IGNORED

The Boxing Thread

joe jordans teeth

News breaking that Patrick Day has sadly passed away a short while ago. Very sad to hear.

This is bound to raise the same debates from in the past around the safety of the sport surely?

I’m not into MMA but did watch a bit of it on channel 5 Saturday night. Can’t get my head around a sport where you knock a guy down and your first reaction is to jump on top and continue to hit them until the ref steps in, yet I haven’t heard of anyone dying in this sport?

25 minutes ago, formerly known as ivan said:

News breaking that Patrick Day has sadly passed away a short while ago. Very sad to hear.

This is bound to raise the same debates from in the past around the safety of the sport surely?

I’m not into MMA but did watch a bit of it on channel 5 Saturday night. Can’t get my head around a sport where you knock a guy down and your first reaction is to jump on top and continue to hit them until the ref steps in, yet I haven’t heard of anyone dying in this sport?

Sad news and devastating for Charles Conwell too.

The difference is that in MMA people are generally very clearly unable to continue either by strikes or submission and the refs get in very quickly, whereas in boxing someone can take a real multi round hiding- even be on the deck and unconcious for 9 seconds like Tyson was v Wilder- but then still get back up and carry on fighting.

No matter how brutal MMA finishes may seem, they are far shorter in duration and with far less trauma to the brain than a susatined shellacking in boxing imo.

Edited by Stortz
  • Like 1

7 hours ago, Stortz said:

Sad news and devastating for Charles Conwell too.

The difference is that in MMA people are generally very clearly unable to continue either by strikes or submission and the refs get in very quickly, whereas in boxing someone can take a real multi round hiding- even be on the deck and unconcious for 9 seconds like Tyson was v Wilder- but then still get back up and carry on fighting.

No matter how brutal MMA finishes may seem, they are far shorter in duration and with far less trauma to the brain than a susatined shellacking in boxing imo.

Never thought about it in that way before!

11 hours ago, formerly known as ivan said:

Never thought about it in that way before!

And the glove weights, the force you can hit with with boxing gloves on compared to the glove in MMA ensure the headshots although a little more padded are hitting a with much greater force.

For me I think boxing should go back to bare knuckle, the damage to the skin will be far worse, but good luck smashing someone in the skull with a a bare hand,  the powerful trauma caused by gloves won't be there, the spark out when caught sweetly on the chin will still happen.

Edited by TRL

Do Americans not treat drink driving with the scorn we do over here? I've seen a lot of people defending the actions of the individual who crashed his sports car last week. 

I've seen people write "Have you never done anything wrong?", "These things happen". 

I see he's come out glorifying what's happened. Truly pathetic. I'm glad he's miraculously survived, relatively intacted, but what an incredibly selfish attitude.  Thank God nobody else was hurt. 

On 16/10/2019 at 23:24, formerly known as ivan said:

Thing is boxing is mainly punching to the head

In MMA the attacks are more varied and blows to the head are far less common.

10 hours ago, ChubStixx said:

Do Americans not treat drink driving with the scorn we do over here? I've seen a lot of people defending the actions of the individual who crashed his sports car last week. 

I've seen people write "Have you never done anything wrong?", "These things happen". 

I see he's come out glorifying what's happened. Truly pathetic. I'm glad he's miraculously survived, relatively intacted, but what an incredibly selfish attitude.  Thank God nobody else was hurt. 

No the yanks definitely hate drink driving as well,it’s all to do with who done it when it comes to boxing fans and Spence always comes across half decent,had it been Broner that done it the same people would want him locked up for life without parole 

• Like 2

I am giddy with excitement for Prograis Taylor tomorrow night. How often to we see a genuinely 50/50 fight between 2 undefeated World Champions? I'm even going to pay for the box office!

It's virtually impossible to pick between them, but I slightly lean towards Taylor. He's the better boxer, had an excellent amatuer career and has probably been in with superior fighters than Prograis as a pro. If he can control the distance like he did against Baranchyk in the semi, he'll have a great chance.

Prograis will be looking to fight as much as possible on the inside, using his superior strength to try and upset Taylor's rythm and bully him. He'll have noted that Taylor is susceptible to cuts and the ref might have his hands full with heads going in. Prograis is also able to box intelligently at range, but I'd imagine Taylor's reach and height advantage will encourage the former to nullify his opponent's assets by stepping inside.

The bookies are favouring Prograis but there have been rumours about him struggling to make the weight, it'll be interesting to see how he looks on the scales in a half an hour or so (yes I'm sad enough to watch the weigh in live while 'working from home'!).

Chisora Price will be dumb but fun while it lasts too.

edit- Prograis had to go butt naked to make weight, maybe there was something in the rumours.

Edited by Stortz

Same as you both. First event I've looked forward to properly this year. Should be a cracker. Thought Josh looked a bit uneasy at the weigh in, a bit nervous maybe and bloodshot eyes. Lost his cool a bit with Prograis.  Maybe the magnitude of the fight finally dawning on him and hopefully after some food he'll be spot on for tomorrow night. 

Selby v Burns would have been a barnstormer in its day. What we expecting there?

2 hours ago, B1ackbird said:

Me too Stortz (buying it tomorrow) 

I just think Taylor does everything that little bit better than Prograis, but should be a cracker with Taylor winning after the 8th.

I think it'll go to points tbh mate, with a contentious, bitterly contested split decision one way or the other! Hope you're well

13 minutes ago, Kid in the Riot said:

Same as you both. First event I've looked forward to properly this year. Should be a cracker. Thought Josh looked a bit uneasy at the weigh in, a bit nervous maybe and bloodshot eyes. Lost his cool a bit with Prograis.  Maybe the magnitude of the fight finally dawning on him and hopefully after some food he'll be spot on for tomorrow night. 

Selby v Burns would have been a barnstormer in its day. What we expecting there?

It's a bit of a concern isn't it, he needs to keep his boxing together and not let emotions get too involved. I don't think Prograis has done too much wrong really, beyond giving it the big 'un a bit- but doesn't virtually every yank boxer. Taylor appears to detest him, I guess they don't take to flashy in Prestonpans!

It seems nailed on to be a FOTY contender.

I reckon Selby Burns will be better now than it would have been a few years ago tbh! Selby looked to have developed a meaner streak in his bloody, gruesome fight with Omar Douglas on the Joyce Stiverne undercard back in February. It's shit or bust for both of them too and they are gutsy fighters.

• Like 1

33 minutes ago, Stortz said:

I think it'll go to points tbh mate, with a contentious, bitterly contested split decision one way or the other! Hope you're well

It's a bit of a concern isn't it, he needs to keep his boxing together and not let emotions get too involved. I don't think Prograis has done too much wrong really, beyond giving it the big 'un a bit- but doesn't virtually every yank boxer. Taylor appears to detest him, I guess they don't take to flashy in Prestonpans!

I reckon Selby Burns will be better now than it would have been a few years ago tbh! Selby looked to have developed a meaner streak in his bloody, gruesome fight with Omar Douglas on the Joyce Stiverne undercard back in February. It's shit or bust for both of them too and they are gutsy fighters.

Yep I’m buying it it as well,was thinking of finding links but it’s hit and miss so I’m paying,who wants to miss Price wobbling Chisora first round before being cleaned out 2nd round and I think Taylor has got the lot but obviously hardest fight of his career to date 

2 hours ago, Stortz said:

That's good to hear, all in all a cracking night's boxing in store then. Surely Price v Chisora will be a minimum of three knockdowns between them!