IGNORED

The Boxing Thread

joe jordans teeth

5 minutes ago, formerly known as ivan said:

But apparently money is more important than his career!

Why call out a you tuber for a bumper payday rather than build your reputation and career?

Probably an easy payday mate..

**** Delila...

Edited by B1ackbird

3 minutes ago, formerly known as ivan said:

No doubt about that but why do it. Lose that and that’s your career going before it’s started, unless the money really does mean more?

The Fury's know their onions, bottom line is, it's a business, risk v reward..

• Like 1

16 minutes ago, PHILINFRANCE said:

I don’t know whether you watched the fight, but they were ringside and celebrated when he won.

Nothing wrong with that, you and others may say/think, but imagine if he had taken a severe beating over several rounds before being knocked out.

Sign of the times dear fellow, a severe beating is the new FA cup 0-1 loss, personally, seeing your father potentially sent to hospital isn't very edifiying, but hay, WTF do I know ..

• Haha 1

1 hour ago, PHILINFRANCE said:

Something slightly disturbing, distasteful even, seeing what I assume (by the look and size of him) his brother, wife/partner and young son sitting ringside.

They were all his siblings.

No idea why you'd find it disturbing even if it was his partner/ son? Fighters often have their family at fights, especially in the US.

15 hours ago, Stortz said:

They were all his siblings.

Fair enough, I don't know him or his family and just saw a young man who looked similar, both in  size and appearance, who I assumed to be his brother, together with a young lady and a very young boy. 

No idea why you'd find it disturbing even if it was his partner/ son? Fighters often have their family at fights, especially in the US.

I find it disturbing for the reasons I mentioned above, i.e. I feel uncomfortable at the thought of a young boy (7, 8 years old?) watching his father or, in this case apparently, his elder brother, being beaten up and, possibly, being knocked out or worse.

For the record, I am not at all comfortable watching female boxing either, but recognise their right to compete and box.

Still, each to their own. 

3 hours ago, PHILINFRANCE said:

Dubois comes from a pretty uncoventional family, he has 10 siblings all looked after by his multi millionaire father without their mothers. They're all either boxers or musicians and tough from an early age. His sister Caroline, who was the lady you could see, is expected to win an Olympic gold at boxing herself should Tokyo go ahead. Solomon, his youngest brother who also attended has been boxing for years and is said to already have the most natural ability of all of the siblings.

So although you may find it distasteful, it certainly isn't if you are aware of the context and I think calling them attending a fight as 'disturbing' is a bit over the top.

As you say, each to their own, but you're projecting your own squeamishness really. It's a shame you don't like women boxing too, because there have been some great fights lately.

Incidently, there was more chance of Elvis being the ref than of Dubois even being hurt by Dinu, let alone beaten up!

• Like 2

Joshua vs Usyk looks about to be confirmed at Spurs' stadium for September.

Really interesting fight. You'd have to favour Joshua given his size, experience at the weight and power - but on paper it's his most challenging fight since Klitschko.

I have a feeling it might gel really well and I would not be shocked if Usyk pulled it off. He always rises to the occasion on the big stage. 

Edited by Phileas Fogg

On 03/06/2021 at 20:16, Stortz said:

No surprise is it. 16 exclusive UK shows plus the international cards so more than 30 per year.

I must say I like DAZN now I'm an old git, with their subscription model you can watch entire cards of major fights as live when you get up on a Sunday rather than schlepping through until 6 then dealing with the kids for the rest of the Sunday after a few hours of sleep.

Also no more Adam Smith on comms, so bonus!

Guess the question will be , how sustainable the price will become, currently about £2 a month. Eddie’s mentioned that PPV was not sustainable on SKY so interesting to see how PPV V subscription will work 

On 09/06/2021 at 10:00, daored said:

Guess the question will be , how sustainable the price will become, currently about £2 a month. Eddie’s mentioned that PPV was not sustainable on SKY so interesting to see how PPV V subscription will work 

It might go up to about £10 mate, it's hard to tell, but you would want more  content for that ..

• Thanks 1

On 09/06/2021 at 10:00, daored said:

Hi mate, hope you and your family are well!

Hearn says it'll be £1.99 for the summer at least- I can see it going up to £4.99 or £5.99 for the rest of the year. It's great that Sky have picked up Top Rank's international shows too.

Let's see about Ritson now then, I don't massively rate him tbh. Evening @B1ackbird

Edited by Stortz
  • Thanks 1

2 minutes ago, Stortz said:

Hi mate, hope you and your family are well!

Hearn says it'll be £1.99 for the summer at least- I can see it going up to £4.99 or £5.99 for the rest of the year at least. It's great that Sky have picked up Top Rank's international shows too.

Let's see about Ritson now then, I don't massively rate him tbh. Evening @B1ackbird

Evening Stortz ..

Ponce on points, hope I'm wrong...

This is great fun. I've given Ponce every round so far though.

Edit, can't see how Ritson wins this, he's being dominated. He's the epitome of the flat track bully at the lower weight who can't translate it to a higher weight when you can't dive at the weight then rehydrate anymore.

He's being outboxed and beaten up decisively.

Edited by Stortz

9 minutes ago, Stortz said:

This is great fun. I've given Ponce every round so far though.

Edit, can't see how Ritson wins this, he's being dominated. He's the epitome of the flat track bully at the lower weight who can't translate it to a higher weight. Being outboxed decisely.

Just get the same judges from his last fight..

Not enough power at top level

• Like 1

15 minutes ago, B1ackbird said:

Just get the same judges from his last fight..

Not enough power at top level

He could blow UK level fighers away before he couldn't make Lightweight any more.

Hyped up remorselessly by Matchroom to tap into the Geordie market, but blatantly not good enough.

edit- Wtf is going on here hahaha, never seen a ref chuck the towel back out before, even if only he can stop the fight according to the rules, it's madness.

Still trying to process that. Wtf was Steve Gray doing? Trying to think of a ref ever ignoring a towel before?

Take nothing away from Ponce though, fantastic, courageous performance.

Edited by Stortz
  • Like 1

Should we be worried that Fury has put a bit of blubber back on? He was in a really good fitness routine and had stated that it was helping his mental illness. That lasted a good year but he has been talking about getting on the beers again and looked to be carrying a chunk when he got his bod out in the press conference. Wilder will be enough of a threat that Fury needs to be focussed and not cut corners. I hope he's got his eye on the prize.