IGNORED

The Boxing Thread

joe jordans teeth

11 hours ago, Stortz said:

The only explanatiion is that Frank Warren is some sort of money laundering cypher for Albanian gangsters.

I don't understand how he makes any money now, excluding Tyson.

To be fair, he found a good opponent for Adams and that deserves a rematch. The mighty mullet vs the Irishman was a well-matched, if scrappy, contest, and whilst the headline fight was a pushover, Ol' Fish Eyes has been teeing up the belts for Dubois very nicely. Add to that the organ music...

Dubois has now picked up the English, British, Commonwealth and WBO International whilst being given plenty of starter fights to ease him in. Gorman was a genuine test and you'd expect a few more of those now. 

Warren has driven me mad with his over-protective match-making with past fighters, but with Fury, Dubois and Yarde he's done a good job.

By the way, I think Sam Noakes looked technically sound in the under card, and I'll keep an eye on him.

17 minutes ago, TomF said:

He's done it to so many fighters.  Remember Hatton broke free and then finally got the world level fights he deserved. Same a bit with Joe Calz too. 

Definitely with those two, and Khan too I seem to recall?

But Dubois I'm okay with so far. Gorman was a test and there are a few obvious domestic and overseas learning fights still to be had.

In this age of fast-tracking I think a 22 year old heavyweight should be eased in. Plus, why rush to top level when the top fighters are so dangerous? If he times it right, he'll be ready to inherit their crowns just as father time starts to catch up in them.

1 hour ago, mozo said:

To be fair, he found a good opponent for Adams and that deserves a rematch. The mighty mullet vs the Irishman was a well-matched, if scrappy, contest, and whilst the headline fight was a pushover, Ol' Fish Eyes has been teeing up the belts for Dubois very nicely. Add to that the organ music...

Dubois has now picked up the English, British, Commonwealth and WBO International whilst being given plenty of starter fights to ease him in. Gorman was a genuine test and you'd expect a few more of those now. 

Warren has driven me mad with his over-protective match-making with past fighters, but with Fury, Dubois and Yarde he's done a good job.

By the way, I think Sam Noakes looked technically sound in the under card, and I'll keep an eye on him.

I'm going to have to disagree with you here mate. Yarde's matchmaking has been an atrocity, Dubois (Gorman aside) has been fed a procession of taxi drivers, waiters and Deliveroo gonks and every fight Fury has been in since he signed for him, other than WIlder obviously, has been a stinking pile of crap.

• Like 1

8 hours ago, Stortz said:

I'm going to have to disagree with you here mate. Yarde's matchmaking has been an atrocity, Dubois (Gorman aside) has been fed a procession of taxi drivers, waiters and Deliveroo gonks and every fight Fury has been in since he signed for him, other than WIlder obviously, has been a stinking pile of crap.

You're always welcome to disagree buddy, and I always value your opinion on all boxing matters.

I think if Dubois winds up winning the European belt, then moves on to top 20 opponents, he'll be happy with his progress. 

Fury is satisfying his big money contract, and if he gets that rematch with Wilder, he'll be on track for greatness. The Wallin fight was good entertainment too.

Yarde admittedly was served up some obscurity, albeit with winning records, but he/we got a humdinger with Kov.

15 minutes ago, wayne allisons tongues said:

Why isn’t the boxing on channel 5. Is it somewhere else?

Apparently Francisco Fonseca was taken Ill tonight, rumours that potentially he collapsed.

Not gonna stay up for Spence/Porter but got it on record to watch first thing in the morning. Looking forward to this one. Spence is a bit special.

Wow, that was an complete barnstormer of a fight. Porter is one tough, tough guy but Spence Jnr's quality just won out. Absolute peach of a punch in the 11th.

14 hours ago, mozo said:

You're always welcome to disagree buddy, and I always value your opinion on all boxing matters.

I think if Dubois winds up winning the European belt, then moves on to top 20 opponents, he'll be happy with his progress. 

Fury is satisfying his big money contract, and if he gets that rematch with Wilder, he'll be on track for greatness. The Wallin fight was good entertainment too.

Yarde admittedly was served up some obscurity, albeit with winning records, but he/we got a humdinger with Kov.

I see what you're saying about Dubois mate, but my worry is that when he goes up in quality the size of the step will be a bit of a shock for him- like it was when Yarde finally did (totally agree that that was a good fight though!).

With respect to Wallin, I think we can thank Tyson's eye skin for what fun that became rather than Frank's matchmaking tbh. Frank thought he was serving him another Schwarz!

The ESPN contract does make the matchmaking semi understandable in Fury's case though, I agree- but that doesn't excuse Seferi and Pianeta prior to that haha.

Edited by Stortz
  • Like 1

Wow, what a fantastic fight. Just incredible levels of heart.

A bit sad to see Gennadiy's decline though, it's apparent time has caught up with him. He's far too easy to hit and I'm not at all convinced by his corner.

Derevyanchenko put in an incredible, gutsy effort, fair play to him.

Edited by Stortz
  • Like 1