IGNORED

The Boxing Thread

joe jordans teeth

I was really disappointed that the brave tactics of both defeated opponents at the top of the bill didn't garner greater reward. Briggs opponent attempted the mass and sudden exhalation of air from his lungs tactic last employed by James J Corbett v Bob Fitzsimmons in 1897, in which he was deliberately being walloped in the stomach in the hope that the sudden mass evacuation of air would knock Briggs to the canvas. Fair play to the American, he didn't even flinch. Unfortunately, as the Argentinian soon discovered, this tactic cannot be employed for very long before it results in the fighter's own demise.

In the case of Haye, his opponent, unbeaten in 30 fights, relied on the tactic of trying to get Haye to bust his knuckles on his forehead or to damage his toe as his lumbering frame hit the canvas at every given opportunity, each time missing Haye's feet. Apart from this I seen nothing offensively from either opponent. The ringwalks were the only offensive thing on view in my opinion.

1 hour ago, handsofclay1909 said:

I was really disappointed that the brave tactics of both defeated opponents at the top of the bill didn't garner greater reward. Briggs opponent attempted the mass and sudden exhalation of air from his lungs tactic last employed by James J Corbett v Bob Fitzsimmons in 1897, in which he was deliberately being walloped in the stomach in the hope that the sudden mass evacuation of air would knock Briggs to the canvas. Fair play to the American, he didn't even flinch. Unfortunately, as the Argentinian soon discovered, this tactic cannot be employed for very long before it results in the fighter's own demise.

In the case of Haye, his opponent, unbeaten in 30 fights, relied on the tactic of trying to get Haye to bust his knuckles on his forehead or to damage his toe as his lumbering frame hit the canvas at every given opportunity, each time missing Haye's feet. Apart from this I seen nothing offensively from either opponent. The ringwalks were the only offensive thing on view in my opinion.

The ring walks were nothing compared to Lethal Bizzle. I'll be saying "stay dench" for weeks...

43 minutes ago, handsofclay1909 said:

Who is this lethal Bizzle chap? I know I could look it up on Google, but think it will be more fun getting your take on it.

As far as I can tell he says "dench" a lot and is - if I remember correctly - related to our old pal Emmanuel Frimpong who was famously spotted disembarking a taxi at Ashton Gate some years back.

• Like 1

4 hours ago, MichaelRobartes said:

As far as I can tell he says "dench" a lot and is - if I remember correctly - related to our old pal Emmanuel Frimpong who was famously spotted disembarking a taxi at Ashton Gate some years back.

"Leave It Yeah" - another Lethal Bizzle catchphrase - was actually written across the vest JET revealed after THAT goal against Rovers. Who'd have thought Lethal Bizzle would have such a convoluted place in the history of the Bristol derby.

• Like 1

6 hours ago, AirlieBeachRed said:

Were two opponents who came across as piss poor and scared. Briggs is a fighter of the past. Lennox Lewis gave him pasting donkeys years ago. Lewis woulda taken Haye apart as will Joshua if they meet. 

I'm not so sure AJ will go through Haye, I look forward to the eventual fight though 

1 hour ago, Phileas Fogg said:

"Leave It Yeah" - another Lethal Bizzle catchphrase - was actually written across the vest JET revealed after THAT goal against Rovers. Who'd have thought Lethal Bizzle would have such a convoluted place in the history of the Bristol derby.

I vaguely remember reading something about him being mates with JET now that you mention it.

Lethal Bizzle, Bristol City legend.

• Like 1

24 minutes ago, joe jordans teeth said:

Benn is exciting but Christ he's just like his father,no defence but good chin

Ooh, a boxing thread!

Benn evidently enjoys a tear up! Bit slappy with his punches at times though. He looked a class above when he actually boxed.