IGNORED

The Boxing Thread

joe jordans teeth

16 minutes ago, Stortz said:

Yeah, there didn't seem to be a game plan of any sort did there, what did they think they were doing?

I'm just saying give Usyk his credit too, rather than just looking at the clear deficiencies in Joshua's game. The man is ******* great.

image.png.6f43f2fd4fe161146afd02ce2ef2545e.png

Yep, have already said Usyk was superb but obviously there's an element of him being allowed to perform so well by AJ. 

Great shot of Usyk, but the tee...in the loose words of Ricky Gervais, if you believe in God, Jesus and the Second Coming then when Jesus is reborn, surely the last thing he'd want to see is the ******* cross he died on.

Night all ?

• Like 1

8 hours ago, Stortz said:

@Phileas Fogg called this after the presser, Joshua has seemed weird mentally all week. Even walking to ring he looked totally unfocussed- like the Ruiz fight all over again.

I changed my mind after the press conference. I appreciate it’s easy to read into it too much - but something was off

Beforehand I thought Joshua PTS or perhaps stoppage but was never confident in that prediction. After the press conference midweek I started to think differently but expected a much closer contest.

Amazing fight from Usyk. He’s an exceptional talent. Joshua had no answer for him at all. 

Edited by Phileas Fogg

7 hours ago, RaspberryRed said:

Bellew & Chisora both went to AJ's camp and gave him the lowdown. He ignored them = Arrogance

I genuinely believe Usyk carried Bellew to an extent in their fight. A big part of that was introducing himself to the UK market and shutting out Bellew totally wouldn’t do too much. He turned the gears up as the fight went on and showed how superior he is.

As for Chisora - he probably showed the blueprint for beating Usyk.. but you can’t be scared of getting hurt to do that. Joshua is scared of getting hurt so is far more cautious.

Disappointing to see Hearn rule out a rematch in Ukraine but imply that Saudi is in play though. Very disrespectful to Usyk.

• Flames 2

42 minutes ago, JonDolman said:

I was expecting a lot of movement from Usyk but being more tentative from distance like Parker was against AJ, concerned about AJ's power. And I thought it would go to points and even if AJ didn't deserve the win, he would get it being the champ at home. But as it turned out there was no way even bias home judges could have given that.

AJ was probably surprised by Usyk after seeing his previous fights. Whatever southpaws they brought into camp there is no way AJ could learn how to deal with what he came up against in Usyk. AJ was pawing with the jab but bloody hard to put much authority into it when he knew he would mostly not find the target and be countered. He was using his jab to try and find his range rather than using it as a weapon, and he never found that range. Maybe AJ thought as long as I am doing something then the judges will give me enough rounds and hoping Usyk tires and he could find that big shot late on.

Agreed - Usyk just too good. He's genuinely elite, and that's visible even when giving up a few inches of height/reach and 20lb in weight. 

At least in a rematch AJ should have a better idea of what he needs to try to do. He probably has to go for it, but the problem is he tires when throwing big combinations and then he slows right down in his movements, pawing that jab and would be an easy target as he waits to regain the energy to go again. He hasn't the stamina of Fury or Usyk.

He isn't going to come close to winning by boxing with Usyk. I imagine Fury would really use his extra size against Usyk by leaning on him at every opportunity. AJ has never really done that in any fights I can think of.

I'm not sure about that - it's one thing knowing what he "needs to do", it's another executing it. Usyk is just far too good and moves so well. Joshua was never really able to unload and this even surprised Usyk who said he expected more of a challenge.

I bet the team are absolutely devastated, it's a business and Usyk could really have messed things up for them. An AJ win in a rematch and everything is back on, but if he gets outclassed again then surely any potential AJ vs Fury match is no longer anywhere near as big as it would have been. How stupid to not have made that fight by now, apparently down to Fury team which is stupid of them if so, but who knows what is true.

I'm not sure it would be - Ruiz 1 could be seen as a bit of a fluke.. Usyk is clearly elite and in the conversation for being P4P 1/2 in the entire sport. Everyone who saw last night could see the difference in levels. Joshua was absolutely outclassed last night. 

There's also a very real possibility that Wilder catches Fury next month and upsets the applecart completely. You can never rule Wilder out with that power. 

I think the best thing for the heavyweight division would be Wilder to beat Fury and AJ to win the Usyk rematch. It would then really open up the division and make any of those four fighting each other 50/50 fights. Maybe others like Whyte could come into consideration too. Styles make fights and even if AJ is seen as better than Whyte, it would be interesting to see Whyte throwing the kitchen sink at Usyk. 

That would be a bad turn of events as it would just delay things further. Fury would probably try and fight Wilder again as it would be 1-1 (with 1 draw). The division would grind to a standstill with negotiations and rematches.

The best possible, and likely, sequence of events would be for Fury to win convincingly next month. Usyk and Joshua to rematch in the spring. Fury to fight Whyte who's his mandatory (who I'd expect him to deal with relatively easy) in the meantime and then fight Usyk for undisputed assuming he wins again.

If Joshua is still fighting after that - Fury vs Joshua is still a huge fight, just not as big as it could've been.

Currently it looks like it will be Fury vs Usyk in the future to become the king of the division. Really hoping AJ goes for it in the rematch and at least will be able to say Usyk is just too good, rather than doing the same as he did last night where he will likely lose again.

Agreed.

On another note - seems in the 12th the bell was rung prematurely. Were they saving Joshua (and the Joshua brand) the humiliation of a KO defeat?

18 minutes ago, Maltshoveller said:

As i said

Good call. I thought Usyk would have an uphill struggle trying to win on points as he'd be expected to push the action coming there as a challenger. My tentative prediction was Joshua controversially on points.. although I started to change my mind after the first press conf mid week where Joshua just looked off. Absolutely brilliant performance by Usyk.

23 minutes ago, JonDolman said:

Yeah he might still convincingly lose with whatever his plan is, but at least I'm sure it will be a different plan he comes in with. I wonder will he put on extra weight and try to use that to his advantage. Fury did in Wilder 2 for example. I was thinking Usyk won't maintain those levels over the distance but he did. But of course lot easier for Fury to use his extra weight against Wilder who can't box on the back foot.

Not sure it would work - his plan would be to catch Usyk with a big shot which is a legitimate plan, but Usyk is very clever and adaptable. Joshua would likely gas out as he has done previously if he came in heavy. 

Like with Wilder we do know if AJ can land then he has a good chance, but landing those clean shots is the problem they have to solve.

When I say everything being back on, I mean he then has the belts back and if he does so by knocking out Usyk then he would have knocked out one of the best, and as long as Fury wins that Wilder match then that fight should be made. Fury would be favourite but would have a lot more intrigue world wide than it would AJ coming off of 2 losses with no belts and Usyk holding the others. In fact the fight would not be made any time soon and we might not ever see it.

True

As far as the division goes I just like seeing as many interesting fights as possible. What we'd call 50/50s or not having a good idea of what we are expecting to see going into a fight.

The years of Wlad jab and grab tactics were painful to watch. Personally I'd like to see Wilder make big improvements and Fury looking vulnerable to his power and losing, and AJ being too big and powerful in the Usyk rematch. Whyte coming into it too with more wins and deserving a shot. And as many of them fighting each other as possible.

I actually missed the very last part of the fight so will try and find a link of the fight to watch back. 

Agreed - yes worth having a look at the final few seconds, very premature final bell I thought. 

Watching bits of it back earlier, I think AJ knows he’s a bit ******. After Ruiz, he stayed in the ring all smiley, did the interviews, congratulated Ruiz etc probably because he knew it was a fluke. Or he was just badly concussed. 

Yesterday, he shrugs his shoulders when Usyk’s hand is raised and gets out the ring ASAP after that. Nothing like his first loss at all, must be in a totally different headspace after losing yesterday than vs Ruiz. Maybe knows he can’t do it?

4 minutes ago, petehinton said:

Watching bits of it back earlier, I think AJ knows he’s a bit ******. After Ruiz, he stayed in the ring all smiley, did the interviews, congratulated Ruiz etc probably because he knew it was a fluke. Or he was just badly concussed. 

Yesterday, he shrugs his shoulders when Usyk’s hand is raised and gets out the ring ASAP after that. Nothing like his first loss at all, must be in a totally different headspace after losing yesterday than vs Ruiz. Maybe knows he can’t do it?

The Ruiz fight was brilliant, but taking nothing away from Ruiz it did feel a bit like a fluke to an extent. It feels disingenuous to say that but the fight was in Joshua's favour until Ruiz knocked him down with that excellent shot after being dropped himself. 

Last night was different - Joshua was completely outclassed from start to finish. With his power and size he'll always have a chance of getting a KO, but it must be so demoralising to lose to someone as able as Usyk. Joshua had no answer all night. 

Sounds a bit mad to say, but on last night's showing I think even Fury would struggle with Usyk. It was a while ago now but he rates Steve Cunningham (former CW) as his hardest fight and struggled with Wallin who's a smaller southpaw. 

• Like 2

2 hours ago, Phileas Fogg said:

Not sure it would work - his plan would be to catch Usyk with a big shot which is a legitimate plan, but Usyk is very clever and adaptable. Joshua would likely gas out as he has done previously if he came in heavy. 

True

Agreed - yes worth having a look at the final few seconds, very premature final bell I thought. 

I noticed the early bell. About 9 seconds early when AJ was going to get KOed - very suspect 

• Like 1

Just watched the card again and trying to be as benevolent as I can I could only give Hatton two rounds, Smith can be a real force in an exciting division and AJ Won't win the belt back untill he starts planting his feet again ( pre New York)

A very good two weeks coming up with a new look sky card, Smith v Fowler on DAZN and finally Fury v Wilder 3.

On 30/09/2021 at 19:50, B1ackbird said:

Just watched the card again and trying to be as benevolent as I can I could only give Hatton two rounds, Smith can be a real force in an exciting division and AJ Won't win the belt back untill he starts planting his feet again ( pre New York)

A very good two weeks coming up with a new look sky card, Smith v Fowler on DAZN and finally Fury v Wilder 3.

He needs to start moving his feet effectively before he even thinks about planting them - this video illustrates the difference in class really well

https://twitter.com/Raderecht02/status/1443715466149629954?s=20

Edited by Phileas Fogg
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, Rob k said:

He deserves his moment and he'd have a punchers chance at least.

Fury v Whyte would work well at Spurs or Wembley and I think Fury would school him.

I still think Joshua should win the rematch v Usyk if he fights the right way, as in using his physical advantages and a more aggressive mindset. Firstly AJ needs to sit on his punches. Don't let Usyk find his rhythm; smother, wrestle and bully Usyk. Lean on him, make him have to dance around the ring.

3 minutes ago, TomF said:

I think he'd have a good chance if it was Wilder.  However Fury is living rent free in Wilders head having watched the presser overnight.  He will comfortably see him off at the weekend. 

Despite being limited 100% he will KO Whyte.

1 hour ago, mozo said:

He deserves his moment and he'd have a punchers chance at least.

Fury v Whyte would work well at Spurs or Wembley and I think Fury would school him.

Agreed

1 hour ago, mozo said:

I still think Joshua should win the rematch v Usyk if he fights the right way, as in using his physical advantages and a more aggressive mindset. Firstly AJ needs to sit on his punches. Don't let Usyk find his rhythm; smother, wrestle and bully Usyk. Lean on him, make him have to dance around the ring.

You think? What about Joshua's confidence, he got absolutely outclassed. Losing against Ruiz in a shootout is one thing, but he was made to look levels below Usyk. It's all well and good people saying that he shouldn't let Usyk "find his rhythm" or walk him down.. but what if he just can't do it against Usyk as his movement and ring IQ is too high.

I'm not sure Joshua will be able to mentally overcome this, but even if he loses against Usyk there are still big fights out there for him. Joshua vs Fury or Whyte will always sell well.