IGNORED

Nathan Baker

lenred

Hey guys, a Villa fan here. Just wanted to drop in with my thoughts on Baker as naturally I've seen a lot of him. He's an all or nothing defender, loves a tackle and getting stuck in. Lacks that bit of pace but I feel he makes up for it in his power, tackling and height. He really does put his body on the line, which is why his injury record isn't the best. The weakest part of his game is probably his distribution, in the Premier League you have to be a bit better on the ball even as a CB and I think that is where he is lacking. Sherwood sees him as a late bloomer hence why he has been sent out on loan. He does have nearly 100 Premier League games under his belt though and will do a great job for you goes I have no doubt. You're getting a top young-ish defender with loads of experience for his age and wishing him and you guys all the best for the season. :) 

Hey guys, a Villa fan here. Just wanted to drop in with my thoughts on Baker as naturally I've seen a lot of him. He's an all or nothing defender, loves a tackle and getting stuck in. Lacks that bit of pace but I feel he makes up for it in his power, tackling and height. He really does put his body on the line, which is why his injury record isn't the best. The weakest part of his game is probably his distribution, in the Premier League you have to be a bit better on the ball even as a CB and I think that is where he is lacking. Sherwood sees him as a late bloomer hence why he has been sent out on loan. He does have nearly 100 Premier League games under his belt though and will do a great job for you goes I have no doubt. You're getting a top young-ish defender with loads of experience for his age and wishing him and you guys all the best for the season. :) 

Thanks Jono.

we seem to have been beaten in the air in our own box this season which simply didn't happen much last.

Liam Moore is going to help solidify that too....Got any strikers we can borrow when the window for loans opens?

Cheers Jonoridge, exactly how a Villa ST holder in here described him.

Apologies if this has been mentioned elsewhere (system too slow for me to search through) but does anyone think that the signing of two defenders suggest Cotterill is planning to go four at the back?  Possibly 4-5-1?

Personally, I don't - think they are just required competition for the three in the shirts, and possibly Little out at right wing back too (thinking of Moore's having played there before).

Outside of Ayling, Flint and Williams we've lacked any real cover at centre back, so this places a bit of pressure on the guys in the shirts, which is something we certainly needed.

Apologies if this has been mentioned elsewhere (system too slow for me to search through) but does anyone think that the signing of two defenders suggest Cotterill is planning to go four at the back?  Possibly 4-5-1?

Baker has already talked about how he's comfortable in a back 3, and given that Moore is right footed and Baker left footed, I imagine they'll slot in either side of Flint. Ayling will move to RWB or into midfield and Williams to the bench. To be fair, both Moore and Baker are good in the air and if you look back at a number of the goals conceded so far, Ayling or Williams getting beaten in the air or by movement at a set piece is a fairly regular occurrence 

Many of my Villa mates saying that he's a cracking signing for us. I imagine the threat from corners with Baker & Flint will be tremendous. 

Fordy, I gather from what Tetbury and Woodsy have mentioned on here, that you're based in Dursley or Cam so just on the outskirts of Birmingham thus I guess you'll have lots of Villa supporting mates and a useful insight.:whistle:

Archived