IGNORED

The County Cricket Thread

Coppello

Not being funny but I presumed you had. WTF happened there?!

Apart from a string of no balls and sixes, you mean?

There is some excuse for bowling no balls when desperate for wickets.

There is no, repeat NO, excuse for bowling no balls when the opposition needs 17 an over with five down.

I don't see how he can that much with the way the membership system works. There is also a wage cap in coun5y cricket. Where Glos seem to suffer is crowds on the 4 day games.. ?

I don't believe that some clubs are following the wage cap. I also don't believe that if SL went to GCCC with a funding proposal (that was put to members) that it wouldn't have a shout at being accepted.

Until that over he'd only gone for runs off one ball? Utterly bizarre. Was he banned from finishing the over or injury??

"Wright hit four sixes off it, the last after Fuller had been ordered out of the attack for two no-balled full tosses and Craig Miles was forced to bowl the final delivery." From Cricinfo.

What a fiasco :grr:

PS and those full tosses went for six and four :facepalm:

Edited by Aizoon

Surrey being the obvious one that everyone assumes has creative accounting. However they make their money from ludecruous amounts of corp hospitality and match day prices! However the clubs with money aren't exactly doing that well if you look at Surrey, Lancs, Hants, Notts etc..

Surrey being the obvious one that everyone assumes has creative accounting. However they make their money from ludecruous amounts of corp hospitality and match day prices! However the clubs with money aren't exactly doing that well if you look at Surrey, Lancs, Hants, Notts etc..

We'll last season div 1 included yorks, Durham, warks, lancs, nots, Middlesex - all test grounds. Of the others only Glamorgan haven't been in div1 recently. Surrey, Hants have all thrown cash at players but I guess my point ( and irritation) is other counties who manage to pay top dollar and attract top (one day / T20 in particular) players. Dare I mention who I'm getting at ( a certain Christ Gayle?!!). Look, Somerset are well run but how can they be attracting better players than Glos? I just want glos to be competitive I guess.

We'll last season div 1 included yorks, Durham, warks, lancs, nots, Middlesex - all test grounds. Of the others only Glamorgan haven't been in div1 recently. Surrey, Hants have all thrown cash at players but I guess my point ( and irritation) is other counties who manage to pay top dollar and attract top (one day / T20 in particular) players. Dare I mention who I'm getting at ( a certain Christ Gayle?!!). Look, Somerset are well run but how can they be attracting better players than Glos? I just want glos to be competitive I guess.

I haven't seen figures for this or last season but when I last looked, Somerset had more members than all but a couple counties, bigger championship attendances than every county.

They certainly still have far bigger crowds than Glamorgan, Hampshire and Durham, who have international grounds.

I haven't seen figures for this or last season but when I last looked, Somerset had more members than all but a couple counties, bigger championship attendances than every county.

They certainly still have far bigger crowds than Glamorgan, Hampshire and Durham, who have international grounds.

Yep, but not sure that membership has a massive impact on income in cricket - more about ECB funding and i guess capacity ( so Test grounds in urban areas do better eg 1 T20 match at the Oval generates big cash i'd imagine)? V happy to be proved wrong on this though.

Yep, but not sure that membership has a massive impact on income in cricket - more about ECB funding and i guess capacity ( so Test grounds in urban areas do better eg 1 T20 match at the Oval generates big cash i'd imagine)? V happy to be proved wrong on this though.

Yes I'm sure you're right. Having said that I know Yorkshire and Durham, both of whom have one a the championship in recent years, had huge debts, while Somerset are nearly always in profit.

Well over 100 years and counting for Somerset.

It's sad to see Thomas going around the park but he'd be better off concentrating on 4 day stuff like Tres. The last 2 seasons he's been pretty awful.

Possibly because he's been found out or maybe it's just his age creeping up on him. He used to be a decent death bowler.

Yorkshire look like winning back to back titles as well. Even with half their team playing for England they are some side.. Hell of a knock by Bresnan again - that's at least his second ton of the season.

At the close of play yesterday I think Bresnans average was 69 and a bit. I have no idea what it will be after today. Similarly Bairstows average should be over 100 in Div 1 now. This is with Finch playing garbage and Root, Lyth and Ballance off with England. Oh, and we get Kane Williamson soon too for the run in. This is a very, very special Yorkshire team- runs and wickets come from all through the team and I fully expect us to win the championship again this year. Just need to translate into a little more consistency in the shorter forms