IGNORED

The Boxing Thread

joe jordans teeth

On 10/29/2017 at 09:12, Phileas Fogg said:

No it isn't. I think he likes looking like a bodybuilder (which is a big part of his image) and eventually it'll be his downfall. You could see him breathing heavily as the fight went into the mid rounds. If he fights someone who can keep him off or withstand his artillery until the later rounds I think he's in danger of gassing out.

Takam I feel also showed how a better fighter could beat AJ. I'm not totally convinced by Joshua personally and feel he's quite overrated. What he is though is an incredibly marketable sportsman and Hearn has done a great job on that side of things.

After last night though I feel even more confident that a fully fit Fury (perhaps an oxymoron) is a nightmare for Joshua and outboxes him. I also feel that Povetkin stands a good chance too. Perhaps the most watchable fight would be Wilder vs Joshua as i'm sure it would result in an explosive KO - really hope that gets made next year.

The Whyte fight wasn't great - lots of people unhappy with the PPV due to Cordina not being shown in his home town (in favour of a ridiculous AJ eulogy) and Dave Allen missing out. I appreciate fights will always be dropped if others go the distance, but a bit of a shame and I can see why people are upset about that. 

Have to agree. Wasn't impressed with Joshua at all. Looked gassed after round 4 (breathing with mouth wide open) and extremely flat footed. Larry Holmes claimed prime AJ beats Tyson; laughable as if Tyson hit AJ with some of the shots Takam did Saturday night it would be lights out.

21 minutes ago, SARJ said:

Have to agree. Wasn't impressed with Joshua at all. Looked gassed after round 4 (breathing with mouth wide open) and extremely flat footed. Larry Holmes claimed prime AJ beats Tyson; laughable as if Tyson hit AJ with some of the shots Takam did Saturday night it would be lights out.

I think i'm a little harsh because I don't like his manufactured personality.

I feel he's not actually the "nice guy" Sky and Hearn would have everyone believe and it comes out sometimes in interviews. His old name was 'Big Femi' when he was a tearaway and I feel that side of his personality is still dormant in him and comes out. 

I find his media personality a bit wooden and false but he's shoved down our throats because he's incredibly marketable.

He looks the part, his knockouts are explosive and he's becoming very well known. He's the perfect cash cow for Hearn and Sky and people who don't really follow boxing apart from big fights will always buy his tickets or PPV.

I give him full credit for the Wlad fight, was a great fight and a good solid win. I feel that Wlad was on the wane though and had it happened a few years earlier, Wlad wouldn't have let him recover when he wobbled AJ.

It's such a shame he's not in an era of particularly strong competition. I think the only people who'd trouble him are Wilder (his unpredictable power), Povetkin and a fully fit and firing Tyson Fury. I suspect Hearn will try and get the Fury fight made as soon as Fury is licensed and fit but before he's ready - he'll know Tyson is a genuine threat and I think a fully fit 2015' Fury boxes circles around AJ. 

Edited by Phileas Fogg

5 minutes ago, Tomarse said:

I think you make some valid points.  I personally don't care too much about the personality but it is a bit fake I'm sure.  The hype reminds me a bit of the Naseem era - probably because I was in my late teens at the time and he got me into the sport. 

I think the thing that irritates far more seasoned boxing fans than myself about AJ, Hearn and Sky is the hype. I'm relatively new to boxing myself and it was only really the Wlad vs Fury and AJ vs Whyte fights in 2015 that got me hooked after a few years of casually taking an interest.

It's the silly people on Twitter who think AJ is the greatest HW of all time.. he's untouchable, he'd knock out Lewis, Tyson AND Ali if they came at him at once.. it's the eulogising over AJ as some sort of all conquering hero (like the grotesque cinematic montage of AJ's career to date instead of showing the Cordina fight on Sky).

It's also the under-appreciation of what Fury achieved - going to Germany and outboxing Wlad is a greater achievement for many boxing fans than AJ's win. Wlad was a bit younger, it was on home turf and Fury never looked in trouble really.. whereas Wlad dropped AJ and could have won the fight if he was a bit more clinical.

5 minutes ago, Tomarse said:

Defo too much weight last two fights imo. He's was 11lbs heavier on Sat to when he fought Breazeale. He needs to get down around 245 where he's looked his best.  I'm not sure how we can compare AJ now to how TF was 3 years ago. I'm not sure a returning Fury can match those levels again? He's had too many burgers and beak and I reckon it'll be telling.  Found it very surprising he's not even tweeted about the fight.

Agree - I think he loves being in that shape and it's part of his image. People will naturally think how can someone as big and strong as he ever lose!

That's my worry with Fury. It would take some serious motivation and graft to get anywhere near to those levels. He hasn't been training really and it'll take him a while to shake off the ring rust. Then again, he's still young enough to get into that shape if he wants to and he's a natural fighter so if he does it right.. a comeback is possible.

I thought Hearn's comments on Fury were interesting. He wants to sign him to Matchroom and perhaps a deal has been done.. but the conditions involved a radio silence on fight night and a big announcement once the dust settled during the next few weeks.

5 hours ago, Phileas Fogg said:

I feel he's not actually the "nice guy" Sky and Hearn would have everyone believe and it comes out sometimes in interviews. His old name was 'Big Femi' when he was a tearaway and I feel that side of his personality is still dormant in him and comes out. 

I find his media personality a bit wooden and false but he's shoved down our throats because he's incredibly marketable.

Very true. Heard a lot of very bad things about AJ that, if these were common knowledge, would destroy his carefully calculated PR image. This includes a story about how, during his gang days, he ripped apart a defenseless German shepherd dog with his bare hands.

That said, in the ring, an accomplished boxer. His performance against Wlad was phenomenal, but Cardiff on Saturday I was not impressed. Genuinely think Tyson Fury from 2015 would have his number.

• Like 1

On ‎29‎/‎10‎/‎2017 at 09:12, Phileas Fogg said:

Takam I feel also showed how a better fighter could beat AJ. I'm not totally convinced by Joshua personally and feel he's quite overrated. 

Not sure by whom? Maybe folk on social media who are new to the sport and only now follow it because of AJ. But most boxing experts and casual fans would admit he is far from the finished article yet. 20 pro fights, 20 wins, all stoppages. That's all we can really judge him on the moment; and that is a hugely impressive record. But sure, he has his faults and still has plenty to learn. I like the way he is fully aware of that himself and no matter what happens I think he has captured the imagination because it feels like he is going on a journey within the sport.  As I said before, his downfall might ultimately be a lack of credible opponents sadly. FWIW I definitely envisage him losing a fight or two down the line too - just a feeling.

34 minutes ago, Kid in the Riot said:

Not sure by whom? Maybe folk on social media who are new to the sport and only now follow it because of AJ. But most boxing experts and casual fans would admit he is far from the finished article yet. 20 pro fights, 20 wins, all stoppages. That's all we can really judge him on the moment; and that is a hugely impressive record. But sure, he has his faults and still has plenty to learn. I like the way he is fully aware of that himself and no matter what happens I think he has captured the imagination because it feels like he is going on a journey within the sport.  As I said before, his downfall might ultimately be a lack of credible opponents sadly. FWIW I definitely envisage him losing a fight or two down the line too - just a feeling.

I agree, it's only bellends who know nothing gobbing off such rubbish, no-one with the slightest bit of boxing knowledge thinks AJ would beat a prime Mike Tyson. Unfortunately the 'know **** all but fancy a night on the gak and beer singing sweet caroline' demographic regurgitating this sort of shite is exactly the one Matchroom are going for with these stadium shows.

There seem to be a lot of people a bit misty eyed about Fury's record since AJ's first sub- par performance too. He may have bewildered Wlad in 2015 but before that- Chisora excepted- his resume is pretty threadbare. He was put on his arse by a pumped up Cruiserweight in Steve Cunningham in 2013. I agree that the fighter who fought Wlad would give AJ nightmares and more than likely win, but Tyson has only ever shown that he can be that fighter once and he sure has done a lot of eating since then.

54 minutes ago, SARJ said:

This includes a story about how, during his gang days, he ripped apart a defenseless German shepherd dog with his bare hands.

I can't help but hear Chris Morris's voice when I read this, it's like a claim from Brasseye!

Edited by Stortz
  • Like 1
  • Haha 1

1 hour ago, Kid in the Riot said:

Overrated by those that don’t really follow boxing but will buy only the Joshua fights or even the MayMac fight.

Have a look at Twitter any time he fights and it’s filled with hyperbolic rubbish from those people who don’t really understand the sport and just watch once or twice a year. 

Same sort of people who thought that McGregor had a chance against Mayweather. Hearn and Sky will love those sort of fans though because they’ll buy all PPV and lap up all the over the top content on Joshua.

Despite not really liking him, I think he’s a good world level boxer and is good to watch. I feel the current era is weak and I’d like to see him really tested. Wilder would be an interesting fight. I’d quite like to see him lose, I think I might warm to him a bit more if he deals with that.

Edited by Phileas Fogg
  • Like 1

2 hours ago, Super said:

Forget Fury. AJ will he retired by the time he sorts himself out.

Coincidently lots of rumours floating about tonight that he’s got his license back (he posted some random thing on Twitter saying he had.. but with a picture talking about a new hearing date) and rumours that he’s met/meeting with Hearn about next year.

There’s too much money in that AJ superfight for Hearn not to try and make it. I think it will happen next year, but I just hope we get to see the best version of Fury. To get that, it might take the best part of a year as he’ll need a couple of tune up fights first..

Great for boxing if it happens 

Edited by Phileas Fogg

23 hours ago, Stortz said:

I can't help but hear Chris Morris's voice when I read this, it's like a claim from Brasseye!

Laugh all you want, but in boxing circles this is a story I've heard a few times at different ABCs.

Remember they said the same about Gerald McClellan? He used to run dog fights which included cellotaping shut a Labradors mouth before throwing the poor dog to the hungry pitbulls for cash. Nobody believed it at the time, turned out it was true.

1 hour ago, SARJ said:

Laugh all you want, but in boxing circles this is a story I've heard a few times at different ABCs.

Remember they said the same about Gerald McClellan? He used to run dog fights which included cellotaping shut a Labradors mouth before throwing the poor dog to the hungry pitbulls for cash. Nobody believed it at the time, turned out it was true.

It was well known to most that McClellan was into dogfighting well before he fought Benn. He used to do that with the labs to train his favourite pit bull, which was called Deuce. He even had a tattoo of Deuce on his arm. I knew all of that before the fight. That is absolutely disgusting of course, as would the AJ story be if true, and was one of many reasons I was delighted Benn won.

If you'll read my post though you will see that I wasn't laughing at the actual story itself (although frankly it sounds like utter bollocks) but noting that it sounded like something from Brasseye that Chris Morris would make up- for instance when it was claimed that Cake made you vomit up your sternum.

Hope that clears it up.

Edited by Stortz

On 31/10/2017 at 17:29, Stortz said:

It was well known to most that McClellan was into dogfighting well before he fought Benn. He used to do that with the labs to train his favourite pit bull, which was called Deuce. He even had a tattoo of Deuce on his arm. I knew all of that before the fight. That is absolutely disgusting of course, as would the AJ story be if true, and was one of many reasons I was delighted Benn won.

If you'll read my post though you will see that I wasn't laughing at the actual story itself (although frankly it sounds like utter bollocks) but noting that it sounded like something from Brasseye that Chris Morris would make up- for instance when it was claimed that Cake made you vomit up your sternum.

Hope that clears it up.

Benn v McClellan possibly one of the best performances from a U.K. Fighter I've ever seen, McGuigan had a column in a national tabloid in which he gave Benn a very remote (punchers) chance of winning, all of which you couldn't disagree with, McClellan held all the aces, what followed was Benns bloody minded refusal to lose, it would have been replayed thousands of times if it wasn't for the. Tragic aftermath....

• Like 2

On 30/10/2017 at 10:33, Phileas Fogg said:

He looks the part, his knockouts are explosive and he's becoming very well known. He's the perfect cash cow for Hearn and Sky and people who don't really follow boxing apart from big fights will always buy his tickets or PPV.

I give him full credit for the Wlad fight, was a great fight and a good solid win. I feel that Wlad was on the wane though and had it happened a few years earlier, Wlad wouldn't have let him recover when he wobbled AJ.

It's such a shame he's not in an era of particularly strong competition. I think the only people who'd trouble him are Wilder (his unpredictable power), Povetkin and a fully fit and firing Tyson Fury. I suspect Hearn will try and get the Fury fight made as soon as Fury is licensed and fit but before he's ready - he'll know Tyson is a genuine threat and I think a fully fit 2015' Fury boxes circles around AJ. 

Agree with what you say about AJ. At the moment he is the British media’s darling, I fear a little for AJ because as we know the British media love nothing better than to build them up to knock them down. AJ clearly has a chequered past, to be fair he hasn’t hidden it , I just wonder whether they are a number of skeletons in his closet that will come out, his fall from grace could he quite brutal 

4 minutes ago, joe jordans teeth said:

Did you watch quigg? Any good 

I watched it mate. Quigg was stupid yet effective as usual, walked matey down while taking a load of punches he didn't need to.

The only thing he seems to have learned during his time at the Wild Card Gym is to keep his head stock still while fighting and absorb everything coming at him with his chin! Roach wasn't even there as he's preparing for Cotto's swan song. He was still the first fighter to ever stop the guy he was in with, so fair play for that.

13 minutes ago, Stortz said:

I watched it mate. Quigg was stupid yet effective as usual, walked matey down while taking a load of punches he didn't need to.

The only thing he seems to have learned during his time at the Wild Card Gym is to keep his head stock still while fighting and absorb everything coming at him with his chin! Roach wasn't even there as he's preparing for Cotto's swan song. He was still the first fighter to ever stop the guy he was in with, so fair play for that.

He's dropped right off the radar since the frampton fight which is odd because it wasn't one sided by any means 

8 minutes ago, Owl Visiting said:

He barely ever seems to win Chisora. He's fought some good fighters but loses to every single one. This looks like it will be another.

Hiya Owl, you're right there. His best performance ever was losing against Vitali. His resume is top class though, he never turns down a fight.

I saw an interview with him the other day where he claimed he has made £3.5 million from boxing so fair play to him. Pretty shite tonight though.

2 minutes ago, Stortz said:

Hiya Owl, you're right there. His best performance ever was losing against Vitali. His resume is top class though, he never turns down a fight.

I saw an interview with him the other day where he claimed he has made £3.5 million from boxing so fair play to him. Pretty shite tonight though.

Fair play to him, probably deserves it with getting in the ring with all those guys. Is there a current heavyweight in boxing who's had as many difficult fights?

Definitely a horrible man though.