IGNORED

The Boxing Thread

joe jordans teeth

4 hours ago, Super said:

Does Povetkin have any chance in this fight? He will certainly have to improve from the Price fight that's for sure.

I think I've said before on here, Povetkin is easily the 2nd best boxer AJ has been in with. He is a live dog in this fight, and I can't help but think a lot of people are overlooking him for the (unlikely it appears now) April Wilder fight.

Povetkin was a hugely decorated amatuer and is an intelligent pressure fighter with a genuine threat to AJ. He'll be looking to get inside and tee off with the booming overhand rights that did for Price and his excellent left hook; Joshua will probably have to use his boxing smarts and size advantage to nullify Povetkin's early attacks- and it looks like Sasha will really go for it as the Russians are reporting he is coming in heavy.

You'd think AJ will weather the early storm, but putting Povetkin away is no easy task either (I know Price got him to do a bit of a chicken dance but Dave hits HARD so there's no shame in that). Povetkin's only ever been put down by Wlad in his entire career, and still took that fight to the cards and and didn't stop throwing back, despite being decked 4 times. There's a suspicion AJ might be getting him at the right time given he's nearly 40, but it's nothing like as easy as the casuals are claiming.

I think @daored is bang on though, Joshua will surely be looking to make a statement after the mixed receptions to the Takam and Parker fights, and I would expect him to be too much for Povetkin around 6-8. He needs to keep his wits about him though, or he will come unstuck.

Edited by Stortz
  • Like 1

7 minutes ago, Super said:

Anything good on the undercard?

• Luke Campbell vs Yvan Mendy
  • Matty Askin vs Lawrence Okolie (Cruiserweight)
  • Sergey Kuzmin vs David Price (Heavyweight)
  • Shakhram Giyasov vs Julio Laguna - (Welterweight)
  • Dana Remezan vs TBD - (Light-Heavyweight)

Cambpell Mandy was a good fight first time around and Askin Okolie is a decent looking bout.

I don't know what David Price has done to Eddie Hearn, first Povetkin now this! Kuzmin is a horrible, horrible match up for him and he could end up in a worse state than Sasha left him.

2 hours ago, Stortz said:

Cambpell Mandy was a good fight first time around and Askin Okolie is a decent looking bout.

I don't know what David Price has done to Eddie Hearn, first Povetkin now this! Kuzmin is a horrible, horrible match up for him and he could end up in a worse state than Sasha left him.

Campbell / Mandy the pick for me. Interesting to see how Campbell gets on with the new trainer 

52 minutes ago, Owl Visiting said:

He was spotted chatting to Paulie at York Hall the other day

What an objectionable little nause, giving it the big 'un from up there and recording it to impress his fellow spotty chavs.

Doubtlessly he would have shit his britches if Paulie was actually anywhere near him.

5 minutes ago, Super said:

Wilder v fury dec 1st.

Well hurrah, some definite news at last. Seems bizarre that such a big fight is only going to have 8 weeks of promotion but there we go- and no details nailed down. I'll still believe it's definitely going to happen when the first bell rings.

It's fairly churlish-- if clever promotionally- of them to announce on the morning of Joshua's fight. It gets them a load of free publicity courtesy of Sky and DAZN haha, Eddie will be fuming.

Off to a wedding in Wales, see you at 2200 chaps, enjoy the undercard.