IGNORED

The Boxing Thread

joe jordans teeth

Been watching/rewatching loads of old 90’s heavyweight fights. Watched the two Bowe Golota fights last night, crazy scenes in both but the riot after the first one was insane.

Going for the two Tyson Bruno fights tonight, I remember the second one but don’t think I’ve ever watched the first one.

• Like 1

4 hours ago, TomF said:

Wilder/Fury Part Three ? looks set for Australia on Boxing Day.  I guess that could be around midday start over here.. well not the worst by any stretch. 

Have you written wilder off that much that it’s making you snore? I honestly don’t see it being as easy for fury this time. Wilder hasn’t got a lot of technical skill but he’s got balls and an ego the size of Jupiter. I don’t believe he’ll let himself be dominated to the same extent this time. His career has tended to go through phases of reality checks as a result of which he always comes out better. Plus there’s that freakish power, you can’t write him off. Ever.

Besides from all of that, haven’t people learnt heavyweight boxing is a crazy ******* thing by now? Wouldn’t be surprised to see Fury knocked out cold. 

Edited by Bouncearoundtheground
  • Like 1

On 09/06/2020 at 11:41, TomF said:

I think its just I'd like to see something else rather than a third encounter.  Fury generally schooled him in both and was unlucky not to win the first one.  I can't see him losing a third encounter.  Hopefully if they get this out of the way in Dec we can see AJ v Fury next summer..

Anthony Joshua has reached an agreement with Tyson Fury on a two-fight deal, says promoter Eddie Hearn.

Britain's rival champions have been holding talks over an undisputed world heavyweight title fight and have thrashed out initial terms for two blockbuster battles.

"We're making great progress," Joshua's promoter Eddie Hearn exclusively told Sky Sports News. "There is still a lot to overcome. We are looking at venues and dates.

4 hours ago, Kid in the Riot said:

In his video Tyson Fury thanks Daniel Kinahan for making the fight happen. Kinahan is an Irish mob boss, more here: https://www.irishtimes.com/news/crime-and-law/daniel-kinahan-a-different-story-on-the-global-stage-1.4260283 

Thanks for sharing, I hadn't heard of him.

Is Wilder sure he wants to piss off the Irish mafia?!

Great news that this has been agreed though.

I wonder if it settled on 55/45 AJ then the same to the winner of fight 1 for the rematch. They're all getting rich one way or another.

11 hours ago, TomF said:

To be fair I’d say 50/50 would be fair. Tyson has Ring and WBC,  AJ WBO, WBA, IBF  - I’d say almost levels out - the green belt probably still most prestigious out of the 4 belts ?

You're probably right, but I doubt Eddie Hearn would accept that!

On 10/06/2020 at 20:44, mozo said:

Thanks for sharing, I hadn't heard of him.

Is Wilder sure he wants to piss off the Irish mafia?!

Great news that this has been agreed though.

I wonder if it settled on 55/45 AJ then the same to the winner of fight 1 for the rematch. They're all getting rich one way or another.

It's reportedly 50/50 for first fight, 60/40 (in winners favour) for second fight. Seems completely fair to me, well done all round.

All the politics and split stuff ruins good fights getting made.

50 minutes ago, Phileas Fogg said:

It's reportedly 50/50 for first fight, 60/40 (in winners favour) for second fight. Seems completely fair to me, well done all round.

All the politics and split stuff ruins good fights getting made.

Wow, they really are being sensible about this. Where did you see that reported?

4 hours ago, mozo said:

Wow, they really are being sensible about this. Where did you see that reported?

Can't remember where but it was from somewhere reliable. Great news if true.

4 hours ago, TomF said:

Wonder where Usyk fits in here - obviously being under Matchroom I expect it’s easy to get him to step aside - assuming AJ beats Pulev. However if he’s lined up as first challenger after these two potential fights then it’s another kick in the teeth for Whyte 

It's tough on Whyte but I think the reality is that Matchroom probably know that Whyte is a couple of levels below the likes of Fury/Joshua/Usyk and are fairly confident he'd lose in a big fight for a title. Also he's not a huge draw financially so there's little incentive to put much effort into him.

He makes a good fighter to headline their lower tier cards though in the 02 arena. 

7 hours ago, Phileas Fogg said:

Can't remember where but it was from somewhere reliable. Great news if true.

It's tough on Whyte but I think the reality is that Matchroom probably know that Whyte is a couple of levels below the likes of Fury/Joshua/Usyk and are fairly confident he'd lose in a big fight for a title. Also he's not a huge draw financially so there's little incentive to put much effort into him.

He makes a good fighter to headline their lower tier cards though in the 02 arena. 

I searched and looks like it was reported in The Scum newspaper, but they may have got it from somewhere reliable.

My guess was only 5% off, if that's true!

As you say, tough on Whyte, but also all of those sub elite heavyweights that are trying to stay patient. 

Fury and Joshua have to win their next fights, which isn't guaranteed, but if they do, they'll have tied up all the belts for the whole of 2021. 

Whyte could be approaching 34 years old before he gets a chance. 

Daniel Dubois, however, would be 24 and much more qualified to compete for the crown.

• Like 1

42 minutes ago, formerly known as ivan said:

Still think Whyte should get a title shot before Fury/AJ meet.

Whyte continues to get constantly screwed over. It’s an embarrassment he’s never had his moment.

If Fury gets through Wilder unscathed, why not Wilder v Whyte? At least he could get a good payday at MSG or Vegas. If the titles are tied up, Whyte needs a big name in the opposite corner.

4 hours ago, mozo said:

If Fury gets through Wilder unscathed, why not Wilder v Whyte? At least he could get a good payday at MSG or Vegas. If the titles are tied up, Whyte needs a big name in the opposite corner.

High risks for Whyte. If he lost that fight he may never get a title shot. Thing with Whyte though, he has proven he is willing to take the big fights with high risk attached.

• Like 1

5 hours ago, formerly known as ivan said:

High risks for Whyte. If he lost that fight he may never get a title shot. Thing with Whyte though, he has proven he is willing to take the big fights with high risk attached.

Yeah I genuinely think he'll fight anyone. At his age, making a retirement fund becomes top priority. If he can make a few million by fighting Wilder and Dubois, say, he might be angry about the lack of world title opportunities, but at least he'll be a very wealthy man. He'll probably then get his chance in the twilight of his career when he doesn't quite have the same potency.

• Like 2

2 hours ago, formerly known as ivan said:

Whyte has started legal action against the WBC in order to get his title shot.

We all want to see the Fury/AJ fight but fair play to Whyte, whose been ignored and overlooked for far to long.

Yeah Fury might be in peak condition nowadays, but he can't fight Wilder, Whyte and Joshua twice in a 12 month period. Something's got to give... 

Sounds like the WBC might undermine Whyte's cause anyway. They can use Covid to reset title deadlines.

• Like 1

Wondering if anyone can recommend some books to buy or tv shows to watch. I have become slightly obsessed in trying to find out more about the old Georgian era bare knuckle pugilists from Bristol, it all started because of a chilhood memory flashback of a friend of my Dad's claiming to be descended from John Gully ( that was his name also, have been looking up his family tree on Ancestry and turned out he wasn't bulling), there were a few all time greats from Bristol and would love to know if anyone has information on other characters connected to Bristol too. Sorry for the long post

16 hours ago, Med/MadHatter said:

Wondering if anyone can recommend some books to buy or tv shows to watch. I have become slightly obsessed in trying to find out more about the old Georgian era bare knuckle pugilists from Bristol, it all started because of a chilhood memory flashback of a friend of my Dad's claiming to be descended from John Gully ( that was his name also, have been looking up his family tree on Ancestry and turned out he wasn't bulling), there were a few all time greats from Bristol and would love to know if anyone has information on other characters connected to Bristol too. Sorry for the long post

Hi mate, the only book I've read about the old bear-knuckle days was Tom Spring - Bareknuckle Champion of All England who was a Hereford fighter and a pupil of Thomas Cribb.

It's worth a read if you want to learn about fighting in those days. Cribb is the big name in terms of Bristolian champions, but I don't know if he has a biography.

You should be able to find books about the history of bare knuckle fighting in general. Looks like Bare Fists is on Amazon.

But more detail on Bristol fighters, I'm not sure. Let us know what you find out though.

• Like 1

21 hours ago, Super said:

Whyte won't trouble Wilder Fury or AJ. He's a level below.

Exactly and he's not anywhere near the commercial draw. Strictly speaking he deserves a shot, but broadcasters would much rather put on AJ vs Fury. I think the majority of the public would rather watch that by far too. AJ and Fury are household names, Whyte hasn't got that profile. 

The AJ vs Fury fight has to happen in the UK though. The British public need a lift after this year, would be a travesty if it doesn't happen at Wembley. Would be such a shame if it happens in Saudi Arabia or somewhere. 

• Like 1

29 minutes ago, Phileas Fogg said:

Exactly and he's not anywhere near the commercial draw. Strictly speaking he deserves a shot, but broadcasters would much rather put on AJ vs Fury. I think the majority of the public would rather watch that by far too. AJ and Fury are household names, Whyte hasn't got that profile. 

The AJ vs Fury fight has to happen in the UK though. The British public need a lift after this year, would be a travesty if it doesn't happen at Wembley. Would be such a shame if it happens in Saudi Arabia or somewhere. 

Well given the Irish gangster that brokered the deal is based in Dubai, I think I know what to expect...

14 hours ago, mozo said:

Hi mate, the only book I've read about the old bear-knuckle days was Tom Spring - Bareknuckle Champion of All England who was a Hereford fighter and a pupil of Thomas Cribb.

It's worth a read if you want to learn about fighting in those days. Cribb is the big name in terms of Bristolian champions, but I don't know if he has a biography.

You should be able to find books about the history of bare knuckle fighting in general. Looks like Bare Fists is on Amazon.

But more detail on Bristol fighters, I'm not sure. Let us know what you find out though.

Tom Cribb as you say born in Wick, John Gully as I mentioned before, and a few more notables are Henry "Hen/ the game chicken" Pearce, friend of Gully, James/ Jem Belcher, grandson of Jack Slack who defeated Jack Broughton, a man who moved to Bristol from Cirencester aged 12 to work in the docks and learned to box there.  Tom Belcher, Jems brother, who won a fair few of his fights but was a great trainer of boxers . All except Tom became English champions, Bristol had quite a good standing in Georgian pugilist history 

7 hours ago, Med/MadHatter said:

Tom Cribb as you say born in Wick, John Gully as I mentioned before, and a few more notables are Henry "Hen/ the game chicken" Pearce, friend of Gully, James/ Jem Belcher, grandson of Jack Slack who defeated Jack Broughton, a man who moved to Bristol from Cirencester aged 12 to work in the docks and learned to box there.  Tom Belcher, Jems brother, who won a fair few of his fights but was a great trainer of boxers . All except Tom became English champions, Bristol had quite a good standing in Georgian pugilist history 

Hopefully you can find some good content on it.

It's a shame that fighting tradition didn't ever manifest in the modern boxing era. I know we had some success with Hale, Catley, Francis and Couch, but really Haskins is about as big time as our boxing gets, which compared to Manchester, Liverpool, Birmingham and Sheffield really isn't a lot.

• Like 1

22 hours ago, mozo said:

Well given the Irish gangster that brokered the deal is based in Dubai, I think I know what to expect...

Yep wouldn't be surprised at all. I think there'll be immense pressure from the media and possibly Government for the promotional outfits to make the fight in the UK though. The Government know the public will need a lift when this is all over and they'll want people out spending money again. I don't think it's cut and dry that it'll happen overseas because of this.

Edited by Phileas Fogg