IGNORED

The Official Sheffield Wednesday V Champions Match Day Thread

Harry didn't want to quote you're whole post but I think you backed up your argument well. Don't know whether players read this but Fontaine's confidence plummeted and attitudes from fans surely played a part. Hope the same doesn't happen to Pack.

Was about to post similar; the collection of comments did support the suggestion he's perhaps being somewhat singled out.

Doesn't mean I didn't think he played a role in what was a poor showing, particularly from our engine room in midfield yesterday, but I certainly not write off his season on that from this game alone.

Like with others in the side, think they'll grow into the season.

Having just seen the highlights package I have a few thoughts:

Regarding the goals I feel fielding could've done better on both. The first isn't that far away from him, I'd attribute it to a lack of match sharpness. The FF from last season also wouldn't be diving for that, quick feet across and he makes the save. Perhaps he's still lagging a big from injury?

The second goal is exactly the kind of insane head rush he had when he first joined us, the ball was always going to swing away from him, why attempt to challenge it? Lunacy.

Sheffield Wednesday had good chances and I was particularly disappointed to see Ayling losing the flight of the ball in the air - something that is a fundamental skill for any central defender. Equally Flint gave their forward the ball on a plate in the chance which was blazed over the bar. This was exactly the kind of act without thinking action Flint used to do under SOD - again I'm going to say for both of these players they look like they are lacking match sharpness.

Burns should've had a penalty - impressed by the strength he showed to hold off two players surging forwards, I like that very much. And he was clearly elbowed in the back. Sadly the referee would have to be in exactly the right position to see it so I can see why he didn't give it even if I don't believe the correct decision was made.

Little else of note in a 3 minute video summary.

Was about to post similar; the collection of comments did support the suggestion he's perhaps being somewhat singled out.

Doesn't mean I didn't think he played a role in what was a poor showing, particularly from our engine room in midfield yesterday, but I certainly not write off his season on that from this game alone.

Like with others in the side, think they'll grow into the season.

Thanks citywest.

Samo, as said mate, I couldn't quite believe how many poor comments there were. In fact, I tried to 'multi-quote' them but it exceeded the allowable limit, hence I had to copy/paste them instead!!

As I think we all agree, it was a poor showing from pretty much the whole team aside from Flint & Burns. No one should be singled out from it.

• Like 1

Difference between those two players is that Pack has a colossal ego.

Ha ha. Having read your match summary comments, I thought you wrote well, but then you say something like this.

Pack has an ego? And a colossal one at that?? Really???? I'd beg to differ.

My view on the day.

Stadium still has an awe about it.

You can only imagine what it must be like full, amazing. Its old, the toilets dreadful but have to say the fans were friendly enough in a couple of pubs before the game.

Fair play to the City fans, noisy enough but give credit where its due, when Wednesday scored the noise from three sides was good.

The game itself? Well our new striker needs to learn a lot about English foootball. Didnt work hard at all, seemed lazy and only a shot on goal. That will come hopefully.

Fredricks will come good for sure but his first game and didn't motor up the wings like we were hoping, tracked back a lot.

Ayling was our best player as was Bryan till he got whacked and went off.

We really need to look at getting another keeper in. I'm not knocking Fielding he just don't seem big enough and flapped around when SW got their second,

He just isn't tall enough for me!!!

We didn't look in any trouble at all until they scored, after that there was only one winner.

Git of a journey home mind.

Fingers crossed we can come away with a few points against Brentford and Leeds+

• Like 1

Thanks citywest.

Samo, as said mate, I couldn't quite believe how many poor comments there were. In fact, I tried to 'multi-quote' them but it exceeded the allowable limit, hence I had to copy/paste them instead!!

As I think we all agree, it was a poor showing from pretty much the whole team aside from Flint & Burns. No one should be singled out from it.

I'd agree; as I've said before, I think Pack is being asked to play a role that needs someone alongside him who's singular focus is to break up opposition play, freeing him up to link with Freeman, and yesterday I felt Smith went past him and didn't stick to this task enough.

Across the first ten games or so we'll get a better idea of how and who in the team will make the grade; one game is of course too few.

If you cut out the long balls, which were food and drink for our defence and try and play the passing game you have you'll do ok, not sure Kodjia is the answer, he looked a little lost tbh get another striker in and Agard fit.

All the best.

I think you've nailed it with the long balls, I still don't understand why we kept playing them, it really was infuriating as it just gave you more and more chances to attack with patient build up from the back.

With regards to Kodjia, I think he'll come good if we play to his strengths, the problem is he plays better with the ball being played to hit feet in the final third and that only happened on one occasion and when it did he ran through two of your players and had a long range shot that was about a foot over. I just think we played him out of that match by giving you back the ball so frequently and expecting Kodjia and Wilbraham to work miracles with scraps!

I would just like to add that Sheffield is, on the whole, a pretty decent city. Certainly a lot more interesting a place than Leeds imo. And even if it wasn't not really any need for a poster to run it down. Bristol has its fair share of less than salubrious parts.

Well having spent a decent time in both your are completely wrong IMHO.

Leeds is a fantastic city, beautiful architecture attractive parks, burgeoning arts and creative scene, established media centre and fantastic retail projects, the only city after Bristol that I'd even contemplate living in.

A confidence boosting win against Luton and this match can be submitted to the trash can of history.

We'll lose to Luton, as let's face it we always do in the League Cup, and this forum will go into complete meltdown. In all honesty I don't think losing that game would be the worst outcome, could do without the extra games at the moment with the thin state of the squad.

We'll lose to Luton, as let's face it we always do in the League Cup, and this forum will go into complete meltdown. In all honesty I don't think losing that game would be the worst outcome, could do without the extra games at the moment with the thin state of the squad.

It's never good to lose, winning breeds winners, losing breeds losers.

It's a great time to try and restore confidence and rebuild some momentum, we should be able to beat lower league opposition with the likes of Reid and Burns on the field. I'd put Robinson into Fremans position, start Reid for Pack and get Wes upfront with Kodjia who needs as much experience as possible.

That's a hell of a lot of pace and I think Wes' confidence will be sky high, Bobby has had a good pre season and deserves a game, Robinson has one of the quickest footballing brains I've seen at his age, his incisive passing may give Kodjia ammunition to kick off his English goal scoring account.

I'd also love to see a BIG keeper signed ASAP, not knocking Frankie but yesterday wasn't the first time his lack of height has been exposed.

Hope SC doesn't do what the last SC did, if that situation occurs.

It's never good to lose, winning breeds winners, losing breeds losers.

It's a great time to try and restore confidence and rebuild some momentum, we should be able to beat lower league opposition with the likes of Reid and Burns on the field. I'd put Robinson into Fremans position, start Reid for Pack and get Wes upfront with Kodjia who needs as much experience as possible.

That's a hell of a lot of pace and I think Wes' confidence will be sky high, Bobby has had a good pre season and deserves a game, Robinson has one of the quickest footballing brains I've seen at his age, his incisive passing may give Kodjia ammunition to kick off his English goal scoring account.

I'd also love to see a BIG keeper signed ASAP, not knocking Frankie but yesterday wasn't the first time his lack of height has been exposed.

Would normally agree, but look at the last time we had any kind of success in the League Cup. It was under Sean O'Driscoll and despite comfortably beating Gills and a decent Palace side, it certainly didn't inspire any confidence in the league as we didn't win for the first 13.

Leeds is a fantastic city, beautiful architecture attractive parks, burgeoning arts and creative scene, established media centre and fantastic retail projects, the only city after Bristol that I'd even contemplate living in.

Leeds Town Hall is in my top five favourite English buildings.  Along with Clevedon Pier.

All the same, I'd pick Sheffield as the place to live over Leeds, unless I was going for a city centre apartment.   Arts scene as strong as Leeds, equally as green, retail is why God gave us the internet, and some hugely western suburbs of big Victorian houses leading into the Peak District.  Admittedly I choose to live in one of the Derbyshire villages, just outside the city boundary, but you get the point.

Anyway, enough.  I am sure City will be ok.  As to Wednesday: five home wins last season; first goal in open play at home was scored on 29 Nov.  Eyebleedingly dreadful.  More than anyone else in the division, we are a completely different team.  A better team.  In a few weeks time we'll get a sense of how much better.

Until April. x

• Like 2

I've lived in both Leeds and Sheffield. I love Leeds to bits- I had some great times there, I met my wife there and some of my best friends in the world live there. When I was in my 20s I loved in. Now I'm in my 30s, I much prefer Sheffield. Greener, more laid back, fantastic pubs, on the edge of the Peak District. It's a great city. Don't get me wrong, Leeds is great. But Sheff is better

Having seen him numerous times out in Bristol, I can only disagree with you Harry.

Fair do's Jim. Intrigued now to know more detail on your experiences. From what I understood he was a very down to earth bloke (this from many I know at Cheltenham). Be interesting to hear your side of the story and what you've witnessed.

Fair do's Jim. Intrigued now to know more detail on your experiences. From what I understood he was a very down to earth bloke (this from many I know at Cheltenham). Be interesting to hear your side of the story and what you've witnessed.

What I'll say is, he's never acted directly towards me in a negative fashion. So don't think that this is a personal dig at the chap.

But when I have seen him out in Bristol at a shop/club/ venue the phrase "big man on campus" is immediately obvious. Or should that be "big time Charlie"?

Now, some will be saying if this was after our promotion then so be it, he has the right to demand the adulation of the common folk around him. But this stretches back to his first season with us sadly.

Edited by OddBallJim

What I'll say is, he's never acted directly towards me in a negative fashion. So don't think that this is a personal dig at the chap.

But when I have seen him out in Bristol at a shop/club/ venue the phrase "big man on campus" is immediately obvious. Or should that be "big time Charlie"?

Now, some will be saying if this was after our promotion then so be it, he has the right to demand the adulation of the common folk around him. But this stretches back to his first season with us sadly.

So what exactly was he doing or saying?

Surely you have to take into account how people can take on roles in groups. When I'm with my friends I'm full of confidence and could well look like an annoying cocky idiot to outsiders but I wouldn't say that's the normal impression I give to people. Edited by citywest30

I've lived in both Leeds and Sheffield. I love Leeds to bits- I had some great times there, I met my wife there and some of my best friends in the world live there. When I was in my 20s I loved in. Now I'm in my 30s, I much prefer Sheffield. Greener, more laid back, fantastic pubs, on the edge of the Peak District. It's a great city. Don't get me wrong, Leeds is great. But Sheff is better

This is how I feel, but with Sheffield not Leeds.

3-1 to us then Yorkshire Section. ;) Take it on the chin now.. thats a good chap!! 

Seriously though.. of course all about opinions. We all respect those. I am intrigued by your views nonetheless and will have to seek it out in the future for an updated visit; sounds like it has changed.

Once the Elland Road match is done we can do a pole.. it will be far from scientific of course.. people will be thinking about the fans, the pies, the pints, maybe the totty, the result and the weather.