IGNORED

The Boxing Thread

joe jordans teeth

On 2017-6-9 at 10:29, SARJ said:

Some of his most explosive fights included the loss to Jamoye in Belgium, which wasn't even broadcast over here (it's a real tear up and available on Youtube)

I remember watching this fight on the night, Think it was on eurosport if i'm not mistaken!!  Easily the best ever Haskins fight I've seen. I worked with him when he first turned pro and he really is a genuine nice chap still stops for a chat etc... if i see him out and about. Gave me a black eye once after we had a little sparring session in work ha! ha! Lets just say i didn't try that again :facepalm:

Not sure where he goes from here though, retire or fight a couple up and coming fighters for some extra money but risk losing his credibility if he loses.

6 minutes ago, Spoons said:

Although chris saniager has been in Haskins corner since he was a teenager he did him no favours tonight.

Should have pulled him out possibly after the arm injury and defiantly after the 10th.

Also what he was saying up until the last round to Haskins was a joke! 

He was as poor as the American judge who gave Haskins 10 rounds!!

Couldn't disagree more with you mate,you only pull fighters out when they are hurt,haskins dispite getting well beaten never was. Sanigar on the other hand you are right,lovely bloke but Jesus he is clueless not just tonight but with other boxers 

9 hours ago, joe jordans teeth said:

Couldn't disagree more with you mate,you only pull fighters out when they are hurt,haskins dispite getting well beaten never was. Sanigar on the other hand you are right,lovely bloke but Jesus he is clueless not just tonight but with other boxers 

Haskins was hurt , he only had his left hand for last three rounds. Injured his right arm in 10 th round. 

Was getting hurt with silly shots just because he only had one arm!

1 hour ago, Spoons said:

Haskins was hurt , he only had his left hand for last three rounds. Injured his right arm in 10 th round. 

Was getting hurt with silly shots just because he only had one arm!

He was getting hit plenty even before that. Considering retirement apparently makes sense.

• Like 1

Not being mean or owt but i have never liked or rated Haskins as a fighter, sure he has skills and is a tricky fighter but that isn't enough for me.

He doesn't have enough power and is never ruthless enough, which makes him boring to watch.

I don't know where Haskins goes from here, he isn't a spring chicken, maybe retirement as i can't see him doing anything at world level now.

7 hours ago, yardy said:

Not being mean or owt but i have never liked or rated Haskins as a fighter, sure he has skills and is a tricky fighter but that isn't enough for me.

He doesn't have enough power and is never ruthless enough, which makes him boring to watch.

I don't know where Haskins goes from here, he isn't a spring chicken, maybe retirement as i can't see him doing anything at world level now.

Bit harsh mate, the man is a Bristolian who defended his world title twice and he went out on his shield when it would have been very easy to pull out with the shoulder injury when he was looking at getting ktfo. Nothing but respect from me.

Overall it was a very poor card.

• Like 1

15 hours ago, yardy said:

Entitled to your opinion Yardy, but Haskins does have power, included winning his IBF title by 5th Round KO. I've watched him box live and on TV many times where he's won by KO.

Whilst his tricky style never appeal to the masses, you got to respect the man, he's done things the hard way. Turned pro at 19 and fought often away or in poor leisure centres and sports halls due to Bristol having zero infrastructure. That takes balls and self determination in itself, especially when you see other IBF champions packing out their local state of the art arenas or getting Sky PPV.

As for Saturday night he was getting soundly beaten in the first 4 rounds before his arm went. People criticisng Sanigar for his words in the corner, but as a world champion, you're never going to want to give up, even if it means fighting with 1 arm (Danny Williams and Malignaggi done it and won titles). Actually gained a lot more respect for him carrying on for the full 12 fair play. Even landed some flush punches in Round 12.

He announced his retirement of Facebook later that evening however.

• Like 1

Have a lot of respect for Haskins clearly not the most talented fighter but has achieved great things in his career. A lot of his fights have been boring though agree with Yardy on that. Good luck to him in the future.

• Like 1

Just now, B1ackbird said:

RIP Errol Christie.

I remember his fight with Mark Kaylor, both floored (I think) and wobbled on numerous occasions before Kayor won in the eighth..

They genuinely detested each other at the time and neither went on to fufill their potential.

I think that was when I first started watching boxing around that era. Kaylor, EC, Tony Sibson etc. Those fights were usually on Sportsnight always preferred that to Midweek Sports Special!

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, Super said:

I think that was when I first started watching boxing around that era. Kaylor, EC, Tony Sibson etc. Those fights were usually on Sportsnight always preferred that to Midweek Sports Special!

Another domestic fight from around that time was Honeyghan v Mittie, I think that was on Sportsnight.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, MichaelRobartes said:

Ryan Burnett v Lee Haskins fight scored incorrectly - IBF - http://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/boxing/40255469

Finally. Nice to see a bit of justice in boxing for once. Will the fight result now be amended to 'unanimous'.

Saw the judge at ringside. Very old, frail and was apparently asking what fighter Haskins was. I know we shouldn't be ageist, but boxing, just like football, is a business where records matter and can sell a fighter. Such a farce shouldn't be happening at world title level. Sort it out IBF.

• Like 3

1 hour ago, SARJ said:

Finally. Nice to see a bit of justice in boxing for once. Will the fight result now be amended to 'unanimous'.

Saw the judge at ringside. Very old, frail and was apparently asking what fighter Haskins was. I know we shouldn't be ageist, but boxing, just like football, is a business where records matter and can sell a fighter. Such a farce shouldn't be happening at world title level. Sort it out IBF.

Totally agree. I do feel a bit sorry for the guy though, he must be mortified. Sounds like he's an experienced and reliable guy who has had a massive brainfart.

• Like 1

22 minutes ago, Tomarse said:

The only highlight of this will be awful buildup I guess.   Floyd will polish him off in under 4.  

Yep, it'll be next level shit talking followed by an embarrassing mismatch of a fight that will make an obscene amount of cash.

McGregor is going to have Mayweather on toast prior to the bout, before getting done right in where it matters. Ricky Hatton looked like Oscar Wilde compared to PBF in the build up to their fight so I dread to think what McGregor will do to him haha.

• Like 1

The press conferences and build up will be absolutely hilarious, comedy gold.

The fight itself however will be a farce. The most 1 sided thing you could ever witness (Stortz - I'm thinking similar to Mayweather v Gatti but worse).

Interestingly a lot of pundits and online blogs backing McGregor to do something stupid to get himself disqualified but save face i.e. flying kick to the head at some point during the fight. No jokes. Sky also have Mayweather to win by DQ as evens. McGregor's ego is too big to accept a public humiliation, so this could be interesting if it pans out.

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, Tomarse said:

I find this amazing.. surely you could spread bet across the lot (assuming a TKO for Floyd) and come out quids in?

Capture.PNG

That was my plan mate, although I assume Sky think he'll win on points rather than Round stoppage. Joke really. My personal opinion: I think McGregor will be pulled out or the Ref will stop it as Conor takes too much punishment. Genuinely think Floyd will be very aggressive in this fight.

1 hour ago, SARJ said:

The press conferences and build up will be absolutely hilarious, comedy gold.

The fight itself however will be a farce. The most 1 sided thing you could ever witness (Stortz - I'm thinking similar to Mayweather v Gatti but worse).

Interestingly a lot of pundits and online blogs backing McGregor to do something stupid to get himself disqualified but save face i.e. flying kick to the head at some point during the fight. No jokes. Sky also have Mayweather to win by DQ as evens. McGregor's ego is too big to accept a public humiliation, so this could be interesting if it pans out.

He's going to have to do something mate, because he isn't very good at boxing at all