IGNORED

The Boxing Thread

joe jordans teeth

44 minutes ago, Up The City! said:

So one sided that Connor almost knocked him out?  Come on at least be gracious in victory and come to the table with the facts. 

This coming from someone who said I'd be full of I told you sos. Pot,kettle,black.

However the fight went I enjoyed it. I respect both fighters for their participation. despite my dislike for Maywesther I still respect him. I dislike him simply because he is so god damn good and professional and gets the job done. I'll always cheer on the under dog.

Such a shame you can't give Connor any credit or respect but then I guess that's what sets me and you apart. 

Almost knocked him out. You are a joker pal.

• Like 2

40 minutes ago, Tomarse said:

Right that crap is done with.. Canelo v GGG - bring it on.

A thousand times this, enough of this bollocks.

Reality caught up with the hype and bullshit. If anyone thinks Mayweather was in a scintilla of trouble for a second of that then they are watching a different sport to everyone else. Surviving until the tenth gets little respect from me, you have to make a fight of it too. It says it all that there were 14k attending in a 20k arena.

Bring on the Good boy!

Edit- Chocolatito before that too!

Edited by Stortz
  • Like 1

48 minutes ago, Northern Red said:

Nathan Cleverly needs to call it a day now, he's shot to bits.

Edit: It appears that he has.

Saw that fight - albeit half asleep - Badou Jack relentless at the end.

The Davis fight was also a good watch, didn't look as good as usual though and his opponent was pretty durable. Davis is good to watch, fast, powerful and still very young.

Edited by Phileas Fogg

On 8/27/2017 at 06:14, Phileas Fogg said:

Hmm I think Floyd went easier on him for a few rounds to make the match more of a spectacle. Mayweather threw about 12 punches in the first 2 rounds.

Even at that intensity - it's a bit embarrassing Conor gassed out so early. I thought he'd been working on his cardio.

I doubt there'll be a rematch, when the dust settles people will realise Mayweather was in control ultimately. 50-0 is a nice round number for Mayweather to retire on.

I think there's a far better chance of Conor fighting Paulie; that's a marketable fight.

Well the spectacle is over and it was an interesting fight.

If you are a McGregor fanboy or MMA fan with rose tinted glasses, you’d say Conor did very well to last 10 rounds with the ‘best ever’ and still take 3 early rounds.

For me personally I was very disappointed with McGregor. For all the brash talk in the press conferences and ‘Mystic Mac’ predictions, McGregor’s fitness was shocking. From round 3 you knew the fight had one outcome as the Irishman was gassed.

As for his ‘devastating power’ he was giving Mayweather little taps all night, very few power punches. His stance was also peculiar with a high chin becoming an easy target for Floyd’s right hand. Lots of illegal holding and rabbit punching too which most referees would have deducted a point for because it continued for so long despite the warnings.

As for Floyd, easy work. McGregor only won the first 2/3 rounds because Floyd let him. The game plan was to let the MMA man tire out, and the plan certainly came to fruition. After that Floyd just walked him down and picked him off easily. Not Mayweather’s greatest performance, but certainly entertaining and got the job done in style.

I personally felt Mayweather could have ended the fight a whole lot quicker, but rumours are he had £400k on himself to win by in Round 10, so it’s not surprise that’s when the stoppage occurred.

• Like 3

On ‎27‎/‎08‎/‎2017 at 06:42, Up The City! said:

The fact Connor stepped into a boxing ring and for a part held his own draws a massive amount of respect for me.

Agree 100% with that sentiment.

Just as a bit of a side-line but not sure how many of you have seen the pics doing the rounds of Conor's after fight party.  Strange how after getting his hair cut how it all grew back so quickly !!

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Super said:

ANTHONY JOSHUA will fight Bulgarian Kubrat Pulev for the IBF world heavyweight title on October 28 in Cardiff.

Well this is a massive surprise!

Talking of heavyweight title fights, it's now less than 3 weeks until Hughie Fury is supposedly fighting Joseph Parker in Manchester. Given that there is still no TV deal announced and that they have sold a pitiful amount of tickets, shall we have a sweepstake on the excuse for cancelling this time? I'm going for poisoned hedgehog meat- although 'slipping in the shower' seems to be having a recent renaissance...

Edited by Stortz

13 minutes ago, Stortz said:

Well this is a massive surprise!

Talking of heavyweight title fights, it's now less than 3 weeks until Hughie Fury is supposedly fighting Joseph Parker in Manchester. Given that there is still no TV deal announced and that they have sold a pitiful amount of tickets, shall we have a sweepstake on the excuse for cancelling this time? I'm going for poisoned hedgehog meat- although 'slipping in the shower' seems to be having a recent renaissance...

I hope it happens, Hughie in particular needs to be fighting - I feel he's got a chance in this one too. 

I can see a narrative happening whereby Hughie wins, fights Joshua next year who knocks him out. Tyson is there watching, his ban since lifted, and charges into the ring post-fight to announce his un-retirement and calls Joshua out to have revenge for his cousin!

Would love that to see Tyson back anyway..

Edited by Phileas Fogg

9 hours ago, Northern Red said:

Canelo-GGG is £16.95 on BoxNation, although free if you're already a subscriber - that's to the BoxNation HD channel though, not the SD version that has recently become available to people who have BT Sport.

I'd normally not bother but I think I'll be getting this, not messing about with streams for it.

Assume anyone can purchase that on PPV? If so, I'll definitely do it.

What's happened to Callum Smith's career? I see he's still unbeaten but a couple of years ago he was so impressive in the way he was blowing opponents away I'd have thought he'd have been in some big, big fights by now. Don't know much about Skoglund but see he's unbeaten too.

Joshua v Pulev just been 'officially' announced. Sat Oct 28th at Cardiff's Millennium Stadium (Principality as it's now known).

Tried looking for tickets but details not announced yet. Can't see this one selling out like Wembley did if I'm honest. Hopefully means cheaper tickets become available nearer the time.

4 hours ago, Phileas Fogg said:

image.png.0ecd9d0001ccf94c5655490d0d2eb00b.png

Interesting.. says to me ticket sales are poor as rumoured - wonder how this model will work? YouTube don't make you pay for content so are they relying on ad revenue here?

If it's a live-stream I wonder how many viewers it'll get.

They are charging £9.99 a pop hahaha. Good luck with that.

56 minutes ago, SARJ said:

Joshua v Pulev just been 'officially' announced. Sat Oct 28th at Cardiff's Millennium Stadium (Principality as it's now known).

Tried looking for tickets but details not announced yet. Can't see this one selling out like Wembley did if I'm honest. Hopefully means cheaper tickets become available nearer the time.

This likely to be an easy night for AJ?

4 hours ago, SARJ said:

In my opinion yes, although some rate Pulev's chances. Can't see anything other than an AJ KO victory personally.

Who is that mate, the Sauerland brothers and Pulev's mum?!

I agree with you, the Bulgarian will have a lucrative but brief and painful evening. He has an ok-ish jab, but that's about all you could say. He is comparatively slow, easy to hit and of little threat to AJ. 

I'd be surprised to see it go beyond 4/5 rounds.

• Like 1

58 minutes ago, Stortz said:

Who is that mate, the Sauerland brothers and Pulev's mum?!

I agree with you, the Bulgarian will have a lucrative but brief and painful evening. He has an ok-ish jab, but that's about all you could say. He is comparatively slow, easy to hit and of little threat to AJ. 

I'd be surprised to see it go beyond 4/5 rounds.

Few rumours of fights in the US combined with this fight and Fury vs Parker could open the division right up for 2018.

Wilder vs Ortiz and Miller vs Stiverne I read could be happening in November.

33 minutes ago, Super said:

He probably looks at the lack of big fights out there for AJ and thinks he still might get a shot at him. Could happen.

Haye's reputation has diminished greatly since the loss to Bellew. He's more into being a celebrity than a boxer. Can't blame him for trying to talk himself into fights to get one or two more big days before properly retiring. 

• Like 1