IGNORED

The Boxing Thread

joe jordans teeth

3 minutes ago, joe jordans teeth said:

It’s all a bit odd,a fair few of my mates were and some are still in the boxing game and all bar one are saying Warrington won it by 2 or 3,can’t see it myself but that’s boxing I guess 

Jamie Moore on 5Live had Warrington by 6, although he did say that none of the rounds were particularly clear cut.

image.jpeg.61ddcedb8654a430783d8fbc70627524.jpeg

4 hours ago, Slacker said:

What happened?KO or ref stopped it?

The ref stopped it.

Fair play to Tyson, good finish- but against a ridiculously overmatched opponent hand picked to make him look good.

The way the ESPN commentators were going on you'd think Ali had been resurrected haha.

edit- here you go @Kid in the Riot

Edited by Stortz

2 minutes ago, B1ackbird said:

Anyone watching the next gen card at York Hall? 

Looks like some good fights on the cards... 

Evening Bird!

Yes, cocked and loaded to Sky Sports Action!

Sinclair Cox should be good, and let's see if Conor is capable of learning.

• Like 1

Usyk made mandatory for the winner of the Ruiz/Joshua rematch.

Now I won’t claim to know a lot about boxing. I just enjoy it for what it is and offer an opinion on it. I also really grew fond on Usyk during the build up to the Bellew fight and have been looking forward to his debut in the heavyweight division.

But please could someone explain to me how someone who have never had a fight at heavyweight become the mandatory challenger for world titles?

7 minutes ago, formerly known as ivan said:

Usyk made mandatory for the winner of the Ruiz/Joshua rematch.

Now I won’t claim to know a lot about boxing. I just enjoy it for what it is and offer an opinion on it. I also really grew fond on Usyk during the build up to the Bellew fight and have been looking forward to his debut in the heavyweight division.

But please could someone explain to me how someone who have never had a fight at heavyweight become the mandatory challenger for world titles?

It's simply because Usyk was the undisputed Cruiserwight title holder. The WBO seem to think that justifies him as mandatory HW challenger somehow, ignoring all of their own rankings.

The WBO don't like the thought of Haymon tying up all the belts in the states and see how they can make a shitload of money from Matchroom and others in the near future by keeping theirs seperate imo.

Just standard murky boxing alphabet soup politics.

11 hours ago, Stortz said:

It's simply because Usyk was the undisputed Cruiserwight title holder. The WBO seem to think that justifies him as mandatory HW challenger somehow, ignoring all of their own rankings.

The WBO don't like the thought of Haymon tying up all the belts in the states and see how they can make a shitload of money from Matchroom and others in the near future by keeping theirs seperate imo.

Just standard murky boxing alphabet soup politics.

do you think Usyk would beat AJ or Ruiz?

This weekend saw former IBF champ Paulie Malignaggi take on MacGregor's sparring partner Artem Lobov in Bare Knuckle boxing. A scrap that's been hyped over social media with lots of bad blood etc. especially given Malignaggi's history with Conor's team pre-Mayweather 2017.

For those who watched, it wasn't a great fight. Malignaggi treated it like a point scoring contest, which clearly it wasn't. The judges awarded Lobov the decision following clumsy but sustained aggression in rounds 3/4 (Malignaggi claimed he broke his right hand early, hence only jabbing for the last 3 rounds).

At times Malignaggi showed signs of his former glory; lightening jabs, good movement etc. But ultimately he gassed, looked slow and lacked head movement (the guy is approaching 40). Lobov didn't look great either, often hitting thin air but managed to connect later as Paulie tired and stopped throwing.

I think this will be an end to the Paulie v Conor feud, Malignaggi must know his chances of chasing the big payday against Conor in a boxing match now all but over.

44 minutes ago, Undy English said:

This weekend saw former IBF champ Paulie Malignaggi take on MacGregor's sparring partner Artem Lobov in Bare Knuckle boxing. A scrap that's been hyped over social media with lots of bad blood etc. especially given Malignaggi's history with Conor's team pre-Mayweather 2017.

For those who watched, it wasn't a great fight. Malignaggi treated it like a point scoring contest, which clearly it wasn't. The judges awarded Lobov the decision following clumsy but sustained aggression in rounds 3/4 (Malignaggi claimed he broke his right hand early, hence only jabbing for the last 3 rounds).

At times Malignaggi showed signs of his former glory; lightening jabs, good movement etc. But ultimately he gassed, looked slow and lacked head movement (the guy is approaching 40). Lobov didn't look great either, often hitting thin air but managed to connect later as Paulie tired and stopped throwing.

I think this will be an end to the Paulie v Conor feud, Malignaggi must know his chances of chasing the big payday against Conor in a boxing match now all but over.

Shit fight. Paulie should have dealt with a failed mma figher with ease. Disappointing.