IGNORED

The Official Champions V Burnley Match Day Thread

Our team may be suited to the system, but the system or the players are not good enough playing this system at this level. Defensively we are vulnerable and not organised, and when we attack we leave ourselves wide open. On the break we move the ball well but there is no final 3rd product, whether it be the ball to the strikers or the strikers attempts.

7/8 of our current team are good enough, sadly 3/4 are not and unless we are prepared to pay the wages required, this will be a long season.

Our options on the bench are also poor, as realistically none of our bench is good enough for this division. 

no argument about lack of bench options

I just think couple of quality additions needed but stick with the formation we have

players we have suit it, understand it, plus we have been well in every game this season (bar Sheff Wednesday maybe)

I reckon if we ditch the formation we are comfortable with and have no doubt trained pre season for then the wheels will come off

A plan b would be good though for sure

That's because they set up with 10 men behind the ball because we gifted them two goals from corners. You're talking nonsense to suggest the formation was at fault.

We were incredibly poor defending two set pieces and that's what cost us.

Agard should have been on, there was no one running the channels in the second half

Gifted?

Two very good corners whipped in with pace and precision, difficult to defend against. Not saying we couldn't have done better but any chance we might recognise that goals we concede are not always entirely our own fault?

If we'd have scored those, we'd all be saying what a great corner and a great header.

Gifted?

Two very good corners whipped in with pace and precision, difficult to defend against. Not saying we couldn't have done better but any chance we might recognise that goals we concede are not always entirely our own fault?

If we'd have scored those, we'd all be saying what a great corner and a great header.

I was at the other end so didn't have the best view - my point was that to concede two goals from two consecutive corners is very poor.

Gifted?

Any pro will tell you the biggest crime in conceding goals is doing so from set pieces, unless it's an absolutely worldy

That's because they set up with 10 men behind the ball because we gifted them two goals from corners. You're talking nonsense to suggest the formation was at fault.

We were incredibly poor defending two set pieces and that's what cost us.

Agard should have been on, there was no one running the channels in the second half

Totally agree would have taken Wilbs off after 60 mins for Agard

Losing by the odd goal to Burnley does not in itself a meltdown make, or really should not. One point from three home games is not however clever, especially when we arguably at times 'battered' all the other sides.

Not really the formation issue last two games. We are sounding like one of those lower league sides, who have a good go against a higher league side, seem to be creating all the chances, then bang, they are a goal down, either through a touch of class, or an error. All the fans then go home scratching their heads - but that is kind of what makes them a higher league side! No panic, just concerned right now. Mood music at the club all seems off key at the moment as well. Just need somebody to revive the thread from a few years back about 'we are going to hammer somebody 5-0 soon'.

Worried.

Ps: somebody on post on corners?

Edited by cityexile

Horace still curled up in a ball - wouldn't even come out for consolation goal so I'll comment.

Burnley put nine behind the ball first half and scored two from corners. They came out a bit in the second (God knows why) and we had a few chances.

ONLY plus is that the Codger scored, which will be good for his confidence.

Losing by the odd goal to Burnley does not in itself a meltdown make, or really should not. One point from three home games is not however clever, especially when we arguably at times 'battered' all the other sides.

Not really the formation issue last two games. We are sounding like one of those lower league sides, who have a good go against a higher league side, seem to be creating all the chances, then bang, they are a goal down, either through a touch of class, or an error. All the fans then go home scratching their heads - but that is kind of what makes them a higher league side! No panic, just concerned right now. Mood music at the club all seems off key at the moment as well. Just need somebody to revive the thread from a few years back about 'we are going to hammer somebody 5-0 soon'.

Worried.

Ps: somebody on post on corners?

Yep, every team I ever played for - from school to good levels of local football - we always had a player on each post at corners. It's a very simple defensive discipline and it amazes me how many pro teams concede goals from corners and free kicks that simply wouldn't have gone in if they defended their posts.

Oh well, I'll leave it to the professional managers, they obviously know better....

Lets be honest we are a newly promoted side playing against a former Prem team lets not beat ourselves up about it, they will be up there come May I'm sure.

Not beatingthe likes of Huddersfield, Bolton, Rotherham, Preston and MK Dons would be a real worry.

Looking at the table at the moment, could add Brentford to that list...

Has the world ended yet?

According to OTIB not far off.

Seriously though; 5 games in and its very early doors. We are finding our feet and had a difficult recruitment drive. I am sure we will get the players in and have 2 weeks to do so before Brum. Not worried in the slightest playing the way we are. This league is already showing how tight it will be.

Thanks for all the compliments today btw for my opening post.

Positives from today were Kodjia, Reid and Pack's performances.

Kodjia was a real handful and was at the heart of everything we did well in the first half, Reid showed he's come a long way in a couple of years and made some intelligent passes and Pack did pretty much everything well.

I'm taking a lot more positive than negative out of today. Still think we needed to change things earlier though, Agard should have been on with 30 mins to play - they were camped behind the ball and it needed someone more mobile than Wilbs to stretch them.

Sooner or later we must surely start getting the return that our performances have deserve. Neither Leeds, Brentford or Burnley have been particularly good against us and they've taken 7 points.

• Like 1

Lets be honest we have been dealt a harsh hand in terms of an opening fixture list. We have been punished for some silly errors but today we have come up against a side who on paper should have beaten us no problem. The reality of the day was that we were the far better team, but were undone uncharacteristially by two set pieces. Burnley deserve credit for some very good last minute tackles and blocks and we all know that Heaton is going to save you a few points in a season. If we play to that standard week in week out we will be fine this season.

Positives for me were Bobby Reid and Kodjia, lively all day causing hassle, The fact that we really looked solid in open play until the game got stretched. Also was impressed with Smith as well. Negatives were Pack, Little and Williams, inconsistency seems to be their issue, and I don't think Wes Burns was too impactful off the bench either.

Chin up guys, we'll get there!