IGNORED

The County Cricket Thread

Coppello

Not been following it so much lately, cricket but not England related this bit.

Historic first test between the 2 new nations- Afghanistan v Ireland, played in India.

'Home' side won by 7 wickets early on Day 4...think they could actually in those conditions be a bit of a handful for non subcontinental but established Test sides. Ireland joined Test cricket a bit too late really- their golden generation of 2007 WC and one day cricket where they performed well at times now an aging one...of those 2 at this time, Afghanistan are the ones to watch IMO.

Given what that country has been through for generations, civil war and that- to win their 2nd Test (even though it was v Ireland in subcontinental conditions) marks them out as an interesting side in the making. 6 players aged under 25 in that team, with one of that age.

Edited by Mr Popodopolous
  • Like 1

23 minutes ago, Mr Popodopolous said:

Not been following it so much lately, cricket but not England related this bit.

Historic first test between the 2 new nations- Afghanistan v Ireland, played in India.

'Home' side won by 7 wickets early on Day 4...think they could actually in those conditions be a bit of a handful for non subcontinental but established Test sides. Ireland joined Test cricket a bit too late really- their golden generation of 2007 WC and one day cricket where they performed well at times now an aging one...of those 2 at this time, Afghanistan are the ones to watch IMO.

Given what that country has been through for generations, civil war and that- to win their 2nd Test (even though it was v Ireland in subcontinental conditions) marks them out as an interesting side in the making. 6 players aged under 25 in that team, with one of that age.

Yes we are in the dreaded 'transition' phase now. In fairness Ireland haven't had much non ODI or T20 practice against good or established sides though. 

The rise of the Afghanistan cricket team must be one of the great sporting stories of all time. Good on them.

18 minutes ago, MichaelRobartes said:

Yes we are in the dreaded 'transition' phase now. In fairness Ireland haven't had much non ODI or T20 practice against good or established sides though. 

The rise of the Afghanistan cricket team must be one of the great sporting stories of all time. Good on them.

Yeah, I'm sure you will come again in due course- probably have a better structure in place now than when you broke onto the scene in the mid 2000's, especially that 2007 WC. Just thinking though..say 5 years ago? Porterfield, Stirling, Joyce, Morgan, Rankin, Dockrell- maybe also add in some like Wilson and a younger Murtagh? Had it been mid 2010's you began Test cricket, that'd have been the makings of a competitive spine vs all but the top 3 or 4, on home soil even some tough games for them. Sure I've missed a few as well. Oh yeah, the O'Briens- not a bad side that! You lost a few to us which makes a difference but that side could have been tricky opposition in Irish conditions especially.

It is- good luck to them. Seems to have come out of nowhere- helps that they are near a cricketing hotbed i.e. the subcontinent though, but still incredible.

Edited by Mr Popodopolous
  • Thanks 1

52 minutes ago, Mr Popodopolous said:

Yeah, I'm sure you will come again in due course- probably have a better structure in place now than when you broke onto the scene in the mid 2000's, especially that 2007 WC. Just thinking though..say 5 years ago? Porterfield, Stirling, Joyce, Morgan, Rankin, Dockrell- maybe also add in some like Wilson and a younger Murtagh? Had it been mid 2010's you began Test cricket, that'd have been the makings of a competitive spine vs all but the top 3 or 4, on home soil even some tough games for them. Sure I've missed a few as well. Oh yeah, the O'Briens- not a bad side that! You lost a few to us which makes a difference but that side could have been tricky opposition in Irish conditions especially.

It is- good luck to them. Seems to have come out of nowhere- helps that they are near a cricketing hotbed i.e. the subcontinent though, but still incredible.

The structure is definitely better. Losing Joyce, Morgan and Rankin for a while obviously hurt us but some of those guys are still around and Balbirnie is starting to come good. Hopefully we'll get more regular matches against the established sides in the future. Given the mess the ICC have made of the World Cup and World T20s for the developing sides I won't be holding my breath though!

Totally agree that Afghanistan will trouble a few sides and probably cause a few upsets in the near future, especially at home.

• Thanks 1

Just seen it, thats awful, Jos hasn't even left the crease when Ashwin stops he waits for Jos to leave his crease, could've sworn that way of doing it was against the rules as opposed to bowler stopping when seeing them out of the crease.

2 hours ago, hodge said:

Just seen it, thats awful, Jos hasn't even left the crease when Ashwin stops he waits for Jos to leave his crease, could've sworn that way of doing it was against the rules as opposed to bowler stopping when seeing them out of the crease.

I dont think he had any intention to bowl the delivery. So wrong, takes something to upset Jos thought he was going to kill him. I see Warne has slaughtered Ashwin on twitter!

20 minutes ago, Super said:

I dont think he had any intention to bowl the delivery. So wrong, takes something to upset Jos thought he was going to kill him. I see Warne has slaughtered Ashwin on twitter!

Nope didn't look it, all IPL captains have to sign up to a code of conduct to play the game in the right spirit as well apparently :laugh:  Warne's one to talk, didn't he do it to Marlon Samuels...

• Admin
14 hours ago, Gimme Shelton said:

Sneaky from Ashwin but why is Jos out of his crease? Naive at best,just don't give him the chance. You can watch the ball leave the hand and still get a yard or so down the pitch.

Was listening on Talksport last night, apparently been highlighted before that Jos loses concentration at the crease quite often, would assume it was something that was highlighted

• Like 1

On 28/03/2019 at 11:27, phantom said:

Hearing that Somerset have been asked to bat James Hildreth at 3 with an eye to him going into that slot for the ashes series

Already hit one decent knock of 158no albeit against Cardiff MCCU

Only ten years too late, but where did you hear that?

Since posting, I have just checked the 'Grockles' thread:

The word doing the Somerset rounds is that Hildreth is batting at No.3 in the current match, and will do so against Kent, at the request of the England selectors ahead of this summer`s Ashes. 

Is there still hope of that elusive England cap at the age of 34.

Edited by PHILINFRANCE
  • Like 1

• Admin
1 hour ago, PHILINFRANCE said:

Only ten years too late, but where did you hear that?

A friend of mine that spends half his life in Taunton and the other in Bedminster.

Usually spot on with his info (about cricket), he's still adamant Jos wants to come back South

• Thanks 1