IGNORED

The Boxing Thread

joe jordans teeth

43 minutes ago, daored said:

Whyte v Parker due to be announced later today 

That's a turnaround, Parker was meant to be fighting Jennings. Whyte must not fancy that trip to Bulgaria v Pulev or fighting Ortiz.

Could be a boxing clinic from Parker imo, he may make Dillian look very rudimentary.

46 minutes ago, daored said:

Whyte v Parker due to be announced later today 

That's a good fight. Quite liked the idea of Whyte vs Ortiz too which was being talked about yesterday.

I like Whyte because he just wants to fight, doesn't really care about the politics. 

Both Parker and Ortiz are risky fights for him.

Joe Joyce is another one who just wants fights, sadly he doesn't have much leverage to get them. He's a relative unknown so the bigger names like Miller don't really see the benefit of fighting him. Needs to move quickly as he's already 32 but fighting this month again.

• Like 1

Yeah I never used to like Whyte but he’s really grown on me because he’s willing to fight anyone, his boxing skills seem to be improving all the time too.

I was hoping that he’d fight Ortiz but I’m happy with the Parker fight that’ll be a good scrap.

5 hours ago, Carey 6 said:

huge fight for Whyte that.

Beat Parker and he’s knocking on Fury/Aj/Wilders doors for his next.

Can’t believe it’s PPV though. 

If he wanted a more direct path to AJ or Wilder, he could have fought Pulev to become the IBF mandatory or Ortiz to become Wilder's WBC mandatory. Hearn must have something up his sleeve politically with this fight or it doesn't make much sense in that context.

I can't say I've been impressed by Parker in his last few fights tbh, I don't think he did anything v AJ to justify being on box office again. He has a decent skill set but doesn't hit hard enough at elite level. Whyte is improving technically but still telegraphs most of his power shots and is much slower than Parker in most aspects.

I am in the minority it seems but this fight doesn't really excite me much. I think their styles may well clash and produce a bit of a messy, boring fight. I would much rather have seen Whyte v Ortiz, Pulev or even Breazeale if the Alabama windmill decides the latter is too scary for him.

I can only echo what others have said too, there must be an immense undercard incoming or this is Matchroom's worst PPV since Cleverly Bellew 2 imo.

• Like 2

7 minutes ago, Stortz said:

If he wanted a more direct path to AJ or Wilder, he could have fought Pulev to become the IBF mandatory or Ortiz to become Wilder's WBC mandatory. Hearn must have something up his sleeve politically with this fight or it doesn't make much sense in that context.

I can't say I've been impressed by Parker in his last few fights tbh, I don't think he did anything v AJ to justify being on box office again. He has a decent skill set but doesn't hit hard enough at elite level. Whyte is improving technically but still telegraphs most of his power shots and is much slower than Parker in most aspects.

I am in the minority it seems but this fight doesn't really excite me much. I think their styles may well clash and produce a bit of a messy, boring fight. I would much rather have seen Whyte v Ortiz, Pulev or even Breazeale if the Alabama windmill decides the latter is too scary for him.

I can only echo what others have said too, there must be an immense undercard incoming or this is Matchroom's worst PPV since Cleverly Bellew 2 imo.

I can't really see what he can do to make it a worthy PPV... I guess he'll get Okolie on there again, that Ukrainian chap he's signed, a couple more NXTGEN guys like Cheeseman? Can't really think of any others unless he pulls some bigger names from the US as part of that big money deal he's done.

35 minutes ago, Stortz said:

Have to agree on Parker, he was poor against Fury and AJ. Overrated IMO.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Phileas Fogg said:

I can't really see what he can do to make it a worthy PPV... I guess he'll get Okolie on there again, that Ukrainian chap he's signed, a couple more NXTGEN guys like Cheeseman? Can't really think of any others unless he pulls some bigger names from the US as part of that big money deal he's done.

I'm going to guess one or both of Brook and/ or Khan. Crolla perhaps? Ricky Burns and Luke Campbell haven't been out for a little while. It's probably too soon for Quigg after the panelling he got from Valdez haha.

Callum Johnson is possibly fighting Beterbiev, maybe Hearn will stick that on there too, if Artur will come over for it? Seems a bit soon for that though tbh.

Eddie's going to have to do something spectacular to justify the PPV, because the reaction today has been outright outrage by and large. Had to laugh at him claiming Whyte Parker is the biggest fight to be made in the division other than AJ Wilder. Yeah, righto Edward.

2 hours ago, Stortz said:

I'm going to guess one or both of Brook and/ or Khan. Crolla perhaps? Ricky Burn and Luke Campbell haven't been out for a little while. It's probably too soon for Quigg after the panelling he got from Valdez haha.

Callum Johnson is possibly fighting Beterbiev, maybe Hearn will stick that on there too, if Artur will come over for it? Seems a bit soon for that though tbh.

Eddie's going to have to do something spectacular to justify the PPV, because the reaction today has been outright outrage by and large. Had to laugh at him claiming Whyte Parker is the biggest fight to be made in the division other than AJ Wilder. Yeah, righto Edward.

He’ll need to pull out all the stops on the undercard to make it a worthwhile ppv. I heard a while back that Brook would be fighting at the o2 on this date so presume he’ll be on the undercard if he can get a title fight with someone like Hurd that’ll be decent. khan being on would be good too. The Johnson v Beterbiev fight would be great but I think he wants it in Canada.

54 minutes ago, Ohbasso said:

He’ll need to pull out all the stops on the undercard to make it a worthwhile ppv. I heard a while back that Brook would be fighting at the o2 on this date so presume he’ll be on the undercard if he can get a title fight with someone like Hurd that’ll be decent. khan being on would be good too. The Johnson v Beterbiev fight would be great but I think he wants it in Canada.

Absolutely mate, it was more of a random speculation about how they might build the bill rather than any informed shouts. 7 weeks notice isn't enough to get many serious fights over the line, unless there has been a major amount of behind the scenes work going on.

I wouldn't mind betting that Bellotti v Doyle 2 and the Cheese himself will be on the bill!

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, Northern Red said:

Bet they'd still have stuck Whyte v Ortiz on PPV if it had gone ahead.

Of course, but that would at least have the legitimacy of being a final eliminator for a mandatory challenger for Wilder's belt (bizarre as that patently is).

Mind you, Bellew is at number 5 in the WBC HW rankings hahaha