IGNORED

The Boxing Thread

joe jordans teeth

2 hours ago, wayne allisons tongues said:

Was the 3 knockdown rule part of the fight. The bell may of saved Fury in rd 4 if it was.

To be honest, a very very slow count, I think it was 15 seconds may well have saved him on the 2nd knockdown I expect Wilder is a tad pissed off (deserved or not).  I would like to know if Fury was making the most of the count, or if he was in fact saved by it. Only he will know.

2 hours ago, wayne allisons tongues said:

Edited by TRL

9 hours ago, TRL said:

To be honest, a very very slow count, I think it was 15 seconds may well have saved him on the 2nd knockdown I expect Wilder is a tad pissed off (deserved or not).  I would like to know if Fury was making the most of the count, or if he was in fact saved by it. Only he will know.

I thought it was considerably slow at the time. Its because Wilder wasn’t in the neutral corner (as per the rules) 

Listen to the ref 

Edited by Rossi the Robin

10 hours ago, mozo said:

Sorry, I know you're not responding to me there but I think you're massively underestimating Fury there, and he's rated by all the knowledgeable people in the boxing world.

Not at all mate, I rate Fury very highly. I think he probably is the best heavyweight in the world at the moment. However, I still think there is a caveat that if you strongly believe that to be the case then you must rate Wilder as the second best and until I see Wilder and Fury in the ring with other genuine contenders then I think the jury is out. 

On social media over the past 24hours I've read that Fury is:

- the current best p4p boxer in the world

- the greatest heavyweight of this era

- the greatest heavyweight of all time

- the best British boxer of all time

And they say AJ is over-hyped!! 

33 minutes ago, Kid in the Riot said:

Not at all mate, I rate Fury very highly. I think he probably is the best heavyweight in the world at the moment. However, I still think there is a caveat that if you strongly believe that to be the case then you must rate Wilder as the second best and until I see Wilder and Fury in the ring with other genuine contenders then I think the jury is out. 

Has to be Alvarez for me

I'm never sure what an era is but in terms of the 21st century, there are only really the Klitschkos and Fury currently in the conversation. Fury did beat Wlad, albeit not a prime Wlad. So the question is what CV does Fury need to rise above the Klits? In a post Klitschko world Fury is number 1.

That's daft

Also daft - but only Lennox is above him in the British heavyweight list.

Ah, got you. 

I think you could have an interesting debate about two of those examples, as above. 

• Like 1

Really enjoyed the fight at the weekend. Was a great spectacle and Fury rightfully getting loads of plaudits now.

Will be interesting to see where he goes now - looks like it could end up being Whyte whilst he waits for the winner of Usyk vs Joshua. You'd have to fancy Fury against Whyte - I just hope it's in the UK. Would be ridiculous if a big British fight like that happens in the states. All that being said, I don't think it's a given that Whyte gets past Wallin.

I think out of all the current crop, Usyk could be very difficult for Fury. His boxing brain and ring IQ matches and possibly exceeds Fury's imo, just lacks the natural physical advantages Fury has. 

Could be an interesting 12 months in boxing providing there's not too much interference from the politics of the sport. 

2 hours ago, Phileas Fogg said:

Really enjoyed the fight at the weekend. Was a great spectacle and Fury rightfully getting loads of plaudits now.

Will be interesting to see where he goes now - looks like it could end up being Whyte whilst he waits for the winner of Usyk vs Joshua. You'd have to fancy Fury against Whyte - I just hope it's in the UK. Would be ridiculous if a big British fight like that happens in the states. All that being said, I don't think it's a given that Whyte gets past Wallin.

I think out of all the current crop, Usyk could be very difficult for Fury. His boxing brain and ring IQ matches and possibly exceeds Fury's imo, just lacks the natural physical advantages Fury has. 

Could be an interesting 12 months in boxing providing there's not too much interference from the politics of the sport. 

The Whyte fight is mostly dangerous for Fury in that he could get complacent. Whyte on the other hand would be completely focused and see it as a career defining fight. Whyte is also so aggressive that there's always a chance he could do you damage.

I think the fight sells though. It's a domestic fight and the build up would get very lairy. I think Fury would try to play on Whyte's emotions and there could easily be a tussle or two for the cameras.

Fury v Usyk is an interesting one. Six foot three fifhters look small against Fury and I think he'd try to be the bully. Bunce reported that Fury said Joshua needed to "make himself big again" in the rematch which suggests he thinks you should make size count.

1 hour ago, mozo said:

The Whyte fight is mostly dangerous for Fury in that he could get complacent. Whyte on the other hand would be completely focused and see it as a career defining fight. Whyte is also so aggressive that there's always a chance he could do you damage.

I think the fight sells though. It's a domestic fight and the build up would get very lairy. I think Fury would try to play on Whyte's emotions and there could easily be a tussle or two for the cameras.

Fury v Usyk is an interesting one. Six foot three fifhters look small against Fury and I think he'd try to be the bully. Bunce reported that Fury said Joshua needed to "make himself big again" in the rematch which suggests he thinks you should make size count.

Vs Whyte, a fit and motivated Fury should be able to do a similar job to the one he did on Chisora in their second fight. Whyte is probably a bit more dangerous but he's limited and a couple of levels below the top of the division IMO. 

• Like 2

2 hours ago, Super said:

Not sure a fight with Whyte will interest Fury,Think Fury's dad has already said this.

It might not, but I think it's in his best interests. Firstly, it keeps him fit and active, which will help if the Joshua fight comes along next Autumn. Secondly, it'll be a ruck but he'll probably win. Thirdly, the fight probably generates more money than the match up deserves and he gets the lionshare. Fourthly, he can stick a rematch clause in as insurance. Fifthly (?!), he gets to be the hero. He can easily wind up Whyte to make him out to be Dillian the Villain, and they could even do it somewhere like the arena in Manchester if he wants to get the North West support in tow.

On 13/10/2021 at 17:25, mozo said:

It might not, but I think it's in his best interests. Firstly, it keeps him fit and active, which will help if the Joshua fight comes along next Autumn. Secondly, it'll be a ruck but he'll probably win. Thirdly, the fight probably generates more money than the match up deserves and he gets the lionshare. Fourthly, he can stick a rematch clause in as insurance. Fifthly (?!), he gets to be the hero. He can easily wind up Whyte to make him out to be Dillian the Villain, and they could even do it somewhere like the arena in Manchester if he wants to get the North West support in tow.

I've seen Old Trafford even been mentioned as a possible venue. 

In theory Whyte should be fairly straightforward for Tyson, but I'd agree that I really think he'd struggle to get up for it after the Wilder trilogy. And that complacency is a worry. 

I do wonder if he's seriously considering retirement. He dodged the question when asked after the fight. 

Edited by Kid in the Riot
  • Like 1

10 hours ago, TomF said:

I wonder how much the situation with his newborn might play on that.  Clearly it was a rough time for him and Paris.    6 kids, £50m in the bank from last few fights.. I’d be thinking enough. I guess how his mental health would be if he stopped. 

He's only got one fight left on his Top Rank/Espn deal. If that fight is to be Whyte then wouldn't be at all surprised if he just walks away. 

If he is to get up for one last fight then think it has to be AJ or Usyk to become undisputed 

On 14/10/2021 at 18:27, Kid in the Riot said:

I've seen Old Trafford even been mentioned as a possible venue. 

In theory Whyte should be fairly straightforward for Tyson, but I'd agree that I really think he'd struggle to get up for it after the Wilder trilogy. And that complacency is a worry. 

I do wonder if he's seriously considering retirement. He dodged the question when asked after the fight. 

Yeah agreed on all fronts. I was going to suggest Old Trafford as I think he's a Man U fan of sorts, but I don't know if it's complicated in the football season.

Eddie Hearn desperately wants Whyte v Fury. He reckon it sells easy, sells out a stadium and gets 1.5m ppv in the UK so he's just seeing lots of pound signs.

I've run a few marathons and every time I'm running it saying to myself 'I'm never doing this again!' Then at some point I convince myself to sign up for another one with all the discomfort and inconvenience of four months of training and everything else that goes with it. 

After such a difficult time personally, a disrupted training camp and an exhausting fight, I wouldn't be at all surprised if Fury felt like boxing wasn't worth it anymore. But I could also see him being persuaded, especially when his six kids start doing his nut in!

On 11/10/2021 at 09:02, Kid in the Riot said:

I must agree with this. There's always an element of overexcitement after an entertaining bout, but people are really losing their sense of perspective imo.

I love Tyson, and he's clearly the best HW of this era. I'm absolutely delighted he won, and he did so in imperious style- but this wasn't a truly great fight, because it was too one sided. You can marvel at wilder's obstinance, but Tyson was in total control from round 5 on. It wasn't much of a contest in real terms- the same as the 2nd fight.

I can't see Fury wanting to retire atm. A fight v Whyte from his perspective is very easy money while he potentially awaits the winner of the Usyk Joshua rematch.

9 hours ago, Stortz said:

I must agree with this. There's always an element of overexcitement after an entertaining bout, but people are really losing their sense of perspective imo.

I love Tyson, and he's clearly the best HW of this era. I'm absolutely delighted he won, and he did so in imperious style- but this wasn't a truly great fight, because it was too one sided. You can marvel at wilder's obstinance, but Tyson was in total control from round 5 on. It wasn't much of a contest in real terms- the same as the 2nd fight.

I can't see Fury wanting to retire atm. A fight v Whyte from his perspective is very easy money while he potentially awaits the winner of the Usyk Joshua rematch.

Just to counter that a tad, it's pretty rare to see a 10-8 round followed by a 7-10 round, and I think the 5th was interesting because Wilder went in for the kill but Fury turned the fight back round his way. 

It was very entertaining, especially if you're a Fury fan. But it wasn't a fight for the ages or an epic as has been described.

4 minutes ago, frenchred said:

God this sky production is so amateurish it's unreal

It really is. Random breaks mid sentence, rejoining coverage midway through a Froch monologue.

It's weird.

edit- maybe Hearn nicked some of the sky staff when jumping to DAZN.

Edited by Stortz

1 minute ago, TomF said:

Does anyone know the actual reason Peter and Tyson Fury actually fell out? Read a few theories about money owed for the Parker fight and then stuff about training in Hayes gym etc 

Exactly what I read- that it was a serious falling out over money Tyson had leant Mick Hennesey and Peter, then the Haye gym training was the final straw.

20 minutes ago, Stortz said:

If you think I'm missing the chance to watch the most boring heavyweight in the world and Chis Eubank Jnr throw 894 combinations at a German bin man with a funny name, you are much mistaken Tom.

Credit where it's due, this is unexpectedly entertaining!

Hughie finally letting his hands go and I've never seen Hammer this game before.

And as I type that he quits on his stool hahaha.

10 minutes ago, Kid in the Riot said:

Hahahahahahaha 

The people of Newcastle really have demonstrated themselves to be useful idiots of late. 

First they bend over and accept themselves as Saudi propagandists. And second they actually pay money for this card. Priceless. 

Not everyone there paid!