IGNORED

The Boxing Thread

joe jordans teeth

Back to Fury, if only he'd listened to his corner who told him to throw his right hand more. The 1-2 down the pipe could have won him the fight. He'll be kicking himself today.

The game plan was clearly to disrupt Parker's rhythm, never stand in front of him, and pot shot. But it's almost like he took the gameplan too literally and forgot that he has to engage enough to win rounds clearly.

Parker seems like a really nice bloke, but he's a very one-dimensional fighter. Klitschko should come out of retirement to fight for the WBO belt because it's there for the taking. 

I can't see Parker lasting 6 rounds with Wilder or Joshua.

What now for Fury? If he doesn't trust his power or his chin he needs to find a strategy that can win elite level fights.

Edit: by the way, a draw would have been a fair result

Edited by mozo

3 hours ago, joe jordans teeth said:

@Stortz I'm afraid I may be right,Campbell been knocked down and had a nasty cut but has boxed well but his lack of power means lineras can just walk him down 

Campbell grew into the fight didn't he but he was always chasing the it after the KD. He was jabbing beautifully as it went on,  but never made Linares worry- I don't think the latter really got out of second gear. Campbell should have tried to use his greater size to try to physically bully Linares a bit, I think he respected him far too much

I reckon Campbell will come again though, that was a fantastic learning fight for him and he gave a better account of himself than Crolla in his last fight with Linares imo.

@mozza, Fury won't get a better chance to win a belt than that will he. As you say Parker is a very limited fighter, but Fury's gameplan played right into his hands. I thought Peter might have some tricks up his sleeve tactically, but nothing materialised.

John Fury claiming that the Government nobbled the Hughie result is paranoid wibble of the very highest order.

Fat Mick is ruined, blew a huge load of cash on last night's event and it flopped, both in terms of tickets and PPV. Hence the meltdown and talk of lawyers getting involved. He'll be begging Tyson to sort himself out and come out of retirement.

19 minutes ago, Stortz said:

Ffs, Ortiz pisses hot (again).

Wilder Ortiz off, although he can appeal. I wonder what the Cuban equivalent of wild boar is...

Edit- Ortiz's camp are claiming it's from blood pressure pills he has a T.U.E for. Let's hope they're right.

Can’t say I’m surprised.. real shame, I was looking forward to that one!

1 hour ago, Phileas Fogg said:

Can’t say I’m surprised.. real shame, I was looking forward to that one!

It might still happen mate, it's just suspended atm apparently. Ortiz's camp are adamant he has a TUE exemption and the WBC have ballsed up. You wouldn't be surprised if he needed blood pressure tablets at his age haha

If not then it could be good news for Whyte- or, more likely, Stiverne (yawn) or Breazeale.

2 hours ago, Stortz said:

It might still happen mate, it's just suspended atm apparently. Ortiz's camp are adamant he has a TUE exemption and the WBC have ballsed up. You wouldn't be surprised if he needed blood pressure tablets at his age haha

If not then it could be good news for Whyte- or, more likely, Stiverne (yawn) or Breazeale.

Well, he is about 54 after all!

I hope it still happens, but if not I would love Whyte to get the shot. What I like about Whyte is that despite his limitations, he really will fight anyone and unlike most fighters actually means it when he says it.

• Like 1

15 hours ago, Owl Visiting said:

What's your thoughts on this @Stortz? I don't know what to think about it really, I've got no faith in Haye's fitness anymore and already have my doubts that it'll even go ahead.

Hi mate, I agree that Haye's body is the biggest factor in the fight. If he is anything like fully fit you'd think he had far too much for Bellew. Haye's complete lack of sensible tactics in the first one was obviously because he knew that the pre fight rumours were all true and that the achilles wouldn't hold up, meaning he needed to get Bellew out early. If he could have set his feet to punch properly he might still have done it, but once the tendon went it was pretty cruel viewing.

Even then, Bellew still didn't have the power to finish a lame Haye off, and if he couldn't do it then I don't see how he ever could as Haye was a sitting duck. Bellew is small at the weight and not exactly blessed with boxing skill, and that won't have changed since March.

In all, I think we are probably in for another compelling but unedifying spectacle. If Haye can stay together physically he should easily win, but the suspicion is that he is shot and looking to cash out to fund his promotional ventures. With Bellew also on the cusp of retirement, this could well be the last we see of both of them in the ring. After the build up to the last one, and the fairly unpleasant personalities of both, a lot of people will be relieved! No doubt the respectful charade will drop at some stage of the build up- the cynic in me suspects probably at the start of fight week when some buys need generating haha.

There's a decent card from Liverpool on Sky tonight too, I'm looking forward to it.

Good luck v Leeds tomorrow, here's hoping you have less painful weekend than last!

• Thanks 1