IGNORED

How Could Our Ownership Be Better?

Tinmans Love Child

Putting my head above the parapet here, because we are indeed extremely lucky to have Steve Lansdown...

... but "supported the club his whole life"??!!

... didn't he want to buy Rovers before us??.....

Whilst it's fair to say he wasn't exactly born on the Open End, I don't think it's right that he wanted to buy Rovers first. The story goes that his son John went to Ashton Gate with friends, caught the bug, then dragged his dad along. Eventually dad bought the place! 

Whilst it's fair to say he wasn't exactly born on the Open End, I don't think it's right that he wanted to buy Rovers first. The story goes that his son John went to Ashton Gate with friends, caught the bug, then dragged his dad along. Eventually dad bought the place!

Correct and just wait until his boy takes over the reigns. He is even more passionate about the club. Then you'll see money chucked at the club. Hopefully happy times ahead.

we have a local self made billionaire owner who has supported the club his whole life and wants to pump his cash into the club improving the ground, academy and players. How is that not the ideal ownership for the club??

Bit deep but the ideal ownership of the club would by its hoi polloi. Lots of the sketch can be better. Fans, the us, we, club in other Countries have a say.

One of thy facts there is fakkked. Bright ones will spot it.

Bournemouth hardly penny pinched.

Gosling, Kenwyne Jones and Boruc would of all been some of the top paid players in the Championship.

Look at the teams that got promoted last season, all had top goalscorers. This is one part we are lacking. The only player we have who could bang them in for fun is Kodjia but he will need time to settle.

None of those cost huge fees, and whilst they had a top goalscorer, they had solidity right through the team and good options on the bench. Two key players, Callum Wilson and Matt Ritchie hardly cost a lot. In truth, there is no right or wrong way, and with a few other good signings, including a couple of experienced players, the team could finally take shape, with depth and options. What has disappointed me this summer is that we seem to have chased the high profile signings, but neglected the bargains, the useful freebie, or promising lower division player. Except Ives, of course.

Onwards and whatever!

None of those cost huge fees, and whilst they had a top goalscorer, they had solidity right through the team and good options on the bench. Two key players, Callum Wilson and Matt Ritchie hardly cost a lot. In truth, there is no right or wrong way, and with a few other good signings, including a couple of experienced players, the team could finally take shape, with depth and options. What has disappointed me this summer is that we seem to have chased the high profile signings, but neglected the bargains, the useful freebie, or promising lower division player. Except Ives, of course.

Onwards and whatever!

What strikers could we of gone for that's a bargain? Callum Wilson if he joined us for the same fee as he joined Bournemouth would still be our record signing. If you look in league one at who done well last season you'll think Bradshaw, but can he step up, Grigg, why did only Wigan want him, and Afobe, who went to wolves although we were interested.

I think Cotts tactic of only signing better than what you have is a good one. However this wasn't used in the cases of Robinson and Fredericks (who you can consider a bargain though).

If we end up having Williams, Pack and Wilbs on our bench then I'll be more than happy that we have great depth.

To answer the original post - I don't believe we could have a better owner.

SL is the 1054th richest man in the world according to  the Forbes Billionaire Rich List.(think about that for a moment )

http://www.forbes.com/billionaires/list/24/#version:static

I had a word with him on Saturday whilst he was showing the great and the good around the new stand around 1.30pm; he seemed  pleased and excited  and was like a kid at Christmas.(about the stadium not talking to me)

He seems a genuinely decent bloke, approachable,  basically a city fan who has the wealth of Croesus

Oh I'd rather have that bloke who owns Hull City - throwing his toys out of his pram because he is not allowed to change the name of the club and refusing to go to matches. What a twonk.

I'm fed up of analysing every move SL makes. It is a constantly changing and reactive business with too many variables that can't be quantified. How can one follow a specified path without reacting to external factors? I think SL is doing his best and genuinely has the interests of BCFC at heart.

To answer the original post - I don't believe we could have a better owner.

I had a word with him on Saturday whilst he was showing the great and the good around the new stand around 1.30pm; he seemed  pleased and excited  and was like a kid at Christmas.(about the stadium not talking to me)

Nice to hear / see - I did say after the last day of season celebrations and the Lloyds Amphitheatre I'd never seen SL so animated with the widest grin ever - he loved every moment and I said that I could see him unleashing he purse strings this season

There s little point in him having a wealth of 1.2billion if he can't / doesn't enjoy that wealth

He appears to be a quiet grounded guy who doesn't appear to go in for flash status purchases in terms of yachts planes and automobiles

He has a lovely house in Guernsey but certainly nothing pretentious or flash

He clearly got a massive buzz from winning the trophies last year and the reaction from supporters and I believe that upped his Bristol City Mojo more than any moment he's been involved at the club

I think we are seeing the result of that feeling

I think we should count ourselves very fortunate and I hope Sir Steve gets to enjoy more great moments with our Club

What strikers could we of gone for that's a bargain? Callum Wilson if he joined us for the same fee as he joined Bournemouth would still be our record signing. If you look in league one at who done well last season you'll think Bradshaw, but can he step up, Grigg, why did only Wigan want him, and Afobe, who went to wolves although we were interested.

I think Cotts tactic of only signing better than what you have is a good one. However this wasn't used in the cases of Robinson and Fredericks (who you can consider a bargain though).

If we end up having Williams, Pack and Wilbs on our bench then I'll be more than happy that we have great depth.

I think your definition of depth and mine might differ ?

It's the whole point of scouts, identifying targets from a number of sources, lower league, players out of favour etc. and this 'better than you have' is nonsense, you need a mix of youth, experience, different types of players, flair and the unspectacular, solid pros who just 'do a job'. From what I have seen so far, top priority is to tighten up in defence and midfield. We look vulnerable whenever sides attack, and if you are going to concede 2 a game, you'll need one heck of an attack to cover that. For all the big talk, first priority is avoiding relegation.

To me the story that he was vaguely interested in the blue few first just makes it even better.

"Gas, see what you could have won". Mind the gap...

You've just reminded me of that bit on Bullseye when they lost at the end and Jim Bowen said "here's what ya cudda won Son" and the dartboard spun around to reveal a speedboat or Rover Metro...

Now imagining Steve Lansdown with a briefcase of cash and Rovers fans sobbing.

Putting my head above the parapet here, because we are indeed extremely lucky to have Steve Lansdown...

... but "supported the club his whole life"??!!

... didn't he want to buy Rovers before us??.....

His first game was at the Rovers but as for wanting to buy them I'm not so sure.

Having heard his views on them I'd be very very surprised if wanting to buy them was true.

Archived