IGNORED

The Boxing Thread

joe jordans teeth

A glorified sparring session but in fairness what we're we expecting? Fury needed the rounds. I thought he looked sharp enough and stamina seemed fine (OK against an opponent not doing very much).

I don't think Haye's theory that maybe Fury was holding back a bit was as crackpot as it first sounded. With Wilder just a few yards away he might have been in his interest to do certain things /not do others. Definitely think he wanted the 10 rounds over the knock out as well.

• Like 1

21 minutes ago, Kid in the Riot said:

A glorified sparring session but in fairness what we're we expecting? Fury needed the rounds. I thought he looked sharp enough and stamina seemed fine (OK against an opponent not doing very much).

I don't think Haye's theory that maybe Fury was holding back a bit was as crackpot as it first sounded. With Wilder just a few yards away he might have been in his interest to do certain things /not do others. Definitely think he wanted the 10 rounds over the knock out as well.

Anything that comes out of Haye’s mouth isn’t worth listening to tbh 

1 minute ago, Owl Visiting said:

I wonder who Eddie wants to win in Fury and Wilder? Fury is a bigger fight over here for AJ, but the American audience for a Wilder fight means bigger money right? 

Also, do you reckon there'll be a rematch clause if Fury was to beat Wilder?, if so you'd think it'd be another year before Fury and AJ could meet. 

Wouldn’t of thought there would be a rematch clause because either fury wins by points and bores everyone to death or wilder wipes him out,not much money in either for a rematch,when it comes to AJ just give the winner 50/50 and get on with it

7 minutes ago, Northern Red said:

Did you know that Haye watched Frampton sparring? He didn't really mention it much...

Fury needs at least another fight, probably 2. And they need to be 12 round jobs against live opponents. 

Never heard him mention it once,we all know fury can’t lose when it comes to the wilder fight,he gets a pay day and if he loses it’s because he wasn’t ready and he wins then he can still claim to be the best 

1 hour ago, Northern Red said:

Very tough one to call. Frampton looked as good as he's been for some time last night, however I reckon Warrington surprised a lot of people with his display against Selby (me included).

Agree with all of that. I never thought Warrington had that performance in him tbh.

I'm just favouring Frampton- he looks like he's loving his boxing again under Jamie Moore after stagnating at Cyclone- but it's going to be close.

• Like 1

Going to go against the grain here and say I thought Fury actually looked alright. For all of his troubles outside the ring, he looked okay and demonstrated a good variety of shots, movement akin to his prior 'glory days' and looked rather spritely on his feet.

The opponent was a glorified punching bag, there to give Fury the exercise and rounds he needed. What people were expecting other than this I don't know. At least it was more competitive than the Seferi fight.

As for Wilder v Fury, think it's come far too soon in Fury's 'comeback' personally, but never write the man off, he's surprised us many times over and his movement is still excellent.

19 minutes ago, Undy English said:

Going to go against the grain here and say I thought Fury actually looked alright. For all of his troubles outside the ring, he looked okay and demonstrated a good variety of shots, movement akin to his prior 'glory days' and looked rather spritely on his feet.

The opponent was a glorified punching bag, there to give Fury the exercise and rounds he needed. What people were expecting other than this I don't know. At least it was more competitive than the Seferi fight.

As for Wilder v Fury, think it's come far too soon in Fury's 'comeback' personally, but never write the man off, he's surprised us many times over and his movement is still excellent.

I don't think anyone on here was really criticising Fury's general performance per se given the circumstances, it just seems ludicrous to propose that he can go from that level to beating Wilder in Vegas in a few months.

What concerned me most about it was that Tyson seems to have lost any power he once had (and there was never an abundance!) along with the 10 stone. The timing is coming back, and his movement was always great, but there was no pop whatsoever in his punches. All the traditional bullshit about knocking Wilder out post fight, but if a slow motion Italian cab driver can take his best shots flush without blinking, how on earth does he keep Deontay off of him for 12 rounds?

It's just like Khan v Canelo; If there's nothing coming back at Wilder to make him think, Fury has only got to get it wrong for 1 second out of 2,160 and he's toast.

36 minutes ago, Stortz said:

I don't think anyone on here was really criticising Fury's general performance per se given the circumstances, it just seems ludicrous to propose that he can go from that level to beating Wilder in Vegas in a few months.

What concerned me most about it was that Tyson seems to have lost any power he once had (and there was never an abundance!) along with the 10 stone. The timing is coming back, and his movement was always great, but there was no pop whatsoever in his punches. All the traditional bullshit about knocking Wilder out post fight, but if a slow motion Italian cab driver can take his best shots flush without blinking, how on earth does he keep Deontay off of him for 12 rounds?

It's just like Khan v Canelo; If there's nothing coming back at Wilder to make him think, Fury has only got to get it wrong for 1 second out of 2,160 and he's toast.

Spot on about the lack of power. For bigger fighters who cut weight drastically, power can almost evaporate. Fury's shots didn't seem to trouble the Italian on Saturday.

Granted he might not have been trying to knock the guy out, instead opting for the fitness, experience and rounds, but it's worrying when you're months away from facing a KO artist like Wilder.

52 minutes ago, Kid in the Riot said:

Nathan Cleverly seems to be the latest British boxer to be really struggling with retirement and going off the rails. His twitter feed over the past couple of months is a right mess

Christ you're not wrong. I wonder wtf happened on June 28, that's the day he seems to have gone tonto and full caps lock!

He did take a ludicrous amount of punishment in his last fights--especially the war with Fonfara. Or maybe Haye introduced him to his dealer haha.