IGNORED

The Boxing Thread

joe jordans teeth

1 hour ago, B1ackbird said:

Evening all. 

Benn tonight, I remember his dad on midweek sports special with Reg and Jim commentating. 

It seems like he used to win before the big ben bells stopped ringing.. 

Evening Bird, hope you're well.

Incredible you're allowed to fight packing as much silicone as Bridges tbh.

1 minute ago, joe jordans teeth said:

Fair shout to them both,would like to see them fight again 

One of the best women's boxing matches I've ever seen. I agree, I'd happily watch it again.

Courtney really impressed me tonight, used her skill to get herself out of trouble really intelligently. She deserved the win.

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, B1ackbird said:

Benn's 'gatekeeper fight' too early? Well see... 

Well he got handed his arse in the first one he had v Peynaud and they had to go back to the drawing board!

I think he has a bit more about him now but he'd be nowhere near this level without his surname, because he wouldn't have been given the chances.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Stortz said:

Well he got handed his arse in the first one he had v Peynaud and they had to go back to the drawing board!

I think he has a bit more about him now but he'd be nowhere near this level without his surname, because he wouldn't have been given the chances.

It can be both a blessing and a penance, bottom line is there's nowhere to hide.. 

14 hours ago, Phileas Fogg said:

Benn has really improved. He's got a good personality too - right mix of humble and brash. 

Broner would be a really good name. I think Josh Kelly could be a good fight for him too.

Watched Kelly s last fight Lots of skill and fast but when it got tough showed no heart what so ever

• Like 1

On 13/04/2021 at 07:14, Phileas Fogg said:

Benn has really improved. He's got a good personality too - right mix of humble and brash. 

Broner would be a really good name. I think Josh Kelly could be a good fight for him too.

Can't agree, his dad is one of my favourite ever fighters but Conor really grinds my gears for some reason. He's certainly improved though and is clearly being groomed for PPV by Eddie and Sky.

14 hours ago, B1ackbird said:

Williams v Andrade, redemption for Williams? Will Andrade take it too easy? Should be good.. 

Andrade via unanimous boring of the entire crowd to sleep.

13 hours ago, Maltshoveller said:

Watched Kelly s last fight Lots of skill and fast but when it got tough showed no heart what so ever

Absolutely this, he's spent too far long paying Adam Booth a shit load of wedge to blow smoke up his arse. You have to be spiteful and prepared to take some punishment as well as looking good throwing 16 punch combos.

2 minutes ago, Stortz said:

Can't agree, his dad is one of my favourite ever fighters but Conor really grinds my gears for some reason. He's certainly improved though and is clearly being groomed for PPV by Eddie and Sky.

I think he's just very well media trained. I thought speaking Spanish to his opponent was pretty cool, although clearly a bit of a gimmick

3 minutes ago, Phileas Fogg said:

I think he's just very well media trained. I thought speaking Spanish to his opponent was pretty cool, although clearly a bit of a gimmick

Didn't really understand why he was calling out Khan. Everybody knows Khan is finished at the top level as is Brook.

• Like 3

2 minutes ago, Phileas Fogg said:

Isn't that one of your biggest bugbears about Joshua though?!

Benn was sat bemoaning his lot and the terrible cruelty of being away from his family to earn sacks of cash before the fight- not sure that's very media savvy

Also calling out Amir Khan after the fight? He might as well have called out Emile Griffith for the relevance Khan has now haha.

• Haha 1

3 minutes ago, Stortz said:

Isn't that one of your biggest bugbears about Joshua though?!

Benn was sat bemoaning his lot and the terrible cruelty of being away from his family to earn sacks of cash before the fight- not sure that's very media savvy

Also calling out Amir Khan after the fight? He might as well have called out Emile Griffith for the relevance Khan has now haha.

I feel it doesn't come naturally to Joshua, Benn is much more naturally charismatic. I think Joshua is much better off the cuff. Occasionally on iFL or other interviews he can be much more engaging, usually when he's a bit annoyed. He's at his worst on Graham Norton or something, so out of his element!

I can see why they'd like Khan for him based on profile. Doesn't look like Khan takes it too seriously anymore so could potentially be a big scalp

Extended interview with Benn on Bunce/Costello podcast before the fight and I have to say; I like him. It's true to say that he didn't have to get involved in a dangerous sport and make all of the undoubted sacrifices any pro boxer has to make. Will be interesting to see how far he can go as he accepted after the fight on Saturday, he isn't necessarily the most naturally gifted boxer, so is going to have to make up for it in spades with hard work and graft.

Anyway, today should be the day of some news on Joshua/Fury. Hopefully rumours of the deadline for a June/July fight being missed, or even Fury taking a warm-up fight first, aren't true.

4 minutes ago, Phileas Fogg said:

I feel it doesn't come naturally to Joshua, Benn is much more naturally charismatic. I think Joshua is much better off the cuff. Occasionally on iFL or other interviews he can be much more engaging, usually when he's a bit annoyed. He's at his worst on Graham Norton or something, so out of his element!

I can see why they'd like Khan for him based on profile. Doesn't look like Khan takes it too seriously anymore so could potentially be a big scalp

Haha fair enough.

I was being a bit facetious about a fight with Khan- he'd be good on Benn's resume because of his achievements, of course.

The thing is Khan's only any sort of major draw any more in his own mind. I heard him trapping on the other day about potentially fighting Brook at Old Trafford! Maybe in 2014, Amir.

5 minutes ago, Kid in the Riot said:

Extended interview with Benn on Bunce/Costello podcast before the fight and I have to say; I like him. It's true to say that he didn't have to get involved in a dangerous sport and make all of the undoubted sacrifices any pro boxer has to make. Will be interesting to see how far he can go as he accepted after the fight on Saturday, he isn't necessarily the most naturally gifted boxer, so is going to have to make up for it in spades with hard work and graft.

Anyway, today should be the day of some news on Joshua/Fury. Hopefully rumours of the deadline for a June/July fight being missed, or even Fury taking a warm-up fight first, aren't true.

Agreed, so don't sit there bloody moaning about it then!

There's a decent case from Fury's point of view to shake off some rust before a Joshua fight. There must be a 5'4 Hungarian or similar eager to make some cash too!

• Like 2

5 minutes ago, Stortz said:

Agreed, so don't sit there bloody moaning about it then!

There's a decent case from Fury's point of view to shake off some rust before a Joshua fight. There must be a 5'4 Hungarian or similar eager to make some cash too!

He's only 24 and just had a kid, sounded to me like he was just letting out some frustration at not being able to spend much time with his newborn. I think that's understandable. 

I'll get on the blower to one of my Albanian builders!! Game as **** AND they accept cash!

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

On 14/04/2021 at 10:42, Stortz said:

Andrade via unanimous boring of the entire crowd to sleep.

Absolutely this, he's spent too far long paying Adam Booth a shit load of wedge to blow smoke up his arse. You have to be spiteful and prepared to take some punishment as well as looking good throwing 16 punch combos.

Is he that bad Stortz? I haven't seen him, is he as 'pragmatic' as Andre Ward? 

Never mind, we're due another Curry v Honeyghan upset soon..