IGNORED

The Official Sheffield Wednesday V Champions Match Day Thread

FT 2-0...did not play well as a team, Freeman tried hard but lost the ball more times that I can remember him ever doing last season. Wilbs/Kodger never got in the game. We got a bit overrun in midfield. A reminder overall that we will get less time & space in this league... Burns played well after replacing Joe.

Have to remember that if we had scored from our 1st corner instead of it being a goal-line clearance it could have ended so differently. No need to panic just yet, just pick ourselves up and regroup.

Have to agree with you completely my biggest concern was that without Kieran Agard harrying defenders Wilbs/ Kodger looked static  and Fredericks did not seem to drive on like Little - still early days .

Not much to say really. We lost against a better team on the day. First half very much on stand by. Second half Tuneited stepped it up and deserved their win. 1) Burns 2) Ayiling and 3) Fredericks our best players. Smith and even more Freeman got isolated and hardly got us playmaking leaving it to Pack but unluckily enough also to Flint and Williams. Robinson got an impact and we could not have asked for more from him. Kodjia showed one glimpse of what he is capable of. Through balls for did not click. Today.      

Edited by bristolcitysweden

Did anyone honestly think that our first game in a higher division, away to a big team was going to be easy?

Like many, I was disappointed with every aspect of our pre-season - but we still have time to bring people in and get this side working together.

You simply cannot judge what this season is going to be like from one game.

Early last season, I watched us get knocked out the League Cup at Ashton Gate by a side that was bottom of L2. And we put out a side that was 8/11 of our first choice XI too. The bloke who sits behind me said: "That's it! We're going to go down again!"

Do not be that man!! Do not prematurely evaluate!

As others have said, one positive to take is that Wes seemed comfortable in the role he was called on to play. I've long said that MF is maybe the way forward for him.

Agree. Especially in such an un-predictable league as the Championship anything is possible, making snap judgements is naive. Still a very very long way to go..

I thought we looked good when playing the ball to feet, SW closed down space very well and then we seemed to play it long which will never work in this league..

Disappointing result but not seasons end, I do think we need to replace Pack in midfield and bring him on to help him develop as he will be a Champ player given time.

Early days for the new signings but lets hope we can bring in 2 or 3 quality players before the window shuts..

Were not a bad side, I was at the Brighton match last night and thought we showed a lot more in patches than either them or Forest, we will be ok.

Pretty ridiculous reactions on here. First half fairly even but we had little penetration (58% possession).

Kodjia looks a bit lost as yet, but that will come. We got overrun in the second half and Wednesday produced some good stuff, but we certainly weren't outclassed throughout. The second goal was dreadful defending when we were overcommitted, and like last season we were a bit gung-ho; it's more risky against stronger teams.

The next game could be completely different.

• Like 1

Midfield was always going to be a problem, even in some game last season, our midfield didn't dominate or control, think we need a disruptive Paul Hartley type player.

Smith did well, and Pack hit some good balls (though went 'Hollywood' too much for me), but Wednesday effectively isolated and held Freeman at arm's length for much of the game.

Needed someone who would retrieve possession from the back line AND step out with it; not much connective tissue there just now, and made us go long too many times.

Won't happen and not suggesting the exact player, but a 'Barton-type', who'd dig us out from our own half wouldn't have gone amiss there.

Simply that SL and Cotts had said as much earlier ino the day and that there was work to be done before the end of the month.

I'm still not clear what was said. Could you/somebody clarify please? Adam saying there is work to be done is stating the bleeding obvious. Did anybody actually say 2 or 3 signings are on the way or merely that we are hoping for that?

Oh come on!! Who didn't know this was coming, we signed hardly anyone this summer and go into the first game away with a very depleted squad. Let's just hope that we make some decent signings soon and quickly as this can be a punishing league if you don't get off to the best start. Just enjoy the day, ashes (tick), sun (tick), football back (tick)!!

Might be a blessing in disguise losing today. Put to bed any of that 'we'll continue where we let off' rubbish. It's not going to be that easy and this will have been a big wake up call as to how we need to adapt to suit.

Quite. We have a bottom 6 budget. Doesn't mean that is where we will finish but it's a reasonable guide to what our expectations should be, including getting used to losing a lot more.

Edited by chinapig

Felt we were the better side? What?

Bcfctweets says this comment from him

@bcfctweets: SC: "We didn't have enough thrust in our game in the final third. We've got lessons to learn."

And a strange one

@bcfctweets: SC: "We need to get Mark Little back fit and Kieran Agard back fully fit. Then at least we'd have our League 1 team of last year available."

Pack imho was the weak link last season and he's had a stinker today. Its early days yet and he did finish the season on a high, improving greatly, I'm not fighting him off yet bit on todays performance he looked way out of his depth, the squad looked a little thin and the biggest worry which I highlighted at the start of pre season was our distinct lack of plan b.

Onwards and upwards, early days yet!

FFS QPR for all of their signings got dicked 2-0 as well, big deal and JET back at home on the bench.

On the bright side John Joe O'Toole scored the winner for Northampton against the gas.

Yep and Sheffield Utd lost 4-0 in division 3!

No team wins every game, we need to lighten up and have fun!

Pompey are in division 4 but 17,000 of them turned out today!

There's some seriously horrible things happening in the world, and a 2-0 defeat ain't one of them.

Let's get behind our boys and have fun!

Pack imho was the weak link last season and he's had a stinker today. Its early days yet and he did finish the season on a high, improving greatly, I'm not fighting him off yet bit on todays performance he looked way out of his depth, the squad looked a little thin and the biggest worry which I highlighted at the start of pre season was our distinct lack of plan b.

He did his job and was one of our best players

I like Pack but he does make a lot of bad choices in dangerous areas, his radar was a bit off today and gave it away too much.