IGNORED

Bradford Sell 17K Season Tickets

This was just an example, although only 16k season tickets in a 27k stadium would be awful, the club need to come up with a strategy for filling the ground, and pricing is very key to this, with TV money and other revenue (esp in the Prem) the gate money really is secondary

But it does not work that way. More people requires more policing, more stewarding, more hospitality, more ticket checkers, more cleaners etc etc etc.

It really isn't as simple as get as many in as possible. It would be very easy to get to a point whereby season tickets are much less profitable and why the club may financially need to price it to get a reasonable and steady potd income - which is great for cash flow throughout the season.

Plus remember in Bradford a lot of the extra staff are probably more than happy to take min wage. Down South that's a harder sell and/or harder to keep motivated.

When the grounds finished I think the club will have to do something similar if they want to fill it. It doesn't have to be as extreme as Bradford's prices but they'd definitely have to lower them even if it's just for a few seasons to get people interested/hooked like most of us are.

Not sure that having a ST for 25 years denotes a "real fan".

I have the misfortune to know people in that bracket who moan and shout abuse at our players at every opportunity - the only support they give is with their money. We could do without those particular people tbh. I'm sure there are plenty of 25 year ST holders who are the opposite and give good support, but just the fact that people have had ST for a long time doesn't automatically equate to good support imo.

Really?!

I think financially supporting a team 'up front' for a quarter of a century is great support.....I think there's actually a difference between a 'supporter' and a 'fan' (fanatic)....

One thing and one thing alone will double our season tickets sales.

Not price, not free shirts, not payment plan options or loyalty discounts.

Premiership Football will be the only way of regularly filling Ashton Gate for Bristol City matches.

But it does not work that way. More people requires more policing, more stewarding, more hospitality, more ticket checkers, more cleaners etc etc etc.

It really isn't as simple as get as many in as possible. It would be very easy to get to a point whereby season tickets are much less profitable and why the club may financially need to price it to get a reasonable and steady potd income - which is great for cash flow throughout the season.

Plus remember in Bradford a lot of the extra staff are probably more than happy to take min wage. Down South that's a harder sell and/or harder to keep motivated.

Apologies about the crudity of this thread, I haven't had time to work out all of the logistics or build it to scale! It's really rather simple though, you work out your costs for the season based on various potential attendances, then you work out how much you will take through catering, corporate, security, away fans etc etc then you are able to work out what you can charge to cover costs and make the profit you need or want as a club. This example also doesn't take into account offsetting potential earnings from ticket prices with TV revenue or other income streams. Your example of cheaper labour up North is completely flawed as the minimum wage is the same here as it is there, that's also forgetting the possibility of having volunteers I.e. Like they did at the Olympics and still do at other sporting events such as the British GP. My point is where there is a will there is a way, and various options can and should be considered to offer the very best value to the fans, whilst covering the costs and filling the stadium, it's not a black and white situation. Some business act ethically now and there is an opportunity for clubs to do the same but for fans.

They've done well with 'incentive' approaches. Has been going on since they well and truly ****** up ad ended up in League 2.

Excluding the circumstances that drove them to it originally, they've kept their incentives going to keep fans coming back.

A flagship example of how to bring in larger crowds. Stadium size does help though, but think it's mainly aimed at clubs who have larger stadiums and aren't at their respective/aspired level to draw the crowds they'd like.

Apologies about the crudity of this thread, I haven't had time to work out all of the logistics or build it to scale! It's really rather simple though, you work out your costs for the season based on various potential attendances, then you work out how much you will take through catering, corporate, security, away fans etc etc then you are able to work out what you can charge to cover costs and make the profit you need or want as a club. This example also doesn't take into account offsetting potential earnings from ticket prices with TV revenue or other income streams. Your example of cheaper labour up North is completely flawed as the minimum wage is the same here as it is there, that's also forgetting the possibility of having volunteers I.e. Like they did at the Olympics and still do at other sporting events such as the British GP. My point is where there is a will there is a way, and various options can and should be considered to offer the very best value to the fans, whilst covering the costs and filling the stadium, it's not a black and white situation. Some business act ethically now and there is an opportunity for clubs to do the same but for fans.

Just a wild shot in the dark here, but I'm assuming that you have never worked in a job that deals with the budgeting and finances for a professional football club..?!

Absolute rubbish, I and my two sons were season ticket holders for years.

I alone have been going to City since 1976.

But now we are in a different situation with both my lads playing or refereeing on a Saturday.

There is no point in us getting season tickets as we can only get to a few games.

We will then turn up for games 'we can get to' regardless of whether we are top or bottom of the league.

Yeah I see your point, but it doesn't change the fact that you aren't season ticket holders and still wouldn't be if they were a bit cheaper.

Yeah I see your point, but it doesn't change the fact that you aren't season ticket holders and still wouldn't be if they were a bit cheaper.

Agreed, but I was replying to a post which claimed all non ST holders are fickle and only turn up when we are doing well.

That's not true.

Agreed, but I was replying to a post which claimed all non ST holders are fickle and only turn up when we are doing well.

That's not true.

That isn't true, or what I said..!

I certainly didn't say "all" and I was referring more to Bristol public in general, who aren't STH's already and are very lethargic about supporting any of our local sports teams.

We invented working pensioners....huzzah..

Just a wild shot in the dark here, but I'm assuming that you have never worked in a job that deals with the budgeting and finances for a professional football club..?!

What does that have to do with it? Budgeting is budgeting, business is business, it doesn't matter whether it's football or potatoes, the principals are exactly the same, if some football clubs were run better they wouldn't loose millions of pounds each and every year. I'm surprised you don't understand this to be honest?

This is why moneyball type thinking, strategy etc etc is coming into football more and more, because mindless spending and passion will be the death of football in the end. Smaller clubs like ours need to think and do things differently if we want to continue and thrive and grow. When Lansdown cashes in his chips eventually the club has to be viable financially both on and off the pitch. Initiatives like Bradfords will help ensure the fan bases grows, by attracting more people to games, I.e. Through better pricing, family friendly facilities, non football related income etc etc and from the looks of it we are starting to do this which is great, and it's exactly why Bristol Sport is important. It doesn't take working or not working in a football club to understand this.

What does that have to do with it? Budgeting is budgeting, business is business, it doesn't matter whether it's football or potatoes, the principals are exactly the same, if some football clubs were run better they wouldn't loose millions of pounds each and every year. I'm surprised you don't understand this to be honest?

This is why moneyball type thinking, strategy etc etc is coming into football more and more, because mindless spending and passion will be the death of football in the end. Smaller clubs like ours need to think and do things differently if we want to continue and thrive and grow. When Lansdown cashes in his chips eventually the club has to be viable financially both on and off the pitch. Initiatives like Bradfords will help ensure the fan bases grows, by attracting more people to games, I.e. Through better pricing, family friendly facilities, non football related income etc etc and from the looks of it we are starting to do this which is great, and it's exactly why Bristol Sport is important. It doesn't take working or not working in a football club to understand this.

I understand the benefits, but I'm cautious about the reality of offering cheap tickets, regularly.

As someone else said, all match day costs increase, significantly, when attendances are higher.

My biggest concern would be that once you "devalue" a product, it is nigh on impossible to push the prices back up.

Maybe a one off mega deal for a season, yes, that could work to get people in who then hopefully renew at full price in the seasons after that, but as an on going business plan I believe it is suicidal.

Filling the completed ground regularly will be a massive task (I don't think it will happen regularly without making it to the prem) and initiatives will no doubt be needed, BUT it's far more complicated than just slashing the prices.

Archived