IGNORED

The Boxing Thread

joe jordans teeth

Inexplicable performance from DeGale against a limited if gutsy opponent. He has got away with taking periods of the fight off to lay against the ropes before- particularly against Badou Jack- but tonight his luck ran out. Such a frustrating character, he has the tools to be top level but not the attitude or ring generalship imo.

• Like 2

4 hours ago, EmersonsRed said:

Loma. Incredible.

He looked as great as ever but Rigo was shocking. I don't understand how he managed to damage his hand barely throwing and without landing any punches. Thin air doesn't usually hurt to hit does it. I can only presume it was done when the ref was trying to peel him off of Loma.

Rigo realised he had no chance very early, quit as soon as he thought it decent and didn't even put up a token effort before that. Hugely disappointing.

• Like 1

Britain's Tyson Fury is free to resume his boxing career after accepting a backdated two-year doping ban.

The former heavyweight world champion was charged in June 2016 for using a banned steroid, but blamed the result on eating uncastrated wild boar.

His victory over Wladimir Klitschko in November 2015 was his last fight before beginning his legal battle with UK Anti-Doping (Ukad).

Fury, 29, is free to fight again once he regains his boxing licence.

The British Boxing Board of Control (BBBofC), which manages the licensing of boxers in the UK, has agreed to the outcome, according to Ukad.

Last month BBC Sport reported that Ukad feared it could be made insolvent or require a bailout over the dispute had Fury been cleared.

"In recognition of the retrospective counter-arguments and the risks inherent in the dispute resolution process, each side has accepted a compromise of its position," Ukad said.

Hughie Fury, Tyson's cousin, has reached a similar agreement after he tested positive in February 2015.

The Furys insist they have "never knowingly or deliberately committed a violation".

Don't see much boxing on a Wednesday night these days!

Katie Taylor tops a stacked card at York Hall which sees many of Britain's most exciting prospects in action, including Josh Kelly, Joe Cordina, Lawrence Okolie and Conor Benn.

Taylor makes the first defence of her WBA lightweight world title as the Irish sensation takes on Chicago's Jessica McCaskill this Wednesday night, live on Sky Sports.

3 minutes ago, Tomarse said:

Warren v Hearn the biggest bout of 2018 :whistle:

Someone has sand in their vagina haha.

Seeing him of all people take the moral high ground on ticket sales is fairly amusing. Nothing to do with all of his prospects going down the gurgler I'm sure.

He comes over pretty stressed actually, his eyes are bulging like Arnie on Mars in Total Recal.

And speaking of bulging eyes:

Without commeting on future bouts, BJS was superb on the weekend, looked brilliant and completely outboxed Lemiux.

What annoyed me were Lemiux's post-fight comments, similar to Guerrero and Canelo when they fought Mayweather: moaning that he "ran away". BJS was playing 'the boxer' i.e. hit without getting hit. Displayed great footwork and lateral movement. Lemiux was hitting thin air. So rather than saying fair play, he moans that BJS didn't stan square in front of him: ridiculous.

• Like 2

14 hours ago, JonDolman said:

Yeah I agree. Canelo definitely has flaws, and a fit bjs doesn't really have any. I believe he'd outbox canelo, but whether the judges would make the right decision against canelo is another thing.

BJS is a bit feather fisted for a MW. Canelo's boxing ability is underestimated imo, he's certainly a completely different league to a basic slugger like Lemiuex. He is a great counter puncher and excellent technically.

Let's not get too carried away, fine as the performance was from Saunders on Saturday. Canelo has already been in with multiple hall of famers and has only been out boxed by Mayweather.

• Like 1

56 minutes ago, JonDolman said:

Khan outboxed canelo till the inevitable happened. I think bjs is too slippery for canelo. I've never seen bjs wobbled and looks to me to have underrated power.

Canelo v Khan went exactly as you'd expect given the massive weight difference on fight night and their natural sizes, I don't think that's a very good example tbh.

Don't get me wrong, BJS would be an awkward, hard night's work for anyone; I just don't think we've seen enough from him to talk about him outboxing the elite as he hasn't fought them yet.

You're right, he does seem to have a fantatsic chin, but I'd say his lack of top tier power was proven clearly by his resume. It's all about opinions of course and I haven't seen all of his fights, so I'm interested to hear why you think his power is underrated, have you seen a lot of him?