IGNORED

The Boxing Thread

joe jordans teeth

8 hours ago, 2015 said:

Fury vs Joshua would be fantastic for UK. I would like a Fury win, but I think it'd be a close call to call who would be the winner.

I cant see this happening until later next year when they can get a full crowd into Wembley.

On 13/12/2020 at 12:34, JonDolman said:

Those shots where Pulev was stood there right in front of AJ, surely that will not happen with Fury. Fury in good condition has unbelievable stamina for someone so big and will move for 12 rounds. But then again I expect AJ will be able to catch Fury a fair bit, but just not sure he'd KO Fury. He's got one hell of a chin. Of course anything is possible in heavyweight division and Fury can switch off at times like in Wilder first fight.

I am interested to see how Fury approaches the fight. Stay at distance like Wilder first fight and go for points victory, or do what he did in Wilder 2? I don't think AJ would struggle in the way Wilder did if Fury goes on the foot looking for KO. In fact that will probably suit him. They realised before that 2nd fight Wilder's technical flaws meant they had to get Wilder on the back foot. Also the messy wrestling up close and leaning shattered Wilder, and not so sure that part of it would work so well against AJ either.

If they are both going into it 100% then I would probably bet Fury on points. I don't think Fury is the hardest hitter, and AJ's chin is nowhere near as bad as some say. AJ has a devastating disguised left hook, right upper cut and straight right. But I imagine he won't be able to land it so often, and when he does Fury might well be seeing the shots and absorbing them.

The only thing with predicting a points victory to Fury is that even if he looks like he has won, will the judging be fair? Well that's certainly not guaranteed!

I imagine if Fury uses his feet and outboxes AJ then AJ might well throw the kitchen sink at him in the final rounds. So even a back foot safety first performance from Fury I think would be a great fight to watch. I just can't see it being anything but a fascinating, entertaining fight this one however they both approach it. It has to happen! 

Love your assessment mate but I do see it differently.

I actually think Fury might try to do what he did in Wilder 2.

The commonality with AJ and Wilder is that power is their most dangerous asset.

So the best tactic for Fury is to get them going backwards so that they don't get as much purchase on their shots. 

If Fury comes in heavy again, he can plant his feet and both sit on his punches and also absorb more when AJ counters. 

Whilst it's clear that in the past few years AJ has worked on his footwork and counter punching, he would have to put in a hell of a performance to win the technical battle with Fury.

I guess the last time Joshua faced a taller man was Klitschko, who was only one inch taller and a fair bit lighter.

This is a new challenge for AJ. He's up against a man 3 inches taller, heavier, and a high class technician.

SugarHill Steward has been quoted as saying that they'll stick to the Kronk style for Joshua, and I take this to mean an aggressive jab and really sitting on the right hand. I think Fury will come forward.

Edited by mozo
  • Like 1

52 minutes ago, TomF said:

Could be an absolute war if they go at it from the off. Fury will almost certain claim more telling shots if it does with his superior defence.  I just hope it gets made.. 

If its a war, AJ will come out on top. Fury needs to keep it a boxing match. If he does he will out-box AJ.

Theres no dount AJ is stronger and more powerful. A war suits him more IMO.

Just now, Riaz said:

If its a war, AJ will come out on top. Fury needs to keep it a boxing match. If he does he will out-box AJ.

Theres no dount AJ is stronger and more powerful. A war suits him more IMO.

Definitely. A slug-fest will give AJ the opportunity to unleash those lethal uppercuts and his left-hand to the body is tasty too. Fury's head movement is very good, but it's not so easy to dodge those body shots AJ was firing into Pulev on Saturday night. 

One thing I think that is swaying me towards an AJ win at the moment is the possibility that we have probably seen the best version of Tyson Fury, but have we seen the best AJ yet? I don't think we have. 

15 minutes ago, Kid in the Riot said:

Definitely. A slug-fest will give AJ the opportunity to unleash those lethal uppercuts and his left-hand to the body is tasty too. Fury's head movement is very good, but it's not so easy to dodge those body shots AJ was firing into Pulev on Saturday night. 

One thing I think that is swaying me towards an AJ win at the moment is the possibility that we have probably seen the best version of Tyson Fury, but have we seen the best AJ yet? I don't think we have. 

AJ is 31. He can improve. But not massively. He'll never have the boxing ability of Tyson Fury.

AJ needs to fight calmly, in short bursts and not get frustrated. Fury needs to make sure he comes in mentally and phsyically strong and then not get into a war.

Thats how i see it anyways. Hopefully the WBO see sense and not strip AJ. Would be amazing for an undisputed fight, to be contested by two british fighters.

Edited by Riaz

57 minutes ago, Riaz said:

Definitely think Fury will outbox AJ.
But I'm a bit doubtful as to how long AJ can sustain a war effort. I reckon Fury will have the edge on stamina, too.
Just hope the fight gets made and goes beyond the halfway mark at least, ideally a 12-round classic.

• Like 1

58 minutes ago, TomF said:

AJ has improved hugely as a 'boxer' since Ruiz. His Jab on Saturday was the best I've seen at it.  He's still got the undercut, that straight right that puts anyone to bed. 

WBO won't want to miss out on this fight, they'll find a way.  I don't really see how Usyk has made it to #1 challenger after two heavyweight fights. His cruiserweight credentials shouldn't count imo, there is such a difference with the power at the world end of HW boxing. 

Eddie is already harping on about it not being in the UK as we all feared.   Does it really need to be made in the Spring? 

I’d love it to be in the UK but I’d love it to be in a full stadium more - we will just have to travel ??

Fury v Joshua wouldn't be a war imo.

More likely a chess match. It would only become all out warfare if one fighter was behind on the cards and had to go for broke.

Think about it... both fighters will be wary of their opponents power.

Fury will try to command the centre of the ring to push Joshua onto the back foot. Meaty jabs to set up the right hand. Kronk style.

Joshua will therefore be counter-punching. Slightly less power in his shots but looking for the openings to throw those nasty flurries he's capable of. 

Neither fighter will go in for the kill early. 

I predict a cagey first 6 rounds with the next 6 depending on what the scorecards look like.

It'll go the distance and the scoring will be disputed!

20 hours ago, mozo said:

Fury v Joshua wouldn't be a war imo.

More likely a chess match. It would only become all out warfare if one fighter was behind on the cards and had to go for broke.

Think about it... both fighters will be wary of their opponents power.

Fury will try to command the centre of the ring to push Joshua onto the back foot. Meaty jabs to set up the right hand. Kronk style.

Joshua will therefore be counter-punching. Slightly less power in his shots but looking for the openings to throw those nasty flurries he's capable of. 

Neither fighter will go in for the kill early. 

I predict a cagey first 6 rounds with the next 6 depending on what the scorecards look like.

It'll go the distance and the scoring will be disputed!

I dont think it will be a war either. If it is, then Fury has let it become one.

28 minutes ago, daored said:

Where is this being shown ? Can’t see anywhere 

Dazn. Currently £1.99 per month.

• Thanks 1

On 15/12/2020 at 13:32, TomF said:

Eddie is already harping on about it not being in the UK as we all feared.   Does it really need to be made in the Spring? 

Of course he is, Joshua hasn't been in a ring yet where he's not the main man that the fans are all behind. 

If it's at Wembley, I think it'll be far more Fury fans in there than AJ ones. Neither AJ or Hearn will want that.

Also, if anyone watched the Matchroom show a couple of months back Ritson v Vazquez you might've seen Rylan Charlton KO the fancied Joe Laws after taking the fight on two weeks notice. 

Impressed me that night and I've seen he's just been signed by Matchroom himself today!

Full Fight here: 

Edited by Carey 6
  • Thanks 1

• Admin

Surely it makes sense to be abroad as there won't be any decent number of fans in attendance if the fight is in the UK.

Difficult to tell who is going to buy the tickets, not alone if there will be more supporting one than the other

Of course what both boxers will want is the rematch clause, that is the fight they will look to hold in the UK at the end of the year

Can't wait for Smith Canelo tomorrow. 

I really hope Smith pulls it off but I can't see it at all, a lot giving him an advantage purely for the height difference but then look what Ryder did to him last year. Still not fully over that result, was a robbery. 

Be good to see BJS fight the winner.

Anyone going to watch the GGG fight tonight? Wonder if both him & Canelo win we'll see a trilogy fight.

5 hours ago, Carey 6 said:

Can't wait for Smith Canelo tomorrow. 

I really hope Smith pulls it off but I can't see it at all, a lot giving him an advantage purely for the height difference but then look what Ryder did to him last year. Still not fully over that result, was a robbery. 

Be good to see BJS fight the winner.

Anyone going to watch the GGG fight tonight? Wonder if both him & Canelo win we'll see a trilogy fight.

I'll definitely be watching mate, £1.99 for GGG, Smith Canelo and Garcia Campbell is an absolute steal.

I was always pretty confident that Mundo would be far too big for Canelo until I saw him ice Kovalev like he did. He seems to be getting better by the fight and a body shot ko in the middle rounds looks most likely. I'd be delighted to be wrong, but Callum will have to put on an absolute clinic to have any chance at all.

I think the ship has sailed on a trilogy fight between Canelo and GGG. Gennady is definitely in decline but what a champion he's been, fantastically entertaining.

Edited by Stortz

Dominant stuff from GGG. His power punches have slowed down a little but his jab remains a thing of beauty and he's still able to ratchet up the pressure with incredible footwork.

Banks is a shite trainer imo but he seems to have got Golovkin moving his head a lot more to offset the slight loss of general speed, so fair play.

Maybe there will be a 3rd fight with Canelo after all, he looked sharper last night than since the first fight between them against a game but plainly limited Szeremeta.

Akhmedov v Gongora on the undercard was a late FOTY contender too, amazing back and forth tear up with 2 devastating uppercuts in the 12th to close the show

Cannot wait for Smith Canelo tonight.

11 hours ago, TomF said:

If Canelo wins tomorrow and sees off GGG again where is going to rank amongst the all timers? 

His resume is stunning, especially when you consider he's still only 30! He could still have another 8/10 years in him. If he carries on beating elite boxers for that time, he'll be talked about with the likes of Sugar Ray Robinson.

Still dislike the cheating bastard greatly though haha.

5 hours ago, Stortz said:

Dominant stuff from GGG. His power punches have slowed down a little but his jab remains a thing of beauty and he's still able to ratchet up the pressure with incredible footwork.

Banks is a shite trainer imo but he seems to have got Golovkin moving his head a lot more to offset the slight loss of general speed, so fair play.

Maybe there will be a 3rd fight with Canelo after all, he looked sharper last night than since the first fight between them against a game but plainly limited Szeremeta.

Akhmedov v Gongora on the undercard was a late FOTY contender too, amazing back and forth tear up with 2 devastating uppercuts in the 12th to close the show

Cannot wait for Smith Canelo tonight.

His resume is stunning, especially when you consider he's still only 30! He could still have another 8/10 years in him. If he carries on beating elite boxers for that time, he'll be talked about with the likes of Sugar Ray Robinson.

Still dislike the cheating bastard greatly though haha.

If there was a 3rd fight then it must be in deepest darkest Kazakhstan to make it fair,even then the governing body would fly in Vegas judges no doubt