IGNORED

The Boxing Thread

joe jordans teeth

9 hours ago, mozo said:

So Warren signed up Nicola Adams today. He no doubt had to outbid Hearn, who tried to shrug it off, but something tells me that he hoped that giving Katie Taylor centre stage would entice Adams. 

You might not be a fan of women's boxing (I personally think Adams and Taylor will inspire a surge in female participation), but from a promotional perspective don't underestimate Adams' appeal. She's a darling of British sport, an OBE no less, and she's got style. 

I actually proposed that Warren should sign her on my website back in December: http://www.bigtimeboxing.co.uk/?p=345

Warren needed to add something different to his stable, which in truth is lagging way behind Matchroom, and this could help draw attention to his new collaboration with BT Sports.

Will anyone follow her progress?

Will follow her for sure. 

Actually if you look on Facebook.  Jane Couch posted about it .... quite interesting

• Like 1

7 hours ago, Tomarse said:

Khan/Brook looks like falling through then. Khan wanting a 70/30 split. What a ***t he is.

Well I don't know why Hearn made it sound like it was close. He's negotiated with Khan's people (is it his family?) before and they always have the 'A-side' approach. 

But if it means Brook fights Spence Jr, then it's great news!

• Like 1

8 hours ago, Tomarse said:

Got the feeling Brook will vacate and move up... would be a great fight though.

It would be a good fight but it's very high risk and low reward for Kell imo, he's after ppv fights after wasting his time fighting the likes of Dan, Bizier and Gavin- Spence has about as much draw as those three but he's actually bloody dangerous!

Khan demanding a 70/30 split is an outright duck, he obviously has no intention of fighting Brook. Why the f*** should he dictate to the champion who should walk out first? The only place he's still the 'A' side is in his head; if he doesn't fight Brook he's an irrelevance.

@mozo, fair play for your your site mate, some good writing on there. I will check it again.

@soultrader looks like an excellent event, nice one.

And I'm just going to leave this here for @Super...

• Like 2

20 minutes ago, Stortz said:

It would be a good fight but it's very high risk and low reward for Kell imo, he's after ppv fights after wasting his time fighting the likes of Dan, Bizier and Gavin- Spence has about as much draw as those three but he's actually bloody dangerous!

Khan demanding a 70/30 split is an outright duck, he obviously has no intention of fighting Brook. Why the f*** should he dictate to the champion who should walk out first? The only place he's still the 'A' side is in his head; if he doesn't fight Brook he's an irrelevance.

@mozo, fair play for your your site mate, some good writing on there. I will check it again.

Blimey what an interesting bout! I love Malignaggi, my favourite boxer as he relies purely on pure boxing skill and speed as he carries no power, and has still managed 2 x world champs.

Wish him the best in this bout but still think he should call time on the career now.

That said, his last few fights have been against what you'd describe as 'domestic' opposition and he completely outclassed them. Could this be the same for poor Eggington?

34 minutes ago, Stortz said:

Think Paulie might bung @Super a couple of ringside seats since he's his biggest fan?

• Like 1

17 minutes ago, SARJ said:

Blimey what an interesting bout! I love Malignaggi, my favourite boxer as he relies purely on pure boxing skill and speed as he carries no power, and has still managed 2 x world champs.

Wish him the best in this bout but still think he should call time on the career now.

That said, his last few fights have been against what you'd describe as 'domestic' opposition and he completely outclassed them. Could this be the same for poor Eggington?

Eggington is a step up on the quality Paulie has been fighting of late, he seems to be a really late bloomer. The 6th in his fight with Gavin was brilliant and he really gutsed that fight out

If Paulie has lost a bit more of his sharpness and reflexes Eggington may make him pay.

@MichaelRobartes no doubt @Super will be hoping for a fighting and commentary double header!

• Like 2

So, amazing card on Sky tomorrow night. Selby in a real fight, an absolutely guaranteed barn burner in Dejan Zlaticanin v Mikey Garcia and then Frampton Santa Cruz 2.

My only problem is my daughter's 7th birthday party on Sunday that precludes me from watching it! @joe jordans teeth and @B1ackbird will no doubt be up and watching, anyone else?

Frampton by late tko imo, he looks on incredible shape

'Mon the jackal!

• Like 1

33 minutes ago, joe jordans teeth said:

I will be watching it mate,really looking forward to it. Thought Cruz would win the first fight but obviously family death did have a effect,Cruz by points or late KO

Fair play mate, am considering getting up rather than staying up!

Interested that you think LSC will take it, I thought Frampton had his number in by the end of the first fight and I reckon Carl will be looking to be more efficient in his punching on the counter rather than loading up and getting drawn into a macho shoot out his time. Do  you reckon Santa Cruz has another gear to go up from the first fight?

1 hour ago, Stortz said:

Fair play mate, am considering getting up rather than staying up!

Interested that you think LSC will take it, I thought Frampton had his number in by the end of the first fight and I reckon Carl will be looking to be more efficient in his punching on the counter rather than loading up and getting drawn into a macho shoot out his time. Do  you reckon Santa Cruz has another gear to go up from the first fight?

Cruz definitely has another gear to go up to without doubt mate,watched him a fair few times and he was well below par last fight,that may be down to frampton being just to good mind you 

31 minutes ago, Northern Red said:

Selby's fight is off tomorrow night. Barros didn't pass the medical, apparently testing positive for hepatitis.

How do they only pick that up when Selby's on the scales ffs?

Bizarre that really isn't it. Selby will still have to pay for his camp too you'd imagine, the same as Haskins did when he didn't fight Cabellero.

Edited by Stortz

4 minutes ago, joe jordans teeth said:

Cruz definitely has another gear to go up to without doubt mate,watched him a fair few times and he was well below par last fight,that may be down to frampton being just to good mind you 

Fantastic, should make for an even better fight then! I'm sure Santa Cruz's old man will be urging him on again.

The Dejan Zlaticanin v Mikey Garcia fight is going to be great, seriously!

8 hours ago, Northern Red said:

Selby's fight is off tomorrow night. Barros didn't pass the medical, apparently testing positive for hepatitis.

How do they only pick that up when Selby's on the scales ffs?

What a blow for LS. Will still be watching and unlike JJT will be going for a Frampton win

5 hours ago, joe jordans teeth said:

@Stortz the real Cruz turned up tonight,have it to Cruz by 2 maybe 3 rounds,3rd fight surely 

Fair play mate, you called it- he was loads better there than the last fight wasn't he? LSC seemed to control the distance between them far better and used his reach advantage very cleverly. Frampton wasn't as sharp by contrast and McGuigan didn't help him between rounds at all, as Johnny Nelson mentioned after the fight. LSC beat him on the inside, totally outgunned him with the jab and threw shitloads more punches, a fantastic performance from him. Bring on the third fight in Belfast!

State of Mikey Garcia's ko of Zlaticacin, that looked bad for a bit. I was relieved to see him get up.

Edited by Stortz

On 27 January 2017 at 22:05, joe jordans teeth said:

I will be watching it mate,really looking forward to it. Thought Cruz would win the first fight but obviously family death did have a effect,Cruz by points or late KO

Spot on JJT. LSC fought fire with fire* on the inside, and CF didn't have the success he enjoyed in the first fight 

I would be very surprised if LSC comes to Belfast for the decider.

* That's why I imagine he was thrown out of the fire brigade...

• Like 1

Anyone bought the Eubank Jr PPV for tomorrow night.

It annoys me that an event against a poor opponent for a mickey mouse belt is now a PPV fight. That said, Eubanks is always an exciting fighter ad the undercard is actually very good.

Don't know if I can part with my cash though, as it'll only encourage promoters to make more of these fights PPV. Might watch on my Kodi box or go up the lions.