IGNORED

The Official Champions V Burnley Match Day Thread

So its Burnley then.

I do, bizarrely, for some inexplicable reason rather like the way that name rolls off the tongue; somehow I just find that word the easiest to start trying to talk with a Lancastrian accent.. just say it to yourself a few times and then add a sentence after it.. Burrrrrrnlieeeee.... its lovely is that!

'Tis a wild wind that blows
Across the East Lancs moors
Turning blues purple whilst 
Clarets glow knowingly

Dyche wrapped up all 3 points
Whilst Dijkhuizen wrapped up warm
Feels the bitter ice of defeat

On the road Burnley's house as brittle as sticks 
But at home Turf Moor a fortress

Against the ill wind of misfortune.

The Reds of Ashton await.

(Inspired by the Bard of Burnley)

Born in the early 12th century a fairly modern settlement by the standards of these isles, a wee whipper snapper. On the confluence of the Brun and the Calder whence the name is derived..Brun Lea or meadow by the river. I bet it was an idyllic spot back then. Half way between Manchester and Preston. Built on wool and then cotton which actually remains to this day on the banks of the Brun and the Calder. Burnley is actually a net exporter of fine cloth for the contract industry. I always like to see a manufacturing sector coming back from the relative dead and thrive with hundreds of skilled employees. Its a warm glowing feeling.

But enough today about history. Burnley may not be the most architecturally pleasing parts of these Isles but, like many a northern town, it sits on the border lands of some of the most stunning countryside the eye can behold. Pendle Hill, Clitheroe, Ribble Valley, South Pennines, Forest of Rossendale; its a veritable feast of outdoor vistas and nature. I love it i do.

But Burnley the town, boy its hard to like.. and as JCC once wrote:-

I'll tell you now and I'll tell you firmly

I don't never want to go to Burnley

What they do there don't concern me

Why would anybody make the journey.

Well today folks we don't have to because they are coming here to gorgeous Bristol.

Dyche, Gray and Burnley faithful.. I say bring it on and bring on a nice, lovely, tasty, 3-1 victory for the west country who know how to play tidy football. And no ice cold Cornish please.

Flint, Kodjia, Reid

I know that is likely not what i predicted on Moshi's thread but hey.. poetry is blinding thy soul.

UTC

• Like 13

Havana that was beautiful. When you write the historical elements I often find it interesting but I think I could research that myself, but I thought you wrote that from the heart. To see a John Cooper Clarke reference brightens my day too.

My only fear is that you might be over doing the detail for the visiting teams, what will you have left to write when we are away?

Looking forward to this game...I like Burnley...a good honest football club.

I have absolutely no idea how this will pan out....obviously hoping for a thumping City win....especially as a good friend is a Burnley fan and his son is one of the coaching staff....so plenty of banter to be had today :-)

Cracking little read that, Hava.

Come the end of the season I want you to publish all of your match thread introductions.  I'll buy a few copies, that's for sure.

I predict a 2 - 2 draw today, with Gray scoring for the Burnley (he has to score at least once, it's virtually in the script).

Our scorers will be Wilbs and Kodjia.

COME ON YOU REDS.......

Cracking little read that, Hava.

Come the end of the season I want you to publish all of your match thread introductions.  I'll buy a few copies, that's for sure.

I predict a 2 - 2 draw today, with Gray scoring for the Burnley (he has to score at least once, it's virtually in the script).

Our scorers will be Wilbs and Kodjia.

COME ON YOU REDS.......

I want Big Tone to publish all of his, but  his will be a leaflet, not a book.

• Like 1

Looking forward to this game...I like Burnley...a good honest football club.

I have absolutely no idea how this will pan out....obviously hoping for a thumping City win....especially as a good friend is a Burnley fan and his son is one of the coaching staff....so plenty of banter to be had today :-)

Well if you read what that other Spuski fella is saying on other threads then we'll be soundly beaten by an amazing and much better club, Cotts will resign at 5p.m. , any of our players who are remotely interested in having a future in football will hand in a transfer request and Lansdown will call in the administrators.

I'm now too depressed to even bother going. 

• Like 2

Wonderfully written Havana, as always. Myself, Mrs Cider, & the little Ciders spent seven years living just outside of Burnley, in fact the littlest one was born there. And although we were glad to return home two years ago, reading that made me quite nostalgic for this perpetually cold, damp and bleak part of our great land.

I pray we win today but think we're still too gung-ho for this division and they've a strong team, so 1-1, JoKo to net his second of the season.

Wonderfully written Havana, as always. Myself, Mrs Cider, & the little Ciders spent seven years living just outside of Burnley, in fact the littlest one was born there. And although we were glad to return home two years ago, reading that made me quite nostalgic for this perpetually cold, damp and bleak part of our great land.

I pray we win today but think we're still too gung-ho for this division and they've a strong team, so 1-1, JoKo to net his second of the season.

JoKo. I like that. I'm gonna start using (and passing it off as my own creation) it if you wouldn't mind awfully?

Just like to wish the lads all the best today, for what is arguably are toughest fixture to date.Im sure Burnley will be up there with the Middlesbrough's of this world, but i firmly believe if we create the chances that we will, and take them, then there is no reason not to get 3 pts. Wish all the best to young Bobby Reid, and burns, and come on Kodjia, i don't think your million miles from scoring a few! COYR :)

TODAYS MATCH WEATHER, by Taxi for Rennie.

Well, children,  :read:

Bristol City F.C. Vs Burnley (inc. Mr G)

Venue: Ashton Gate stadium, Bristol, SW England

KO: 1500 hrs BST

Weaffer:-

Light Cloud

Temperature 20 celcius

Humidity 50%

Visibility Very good

Pressure 1019 hPa

Wind direction: SW

Wind speed: 6 mph

UV 4 (scale 1-8)

Pollution Low

Pollen Moderate

Sun Rise 0618

Sun set 2004

TFR's evening outlook:-

Many places will be dry this evening, with some clear spells developing. Thicker cloud will spread across the region over night, bringing outbreaks of rain. It WILL be mild in the east.

Iye.

2-1 to City or 2-2 draw.

TFR