IGNORED

The Ashes

bs3

Are you 11 years old? Your banter is terrible.

It's not banter. I'm just pointing out we do very well in everything we do.

Why we don't get as nice a welcome as the Kiwis I can only assume is because we win a lot more and our mindset is different to theirs.

His banter is "Australian" banter, the worst of the worst.

As for the Aussies being "good at everything" - maybe 10 years ago, but Aussie sport has been in decline for a while now. We even have better tennis players than them FFS :clapping:

"we"?

You're Scottish are you? Cos that is the only one.

And on the decline eh?

So in cricket we've gone from being the best in the world 10 years ago to......

The best in the world.

Ok.....

It's not banter. I'm just pointing out we do very well in everything we do.

Why we don't get as nice a welcome as the Kiwis I can only assume is because we win a lot more and our mindset is different to theirs.

No, I think English folk prefer Kiwi's because they are much more down to earth than the general Australian.

Australia is largely an Americanized country where the people are often obnoxious and arrogant (which you are doing a great job of proving on this thread).  New Zealand is more European and I have found it's heritage and culture to be vastly superior to plastic Australia. 

...And that isn't banter! :clapping:

**** me, this is going to be a long summer.....I used to quite enjoy your football posts, Aussie, but you're coming across as a real **** on this thread

I dont suffer from split personality disorder, I am the same bloke who makes the football posts, as the cricket posts or even as the general election posts.

It just seems that on this thread and on prior cricket ones, there are some on here that seem to have some dislike of us as Australians for - well it genuinely does beat me as to why - I think we play hard on sports but I think we play fair.

One of the things about us and our country in general which I think even my old man - the died in the wool pommy bloke from Kingswood - will admit is that we as a country have a sense of fair play and of being the underdog.

It's called the Aussie Battler. John Howard tried to use it to his advantage and call them the Howard battlers but thats for another time - what I am saying is that where you see an arrogance - its not. Its a self confident belief in that we need to win hard but fair and make sure Australia wins.

We dont have an empire, we dont have a history of colonising the world and all that - so we have a profound sense of nation around battling against the odds. Be it at Gallipolli or more often in sport.

Its what puts us on the map and at the top of the tree.

True blokes like Warner and Haddin can come across as *****, I get that but as a country we rally around our sports sides.

Why there seems to be such a dislike from some on here towards us - well I just guess thats their problem, not ours.

And I think the biggest sport in Australia is cricket.

I'm not sure on numbers but purely because its the true national game.

AFL is played by VIC, TAS, SA and WA.

NRL is played by NSW and QLD.

Rugby union by NSW, QLD and WA.

Everyone plays and watches cricket.

I dont suffer from split personality disorder, I am the same bloke who makes the football posts, as the cricket posts or even as the general election posts.

It just seems that on this thread and on prior cricket ones, there are some on here that seem to have some dislike of us as Australians for - well it genuinely does beat me as to why - I think we play hard on sports but I think we play fair.

One of the things about us and our country in general which I think even my old man - the died in the wool pommy bloke from Kingswood - will admit is that we as a country have a sense of fair play and of being the underdog.

It's called the Aussie Battler. John Howard tried to use it to his advantage and call them the Howard battlers but thats for another time - what I am saying is that where you see an arrogance - its not. Its a self confident belief in that we need to win hard but fair and make sure Australia wins.

We dont have an empire, we dont have a history of colonising the world and all that - so we have a profound sense of nation around battling against the odds. Be it at Gallipolli or more often in sport.

True blokes like Warner and Haddin can come across as *****, I get that but as a country we rally around our sports sides.

Why there seems to be such a dislike from some on here towards us - well I just guess thats their problem, not ours.

bigger+boat.png

Fair play, I really don't remember the Aussie's classing themselves as underdogs though! Read back through your posts on this thread, it comes across that you've never met a dog, let alone been under one!

For me, Australia at sport are like R*vers, if they weren't there we'd have to invent them. You need that team, that country that you just want to beat every time you look at them. That isn't different to the way the Aussie's feel about us, and that's not a bad thing. It's what makes sport what it is, something to love, and fear at the same time 

I'm sure Jimmy and Broad aren't liked in Aus, they are our Warner & Haddin I guess. I'm not a massive fan of Broad, as a person, but I'd back him every time whilst he's wearing the shirt

Only 5 days away now, I think I love The Ashes more than any other sporting event, I can't wait. Think it will be a good series, a little closer than most people are predicting

You think Aussies are bad, I quite like them, they play hard but a fair game.

The Safa's on the other hand... Arrogant ***** they are. I haven't met a nice one!

I think you are on to something about the ones that live overseas.

However, I have lived in Johannesburg for 4-5 months and I found them to be some of the most friendly and welcoming people out there.

Think the Aussies will retain the ashes but wont win the series...

1-1. Hope England just ram the overconfidence of some Oz fans right back down their throats, this Aussie team is nowhere near as good as some of its predeccesors.

Not a patch on the team that kept turning us over every time. In our conditions there really is nothing to be scared of. Been listening to some Radio 5 podcasts on the drive to work, you go back 20 years, they were beaten before a ball was bowled, they were in awe of them. There's no need for the young lads to be in awe of them, and the experienced players have beaten them home and away, we need to rid ourselves of the inferiority complex with this lot

And I think the biggest sport in Australia is cricket.

I'm not sure on numbers but purely because its the true national game.

AFL is played by VIC, TAS, SA and WA.

NRL is played by NSW and QLD.

Rugby union by NSW, QLD and WA.

Everyone plays and watches cricket.

AFL has most spectators at a venue

NRL has most TV spectators

Football (soccer, if you will) has the most regular participants

So, no it's not really

NOTE: in the interests of fairness, I strongly suspect that a home ashes series has the most spectators per match both at home and at the venue, but obviously that only happens every few years

"we"?

You're Scottish are you? Cos that is the only one.

And on the decline eh?

So in cricket we've gone from being the best in the world 10 years ago to......

The best in the world.

Ok.....

So, you've named one sport cricket...in which we handsomely beat you at last time you were on British shores...

This "sporting nation" thing is a myth. You have the most fickle sports fans in the world - just look at all the empty stadiums there were "down under" when England gave you a pasting in the Ashes before last! Fickle beyond belief. One big sporting family my arse, when the going gets tough, Aussies get going... to anywhere other than supporting their team.

AFL has most spectators at a venue

NRL has most TV spectators

Football (soccer, if you will) has the most regular participants

So, no it's not really

NOTE: in the interests of fairness, I strongly suspect that a home ashes series has the most spectators per match both at home and at the venue, but obviously that only happens every few years

I'm sure you're right but I'm going on experience culturally.

Walk around Sydney or all of Queensland on AFL Grand Final Day and majority won't even know a game is on.

Same with NRL GF in Melbourne and that's when the Storm are even in the final!

Whereas cricket - everyone plays it and everyone will be watching us win the Ashes or have an interest.

It's the one truly national sport.

No, I think English folk prefer Kiwi's because they are much more down to earth than the general Australian.

Australia is largely an Americanized country where the people are often obnoxious and arrogant (which you are doing a great job of proving on this thread).  New Zealand is more European and I have found it's heritage and culture to be vastly superior to plastic Australia. 

...And that isn't banter! :clapping:

And Greek, Croat....

Archived