left with Craig Miles couple of years ago .

And both have spent more time on the treatment table than on the field. I watched a lot of Norwell at Glos and while his class was undoubted, his front-on action was always likely to cause injury problems. That he got off the treatment table to bowl a spell of 19 overs unbroken was a Herculean effort (and **** Yorkshire, arrogant *****) 

• Like 1

52 minutes ago, Lanterne Rouge said:

Yes the offences were a long time ago now and from his time at Yorkshire, nothing moves quick in the ECB.

A couple of tweets where he used the N word in tweets to friends and the other was an incident that maybe had some City fans thinking.

He started calling his Indian Yorkshire teammate Cheteshwar Punjara “Steve” as it was easier to pronounce. Rather like City fans called Famara Diedhiou “Dave” for similar reasons when he arrived.

Azeem Rafiq was also amongst those reprimanded.

Hopefully Richard Gould will scrap the absolute tosh that is the Hundred. I'd also favour a total restructure of the cricket fixtures. Get either the T20 or 50 over competition out of the way before the County Championship starts. Play the County Championship through in its entirety, then finish with the remaining limited overs competition. 

Alternatively play the 50 overs London Cup to a conclusion first, the play the County Championship alongside the T20 or a reintroduced 40 over  Sunday League competition. 

Edited by RoystonFoote'snephew
Added content
  • Like 1

2 hours ago, Northern Red said:

There's a broadcast deal for it until 2028 so they'll either have to continue with it in some form or come up with an alternative (franchise T20 most likely) to keep Sky happy.

Perhaps migrate the blast into the hundred? 

Bring in a franchise element e.g. a draft  for overseas players ?

Edited by The Humble Realist

On 25/10/2022 at 12:29, The Humble Realist said:

I wonder how much 'peril' the mens hundred is in. 

Not a lot of news since the initial outrage from.counties after strauss review. 

Be interesting to see what unfolds once Gould is in. 

20221025_122732.jpg.4b13771681d20934b5e0d2a911d0cd05.jpg

All the counties have been having members meetings recently and are gauging members thoughts as we speak.

Its sounding like most counties are on the same page and there’s a lot of noise about actually reducing the 100 window. Either fewer games/teams or just condensed.

Apparently at every meeting it (The 100) has been the Elephant in the room. As @Northern Red says there’s a TV deal until 2028 which is the sticking point.

My thoughts are it’s obviously become so divisive and such a problem the TV contract should be torn up and a new one written where the Blast takes it’s place with as much advertising and money thrown at it and obviously shown on FTA tv. But what do I know? 

• Like 3

6 hours ago, ralphindevon said:

All the counties have been having members meetings recently and are gauging members thoughts as we speak.

Its sounding like most counties are on the same page and there’s a lot of noise about actually reducing the 100 window. Either fewer games/teams or just condensed.

Apparently at every meeting it (The 100) has been the Elephant in the room. As @Northern Red says there’s a TV deal until 2028 which is the sticking point.

My thoughts are it’s obviously become so divisive and such a problem the TV contract should be torn up and a new one written where the Blast takes it’s place with as much advertising and money thrown at it and obviously shown on FTA tv. But what do I know? 

Yeah I would love to see it scrapped. 

What powers to the counties actually have to change the window/reduce the number of teams? Or is the thinking that people like gould have been appointed and they will drive the change (on the counties behalf)?

I wonder if the exclusive August window coupled with the strauss review has tipped it over the edge. 

16 minutes ago, The Humble Realist said:

Yeah I would love to see it scrapped. 

What powers to the counties actually have to change the window/reduce the number of teams? Or is the thinking that people like gould have been appointed and they will drive the change (on the counties behalf)?

I wonder if the exclusive August window coupled with the strauss review has tipped it over the edge. 

Although the counties don’t have any direct say in the 100 they obviously have a big influence as without the counties the whole cricket system breaks down in this country.

The difficult balance I guess is the players, especially the likes of Will Smeed who can go and earn a decent wage in August as well as putting themselves in the even more lucrative IPL shop window. Remember Smeed hasn’t played a single first class cricket match in his life.

But without Somerset Smeed wouldn’t have been able to get to where he is, so it’s a difficult balance and a difficult era in English cricket.

It of course could have been done so much better than creating a tournament that nobody else in the world plays and not playing any of it in the cricketing hotbed that is the West Country.

Richard Gould will once again link up with former Surrey colleague Richard Thompson, from what I’ve heard neither are fans of the 100 but both realise big money has to be made. 

On 27/10/2022 at 15:51, Lanterne Rouge said:

Have we got Rilee back for the white ball stuff next season? I hope so!

I’m not sure if it’s signed and sealed but I do know it’s one of the most enjoyable stays he’s ever had at a club.

He loved Taunton, the crowd, his team mates, all of course helped by his brilliant form. So he wants to come back and I’m sure the club want him back. 

• Like 1

Well as expected at least two thirds of the counties have rejected Strauss’ plans to reduce the amount of county championship games.

Also, as I mentioned earlier this week, The 100 is likely to be reduced from the current 5 weeks allowing more championship cricket to be played by the counties.

Still a lot to sort out but good news so far I think.

https://www.thetimes.co.uk/article/fc56d8dc-56b1-11ed-a03e-f7ac672386f7?shareToken=072549e92dc671ac9f79327b908515fb

• Like 2

On 26/10/2022 at 21:33, phantom said:

I'm not honestly sure how much say the counties get. 

They obviously get financial rewards for hosting the games but if push came to shove if someone else runs the competition I'd bet it would continue 

Don’t the counties have to allow it to run due to it being a non county based domestic competition, obviously financial gain is the current makeweight to allow it 

57 minutes ago, Lrrr said:

Don’t the counties have to allow it to run due to it being a non county based domestic competition, obviously financial gain is the current makeweight to allow it 

Besides the centrally contracted players, who despite being assigned to 100 teams only seem to play one game before needing a rest, the rest of the players, except foreign imports belong to to the counties.

At the moment they let them play the 100 and in return get financially rewarded but in theory they could stop them playing, it won’t ever get that far as there would be no point in upsetting the counties as they’re too important to English cricket.

I’m expecting the 100 to have a much shorter window in 2024, with grounds holding double headers every day.