IGNORED

The Boxing Thread

joe jordans teeth

9 minutes ago, BanburyRed said:

Just watched the fight, I'm no boxing expert but Tyson just took control from minute one and Wilder didn't know what to do, no footwork, nothing than trying to land the big right hand which Tyson restricted him to virtually none by constantly coming forward.  Not entirely sure how Wilder became a champion based on that showing?  Surely AJ would pick Wilder apart?

I think Fury was just too good last night. AJ vs Wilder is quite interesting because AJ isn't the slick boxer Tyson is. I'd favour AJ against Wilder.. definitely after last night.. but Wilder is so explosive, powerful and unpredictable. Tyson Fury just had a perfect game plan which he executed brilliantly. 

• Like 1

38 minutes ago, BanburyRed said:

Just watched the fight, I'm no boxing expert but Tyson just took control from minute one and Wilder didn't know what to do, no footwork, nothing than trying to land the big right hand which Tyson restricted him to virtually none by constantly coming forward.  Not entirely sure how Wilder became a champion based on that showing?  Surely AJ would pick Wilder apart?

AJ gets hit a fair bit.  Wilder hits a lot harder than Ruiz, Klitschko, Povetkin or Takam did.

Does he have the discipline to fight from distance like he did against Ruiz the second time?  Not for 12 rounds IMO, especially since he doesn't really have a reach advantage.

Can he dominate Wilder on the front foot like Fury?  I expect he will get hit too much to do that.  AJ is a better boxer than Wilder but nowhere as as good at movement as Fury.

I think AJ vs Wilder just comes down to who connects first.  Be fun to watch.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Easy to say in hindsight, but perhaps that test against Wallin was the best thing that could have happened to Fury. 

Despite the injury he was relatively comfortable in that fight, but showed to him that he needed to be heavier and perhaps have a bit more experience in his team. Although he's done a great job getting him in shape, I think given his age and experience it probably was a bit difficult for Fury to truly listen to Davison's advice. Whether subconsciously or not. 

He clearly has a lot of respect for the Steward family and the Kronk gym. He's referenced it so many times in his career. Add to that Andy Lee being part of the setup. I can see why he changed it up. Was completely vindicated in the end - showed he needs to fight at a higher weight (although in truth he was closer to 19.2 than 19.7), alter his style and make adjustments. 

1 hour ago, Phileas Fogg said:

Easy to say in hindsight, but perhaps that test against Wallin was the best thing that could have happened to Fury. 

Despite the injury he was relatively comfortable in that fight, but showed to him that he needed to be heavier and perhaps have a bit more experience in his team. Although he's done a great job getting him in shape, I think given his age and experience it probably was a bit difficult for Fury to truly listen to Davison's advice. Whether subconsciously or not. 

He clearly has a lot of respect for the Steward family and the Kronk gym. He's referenced it so many times in his career. Add to that Andy Lee being part of the setup. I can see why he changed it up. Was completely vindicated in the end - showed he needs to fight at a higher weight (although in truth he was closer to 19.2 than 19.7), alter his style and make adjustments. 

Interestingly, Sugar Hill Steward said that putting some weight on and going after Wilder was all Fury's plan. 

Incredible performance from Fury. Never thought he could do that.

Being that effective on the front foot, is something i've not seen him do, to a world class opponent.

Against Cunningham he abondoned the back foot strategy. But Cunningham was a cruiserweight and there wasnt much skill involved.

Against wilder, there was a fantastic mix of skill and brutality.

Battered him

7 hours ago, BanburyRed said:

Wilder blaming his poor showing on the costume he wore to the ring celebrating Black History Month. And not at all happy with his corner throwing in the towel either.

That must rank alongside David Haye's toe as a crappiest excuse there's been. He could have said his hand got hurt or there was sickness in the camp in the lead up to the fight. 

I don't think Wilder could turn the third fight down financially, which is a shame as a summer fight with AJ would be fantastic, even though it would probably be in the States due to Furys TV contract. 

9 hours ago, BanburyRed said:

Wilder blaming his poor showing on the costume he wore to the ring celebrating Black History Month. And not at all happy with his corner throwing in the towel either.

That explains it then and there was stupid me thinking it was because Fury was continuously smacking him in the chops 

• Like 1

18 minutes ago, TomF said:

Yep. Dare I say it AJ took the Ruiz loss far better - ok he did throw an excuse out but not till after he’d won the rematch. 

Thats the way to do it. His comments have credibilty because he's put it right in the rematch

22 hours ago, TomF said:

Yep. Dare I say it AJ took the Ruiz loss far better - ok he did throw an excuse out but not till after he’d won the rematch. 

I think one difference is that AJ is a huge brand and would have PR advice about how to handle a loss to preserve his image. 

I'm not convinced the rematch happens, Wilder sounds deluded and I think possibly concussed. He hasn't said anything publicly and seems to have gone into hiding. Very out of character. He's probably not thinking straight - the costume excuse is genuinely unbelievable.

Anyone know of any shows coming up in Bristol worth going to? Try to make it to 2 or 3 of the bigger shows a year across the UK, but haven't heard of any hearn or warren shows in this area. 

I used to sell tickets for a local promoter in liverpool in return for free ring side tickets for me and my pals so happy to attend small hall shows too.

Not been in the city long, and dont box any more so dont hear about local shows through gyms. 

Any advise? I dont even know what venues may host events? 

12 minutes ago, TomF said:

It’s only really Chris S doing events - some at Whitchurch and the odd one in Dolman. Crying out for that Basketball arena at AG to get a few bigger fights - mind you we need some more local boxers to step up too! 

Ah that's a shame. Would be class if they started doing some of the smaller matchroom shows here when the arena is complete. I'll keep an eye out for Dolman shows, cheers.

Recall seeing MTK taking a show to Bournemouth so no reason why couldn't do one in Bristol. 

29 minutes ago, TomF said:

AJ v Pulev confirmed. No real surprises with Wilder activating his rematch clause. 

https://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/boxing/51705419

Guess it’s whether or not Usyk stands aside assuming nothing Fury and AJ win for the one we all wanna see 

You'd assume it'd be a straightforward fight for AJ. Apparently it might go to purse bids with Top Rank looking to hold it in the US.

5 hours ago, Phileas Fogg said:

You'd assume it'd be a straightforward fight for AJ. Apparently it might go to purse bids with Top Rank looking to hold it in the US.

Eh? AJ Pulev? It's at Spurs as the article states? No way could Top Rank win a purse bid for that- they've just had their fingers burned a bit from Wilder Fury too apparently, around 150k US buys short of break even.

18 minutes ago, JonDolman said:

I think he could do with this fight to try and get his confidence back.

Fury fans been pretty unbearable on Twitter since Wilder fight.

Saying how boring, how AJ is ducking Fury etc. People don't seem to understand what mandatory means!

I don't think there's anything up with Joshua's confidence mate!

And how can he be ducking Fury? Wilder has invoked his contractually mandated rematch, it's sod all to do with AJ. I don't think there's any doubt both Joshua and Tyson would take the fight at 50/50 in a heartbeat.

Not aimed at you obviously, but I don't really get these people on social media having to be a fan of one or the other of them to the howling detriment of the other. I like both of them, they're British boxers. It's not a football match ffs.

• Like 2

11 hours ago, TomF said:

I agree it’s getting silly - I like both. It almost feels like it’s an anti matchroom and maybe north v south thing? 

If you wanted to compare previous fights personally I’d say AJ certainly has fought better fighters consistently since the likes of Whyte. No doubting personally that Fury is the better fighter - I think - but AJ would take it to Fury and not sure he’s ever had to deal with that so would be a fascinating scrap. Can’t wait for it to finally happen assuming they both get through next fights. Assume Usyk will stand aside with offer of fighting the eventual winner - Christ that would be a tasty one too. 

I know it’s unlikely but what if Wilder beats Fury? Do we end up with another fight between these two? 

I guess the one certainty is that Whyte’s opportunity of a title fight has gone, as will be two years before he fights either AJ or Fury 

10 minutes ago, TomF said:

Battle of the tainted meat looks set - Canello v BJS in May. 

Has this been announced now Tom?

I knew Fishnets wouldn't want a bar of Mundo for his cash cow. Presumably Callum will now fight Danny Jacobs then. Saunders has a chance if he can repeat the sort of performance we saw v Lemieux but I don't know if he has enough power to bother Canelo.

I'm quite looking forward to Quigg v Carroll tomorrow, should be dumb but fun.

5 hours ago, Stortz said:

Has this been announced now Tom?

I knew Fishnets wouldn't want a bar of Mundo for his cash cow. Presumably Callum will now fight Danny Jacobs then. Saunders has a chance if he can repeat the sort of performance we saw v Lemieux but I don't know if he has enough power to bother Canelo.

I'm quite looking forward to Quigg v Carroll tomorrow, should be dumb but fun.

Have a feeling that’s the exact sort of performance you’ll get from BJS in this fight. Strikes me as a boxer who can only truly get up for the big ones. 

An awkward southpaw just like Lara was for Canelo some years ago. 

8 hours ago, Carey 6 said:

Have a feeling that’s the exact sort of performance you’ll get from BJS in this fight. Strikes me as a boxer who can only truly get up for the big ones. 

An awkward southpaw just like Lara was for Canelo some years ago. 

I hope so mate.

On his day Billy Joe is a fantastic boxer for sure, but I can't see him being able to knock Canelo out; and let's face it, he isn't getting a decision over Vegas's biggest cash generator on Cinco de Mayo weekend no matter how the fight goes.

• Like 1