IGNORED

The Boxing Thread

joe jordans teeth

14 hours ago, JonDolman said:

Well I still think Saunders will cause Canelo problems. Smith much more basic boxing skills than Saunders.

Canelo is brilliant, but for me whatever he does the first thing I think is PED cheat.

No doubt there's plenty more at it too

I hope your right, the implication being that as some point Saunders will have to take it to Canelo, where Smith was unable/unwilling to do so. 

On 21/12/2020 at 17:04, Owl Visiting said:

What did you think to it @Stortz?

The most impressed I've ever been with a boxer I think, just not sure how much of it was down to Smith making him look amazing. 

Hello mate, hope you're well.

Yes, it was an incredible performance from Canelo. I was really disappointed in Mundo initially, but apparently he ripped his bicep in the third so couldn't do much after that. Tbh though, Canelo already had his number entirely by then anyway.

Canelo is just supremely gifted, both physically and as a boxer. It's very hard to see anyone around who can beat him atm- his biggest problem may be running out of credible opponents. I'm a fan of a switched on Billy Joe, but Canelo will just walk him down and tee off on him imo, he is an absolute freak.

• Like 2

7 hours ago, JonDolman said:

Canelo has a solid chin but BJS has some pop in those shots, so I don't know if Canelo will walk through them, he won't want to do a Hatton/Froch kind of taking clean shots to get his off. I think he will have some respect for BJS power.

But of course Canelo has some quality boxing skills of his own of course.

I actually think BJS could cause him problems. The speed, movement and feints will be Canelo's biggest challenge in terms of boxing skills since Floyd imo.

I thought Canelo clearly lost the first GGG fight, 2nd one a bit closer. GGG is actually not the hardest to hit though as he doesn't move his head.

Having said this my money would be on Canelo, a points decision.

Interesting view on BJS

When i have watched him I think great skill, abit on the dirty side but just a bit short on power to be really world class

8 hours ago, JonDolman said:

Canelo has a solid chin but BJS has some pop in those shots, so I don't know if Canelo will walk through them, he won't want to do a Hatton/Froch kind of taking clean shots to get his off. I think he will have some respect for BJS power.

But of course Canelo has some quality boxing skills of his own of course.

I actually think BJS could cause him problems. The speed, movement and feints will be Canelo's biggest challenge in terms of boxing skills since Floyd imo.

I thought Canelo clearly lost the first GGG fight, 2nd one a bit closer. GGG is actually not the hardest to hit though as he doesn't move his head.

Having said this my money would be on Canelo, a points decision.

That Mayweather fight did wonders for Canelo in retrospect, he learned so much from being in with him. Shows how outright brilliant Floyd was too, a great performance from him, he broke Canelo's heart.

Agree with you on the two GGG Canelo fights, I will never forgive Adalaide Byrd for the first one. As I posted above, Gennady's head movement was noticeably improved in the Szeremeta fight, they've clearly been working on it. I'd give him little chance in a trilogy fight all the same.

I'm with @Maltshoveller on Billy Joe's power, he lacks top class pop and admires his work a bit too. There's absolutely no way he hits as hard as Callum Smith imo.

Would love to see the fight though-as you say, it's not the sort of stylistic match up that Canelo has faced many times.

Edited by Stortz
  • Like 1

29 minutes ago, Stortz said:

That Mayweather fight did wonders for Canelo in retrospect, he learned so much from being in with him. Shows how outright brilliant Floyd was too, a great performance from him, he broke Canelo's heart.

Agree with you on the two GGG Canelo fights, I will never forgive Adalaide Byrd for the first one. As I posted above, Gennady's head movement was noticeably improved in the Szeremeta fight, they've clearly been working on it. I'd give him little chance in a trilogy fight all the same.

I'm with @Maltshoveller on Billy Joe's power, he lacks top class pop and admires his work a bit too. There's absolutely no way he hits as hard as Callum Smith imo.

Would love to see the fight though-as you say, it's not the sort of stylistic match up that Canelo has faced many times.

Would you say that BJS woukd be a little more game than CS was though? 

14 hours ago, Rob k said:

Would you say that BJS woukd be a little more game than CS was though? 

I think Mundo thought he'd be a lot more game too until the bell went!

13 hours ago, JonDolman said:

Good points. 

I think Smith is more powerful, well he didn't look 100% especially by the 3rd round with what happened.

But Smith's shots are easier to read, so in a way maybe easier to absorb, seeing the shots from his high guard.

I can't think how Canelo looks against southpaw either. Is that a factor? I doubt he has too many problems with them, but might be a slight factor.

Yep not exactly world class power, but I think he has power that will be respected by Canelo. Unlike say Khan who has had a very good left body shot on him, but generally even though he was winning before being KO'd, I doubt Canelo really cared too much about being caught.

I don't even like BJS but would love him to win this. I know unlikely but I rate his chances of outboxing Canelo a fair bit. Will never get the decision so very unlikely to win it even if he deserves it.

Yeah, there's no doubt Billy Joe throws shots from far more unorthodox angles than Callum.

Against Southpaws before, Canelo easily iced James Kirkland but had a trickier fight against Austin Trout. He really struggled against Erislandy Lara though of course and a lot of people thought he lost that one. This is the fight that'll give BJS most hope I'd imagine. Jacobs switched between orthodox and southpaw when they fought but Canelo adapted easily enough.

Don't get me wrong, I'd love to see Billy Joe beat him, but, as you note, there's not a chance on Earth he wins on points- even if he actually wins on points- and I see little chance of him knocking Canelo out. That it's still the most interesting fight for him to take next anyway is a measure of Canelo's dominance I guess!

1 hour ago, TomF said:

So Ryan Instagram Garcia v Luke Campbell tonight. Another Eubank Jr or real deal? 

I'm really looking forward to this.

Garcia is such an unlikeable little shit, especially as he's the last great hope for ODLH's gak ravaged empire. The definition of an Instagram fighter in that he's been in with nobodies but carries on like he's Mayweather. That's not to say he's not prodigously talented, especially in handspeed, and he can certainly showboat. I guess we find out tonight how much that translates to the ring when he fights a world class operator.

I think most boxing fans gained new levels of respect for Campbell after the Loma fight. Certainly Vassily himself did, and seems to despise Garcia too:

'Lomachenko told SnowQueenLA: “I personally know Ryan Garcia.  “He used to come to my camp, I have sparred with him.  “He goes around and tells lies.  “After the sparring session, he posted on his Twitter that we went through a ‘war’.

“What he said had nothing to do with reality.  “When he said that, he must have forgotten that I record all of my sparring sessions. I still have the recording.  “If I was all about the hype, I would post it.  “That way, people would see what type of ‘war’ we actually had.  “What actually happened was he kept retreating to the trenches and was terrified to show his face. I think Luke Campbell is going to win.”'

I hope Loma's right, because I would bloody love to see Campbell derail this hype train. Unfortunately Luke' s recent bout of Covid will have done him no favours, but he looks in great shape.

As a bonus for us in the UK, this is on DAZN (still only £1.99 per month if you didn't get it for the pre Christmas fights) from 2000 this evening, so no late night involved!

Edited by Stortz
  • Like 1

12 hours ago, Phileas Fogg said:

Campbell is a good fighter and odds on him winning look very tempting. I can see Garcia getting a controversial split decision as he’ll no doubt have generous scoring. Campbell won’t roll over. 

Mate he won the Rumble on the Humber, how could you bet against him!

Garcia will come out swinging, Luke needs to see that out then old man him to a decision.

• Haha 1

Briton Dillian Whyte will have the chance to get his revenge against Alexander Povetkin as Matchroom Boxing confirmed their rematch for 6 March.

The Russian, 41, produced a stunning knockout win in the fifth-round of their WBC interim title bout in August.

Whyte, 32, was originally set to meet Povetkin for a second time in late November 2020 at Wembley Arena.

However, the fight was postponed after the the veteran Russian tested positive for Covid-19.

Campbell Hatton, 19, son of ex-world champion Ricky Hatton, will make his professional debut on the same card.

Promoters Matchroom also announced that Leeds fighter Josh Warrington will defend his IBF featherweight title against Mexican Mauricio Lara on 13 February. 

Warrington, 30, has not fought since October 2019 when he stopped Sofiane Takoucht in two rounds in the third defence of his belt. He was expected to fight WBA champion Xu Can of China, but that clash is expected to take place later in the year.

Meanwhile, Briton Lawrence Okolie, 28, will face Pole Krzysztof Glowacki for the vacant WBO cruiserweight title on 20 March. The contest was scheduled for last month, but had to be postponed when Glowacki tested positive for Covid-19.

Northampton's Chantelle Cameron, 29, makes the first defence of her WBC super-lightweight world title against Puerto Rico's Melissa Hernandez on the undercard.

1 hour ago, daored said:

Briton Dillian Whyte will have the chance to get his revenge against Alexander Povetkin as Matchroom Boxing confirmed their rematch for 6 March.

The Russian, 41, produced a stunning knockout win in the fifth-round of their WBC interim title bout in August.

Whyte, 32, was originally set to meet Povetkin for a second time in late November 2020 at Wembley Arena.

However, the fight was postponed after the the veteran Russian tested positive for Covid-19.

Campbell Hatton, 19, son of ex-world champion Ricky Hatton, will make his professional debut on the same card.

Promoters Matchroom also announced that Leeds fighter Josh Warrington will defend his IBF featherweight title against Mexican Mauricio Lara on 13 February. 

Warrington, 30, has not fought since October 2019 when he stopped Sofiane Takoucht in two rounds in the third defence of his belt. He was expected to fight WBA champion Xu Can of China, but that clash is expected to take place later in the year.

Meanwhile, Briton Lawrence Okolie, 28, will face Pole Krzysztof Glowacki for the vacant WBO cruiserweight title on 20 March. The contest was scheduled for last month, but had to be postponed when Glowacki tested positive for Covid-19.

Northampton's Chantelle Cameron, 29, makes the first defence of her WBC super-lightweight world title against Puerto Rico's Melissa Hernandez on the undercard.

Wow Eddie, thank you so much for this incredible bounty. Such wonders you have bestowed upon us.

What a bag of shit hahaha.

Hope your little one's doing well @daored