IGNORED

The Boxing Thread

joe jordans teeth

3 hours ago, Phileas Fogg said:

Agreed

You think? What about Joshua's confidence, he got absolutely outclassed. Losing against Ruiz in a shootout is one thing, but he was made to look levels below Usyk. It's all well and good people saying that he shouldn't let Usyk "find his rhythm" or walk him down.. but what if he just can't do it against Usyk as his movement and ring IQ is too high.

I'm not sure Joshua will be able to mentally overcome this, but even if he loses against Usyk there are still big fights out there for him. Joshua vs Fury or Whyte will always sell well. 

Look, I've been very critical of Joshua over the years. I thought he was very underwhelming in most of his fights after Klitschko, which it appears to be the point where he decided to try to mutate from a heavy-handed fighter, to more of a boxer. It doesn't help him. He over-thinks. Paralysis by analysis. 

When you've got huge power like Joshua has, it makes sense to be the bully, not to try to engage in a chess match.

Usyk is a fantastic boxer, and yes he would be successful in slipping and sliding and pot-shotting early in the fight. But AJ has to turn it into a brawl to change the dynamic and I think he could grind Usyk down if he did that the right way.

Fury actually told Bunce he and the Kronk team could train Joshua to win that fight and I don't doubt that, because that style would suit Joshua.

• Like 1

i must say i am a bit nervous about this 3rd fight,my heart says fury will give wilder a lesson in four rounds,my head looks at wilders new trainers and camp and his body language and a little part of me is bit worried.wilders body language is either he is shitting himself or he has a new fight plan which he is confident with, not sure myself what do you chaps think

8 hours ago, big dosser said:

i must say i am a bit nervous about this 3rd fight,my heart says fury will give wilder a lesson in four rounds,my head looks at wilders new trainers and camp and his body language and a little part of me is bit worried.wilders body language is either he is shitting himself or he has a new fight plan which he is confident with, not sure myself what do you chaps think

Add in the fact Fury has had covid and also personal issues (thankfully it appears his daughter is better). Wonder whether with everything that has gone on, maybe a slight amount of complacency after the last fight ?

19 hours ago, mozo said:

Look, I've been very critical of Joshua over the years. I thought he was very underwhelming in most of his fights after Klitschko, which it appears to be the point where he decided to try to mutate from a heavy-handed fighter, to more of a boxer. It doesn't help him. He over-thinks. Paralysis by analysis. 

When you've got huge power like Joshua has, it makes sense to be the bully, not to try to engage in a chess match.

Usyk is a fantastic boxer, and yes he would be successful in slipping and sliding and pot-shotting early in the fight. But AJ has to turn it into a brawl to change the dynamic and I think he could grind Usyk down if he did that the right way.

Fury actually told Bunce he and the Kronk team could train Joshua to win that fight and I don't doubt that, because that style would suit Joshua.

Whenever I've seen people suggest AJ should just "walk Usyk down" or "bully him" I remember this clip - Usyk showing exactly why that is far easier said than done.

https://twitter.com/Raderecht02/status/1444299774367354883?s=20

Obviously when you have the power and physical advantages that Joshua has it's possible, I just think mentally he's scarred from those defeats and Usyk is just on a different level.

If the fight is in Ukraine, which looks unlikely but strictly speaking it should be, Joshua has no chance. He's spent his entire career fighting as a home fighter with a stacked deck - would be great to see him up against it for once. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, TomF said:

What makes HW Boxing so great, you just never know.  Ruiz v AJ, Povetkin v Whyte.. it only takes one of Wilders windmills to connect and it could all be over.  Personally I think Fury has too much ring IQ and will just dance around him all night for a UD on points

I'd like to think that it'll be one of those fights where on Sunday morning we all think "yes of course Fury was going to win, what was I worried about" - but I do have that nagging doubt about this one.. then again I felt exactly the same for both of the previous fights vs Wilder. 

13 hours ago, Phileas Fogg said:

Whenever I've seen people suggest AJ should just "walk Usyk down" or "bully him" I remember this clip - Usyk showing exactly why that is far easier said than done.

https://twitter.com/Raderecht02/status/1444299774367354883?s=20

Obviously when you have the power and physical advantages that Joshua has it's possible, I just think mentally he's scarred from those defeats and Usyk is just on a different level.

If the fight is in Ukraine, which looks unlikely but strictly speaking it should be, Joshua has no chance. He's spent his entire career fighting as a home fighter with a stacked deck - would be great to see him up against it for once. 

That's an embarrassing clip for Joshua! I think with a stinging ramrod jab, some swarming and some inside work he can grind Usyk down, but hey we'll find out sometime in April. Can't wait!

38 minutes ago, joe jordans teeth said:

Why didn’t Fitzgerald and Fowler ever have a rematch,such a good first fight 

Fitzgerald had loads of drink, drugs and gambling problems and some pretty serious run ins with the law.

His licence was suspended for quite a while, but he's fighting again now.

5 minutes ago, daored said:

All down to an unexpected menstrual cycle 

What a load of bollocks (not your comment mate, her excuse), how come that doesn't happen all the time to female boxers then?

If it's possible that it can happen, you should consider the possibility in your weight cut- it's inexcusably unprofessional not to imo.

Fair play to Mitchell, a great win.

• Like 1

13 minutes ago, Stortz said:

What a load of bollocks (not your comment mate, her excuse), how come that doesn't happen all the time to female boxers then?

If it's possible that it can happen, you should consider the possibility in your weight cut- it's inexcusably unprofessional not to imo.

Fair play to Mitchell, a great win.

She looked absolutely shocked at the result ?

On 30/09/2021 at 19:50, B1ackbird said:

Just watched the card again and trying to be as benevolent as I can I could only give Hatton two rounds, Smith can be a real force in an exciting division and AJ Won't win the belt back untill he starts planting his feet again ( pre New York)

A very good two weeks coming up with a new look sky card, Smith v Fowler on DAZN and finally Fury v Wilder 3.

Evening all ..