IGNORED

The Official Birmingham City v Champions Match Day Thread

Hey guys Brum fan here

Came across the site saw a few posts and thought I would put the opposition view over. The game went pretty much how we thought it would with you having plenty of the ball and us sitting deep playing on the counter. It's how we play under Rowett and has been successful last season and so far this. Quite a lot of teams usually have the thought we are poor as they have all of the possession and dominate the game but it's our game plan 99% of the time. In the build up to the game there were quite a few previews saying you guys were weak on the counter and have been undone this way a few times this season which made good reading for us as that suits us to a tea as they say. The game itself was a good one to watch though at times it became a dog fight in the middle of the park. I think the surprising thing we noticed from our side was the space that you gave Gray and Cotterill in the first half especially, as they got at and behind your back 3 at ease. Also I didn't understand playing Moore against Gray to a degree as in the pre-season against Leicester Gray tore Moore a new one and we noticed within the first few attacks he couldn't deal with him running at him, but where your "wing back" was I have no idea. I was impressed by a few of your players most of us sitting round me were really impressed by Freeman he was quality all game and didn't deserve to be on the losing side and also Ayling impressed me going forward (though wasn't great tracking back). I was very surprised how you guys played 2nd half as in the first you hit a few direct balls to Kodjia who caused lots of problems and the 2nd half you didn't do that at all. It was almost your manager had told the back 3 at half time not to hit long balls to him and keep possession which played right into our hands. I also agree it was a very soft pen and have seen a few say it could have easily been 2-2 at that point (which it could) but also Torel for us missed pretty much a 2 yard header to an open net which would have made it 3-0 not long after we had scored the 2nd. Donaldson did cause problems all day for you guys and I have seen many on here give your defenders stick for it but I wouldn't be too hard he does give every defence problems at this level and managed to score 15 league goals last season so at this level is very good. Overall was a enjoyable day for us of course, from my POV I can't see you guys going down but I would echo some saying you need to tighten up at the back and I do see the point some are making with this 3 at the back. It's great when you have the ball attacking but your wing backs have to give more protection to the back 3 otherwise you will need to score 2 most weeks to get a result. Also to clear up the whole "celebration" of our 4th goal where Grounds came and celebrated infront of our away following it was because Kodjia had done the same in front of us lot which Grounds didn't take to well (I think he was at fault for allowing the ball to come in).

Anyway good luck for the rest of the season and as I said as long as you guys tighten up at the back I think both sides could easily be in that 10th-15th part of the table come end of season

• Like 2

Hey guys Brum fan here

Came across the site saw a few posts and thought I would put the opposition view over. The game went pretty much how we thought it would with you having plenty of the ball and us sitting deep playing on the counter. It's how we play under Rowett and has been successful last season and so far this. Quite a lot of teams usually have the thought we are poor as they have all of the possession and dominate the game but it's our game plan 99% of the time. In the build up to the game there were quite a few previews saying you guys were weak on the counter and have been undone this way a few times this season which made good reading for us as that suits us to a tea as they say. The game itself was a good one to watch though at times it became a dog fight in the middle of the park. I think the surprising thing we noticed from our side was the space that you gave Gray and Cotterill in the first half especially, as they got at and behind your back 3 at ease. Also I didn't understand playing Moore against Gray to a degree as in the pre-season against Leicester Gray tore Moore a new one and we noticed within the first few attacks he couldn't deal with him running at him, but where your "wing back" was I have no idea. I was impressed by a few of your players most of us sitting round me were really impressed by Freeman he was quality all game and didn't deserve to be on the losing side and also Ayling impressed me going forward (though wasn't great tracking back). I was very surprised how you guys played 2nd half as in the first you hit a few direct balls to Kodjia who caused lots of problems and the 2nd half you didn't do that at all. It was almost your manager had told the back 3 at half time not to hit long balls to him and keep possession which played right into our hands. I also agree it was a very soft pen and have seen a few say it could have easily been 2-2 at that point (which it could) but also Torel for us missed pretty much a 2 yard header to an open net which would have made it 3-0 not long after we had scored the 2nd. Donaldson did cause problems all day for you guys and I have seen many on here give your defenders stick for it but I wouldn't be too hard he does give every defence problems at this level and managed to score 15 league goals last season so at this level is very good. Overall was a enjoyable day for us of course, from my POV I can't see you guys going down but I would echo some saying you need to tighten up at the back and I do see the point some are making with this 3 at the back. It's great when you have the ball attacking but your wing backs have to give more protection to the back 3 otherwise you will need to score 2 most weeks to get a result. Also to clear up the whole "celebration" of our 4th goal where Grounds came and celebrated infront of our away following it was because Kodjia had done the same in front of us lot which Grounds didn't take to well (I think he was at fault for allowing the ball to come in).

Anyway good luck for the rest of the season and as I said as long as you guys tighten up at the back I think both sides could easily be in that 10th-15th part of the table come end of season

Condensed Version:

They won