IGNORED

The Boxing Thread

joe jordans teeth

2 minutes ago, Phileas Fogg said:

Paris Fury basically let slip that's the plan. The 'retiring' stuff is to strengthen his bargaining position. Unless he vacates the WBC, he's not retiring.

Fury will want Joshua to beat Usyk. I think he's a bit more wary of Usyk but believes he has the beating of Joshua. 

I predict he'll mess about with WWE stuff over the summer, probably be in the corner for Parker vs Joyce to keep himself in the headlines.. hopes Usyk vs Joshua happens in July resulting in a Joshua victory with an undisputed fight in late 2022 or around this time next year. 

Adding to this - I would love to see Wilder vs the loser of Usyk vs Joshua.. if only boxing politics were that simple. 

There'll always be a big question mark over Wilder, especially if he doesn't fight again. Hasn't had enough tests against anyone any good barring Fury and Luis Ortiz. 

My personal opinion is Wilder beats everyone not named Fury or Usyk with a fight against Joshua being a very exciting 50/50 shootout. 

1 minute ago, Riaz said:

Thats exactly how i see it. He's done if Usyk wins, but he wants Joshua to win

Why else would he fight Whyte? he fought him to keep the belt, in order to keep the big fight alive.

I think he would fight Usyk as there's still the pressure to unify. I think that's an intriguing fight stylistically.

I don't believe any boxers are truly "scared" of eachother at world level, but Fury isn't stupid and understands boxing - he will know Usyk will be a challenge. He was far greener back then, but he ranks Steve Cunningham in 2013 as one of his hardest fights.. a smaller man with good technical skill albeit not in Usyk's league.

He will want the Joshua fight as the money generated would be enormous. On account of Usyk not being anywhere near as big a name as Joshua it won't generate the same hype or money to the mass market.  

11 minutes ago, Phileas Fogg said:

I think he would fight Usyk as there's still the pressure to unify. I think that's an intriguing fight stylistically.

I don't believe any boxers are truly "scared" of eachother at world level, but Fury isn't stupid and understands boxing - he will know Usyk will be a challenge. He was far greener back then, but he ranks Steve Cunningham in 2013 as one of his hardest fights.. a smaller man with good technical skill albeit not in Usyk's league.

He will want the Joshua fight as the money generated would be enormous. On account of Usyk not being anywhere near as big a name as Joshua it won't generate the same hype or money to the mass market.  

I'm not sure he would fight Uysk. As you say, he's not scared, but why risk his unbeaten record and legacy for an extremely tricky fight, which isnt nowhere near as huge?

• Like 1

25 minutes ago, Riaz said:

I'm not sure he would fight Uysk. As you say, he's not scared, but why risk his unbeaten record and legacy for an extremely tricky fight, which isnt nowhere near as huge?

Boxers being truly scared of eachother isn't really a thing at top level sport. They all genuinely believe they will win. 

7 minutes ago, billywedlock said:

He wanted to fight Usyk before AJ actioned his return fight option. I cannot imagine Usyk would bother Fury in the slightest. Nice boxer, but he uses a jab and movement. Witherspoon and AJ were easy targets, Fury different level altogether, he won't get near Fury, Wilder too with his intensity would beat him or AJ . Opinions, but just cannot see anything remotely powerful enough in Usyk to trouble Wilder or Fury. AJ so over rated and protected in his fight choices. Look at his losses, awful. Ask Lennox what he thinks !  

Whatever, Fury is waiting for the winner, and will unify, then retire, that seems pretty clear. If Aj, of course it has more UK interest, on TalkS , Frank W was talking about that being a 200M fight. Then Fury can retire with all arguments closed. 

Wilder is without doubt the worst technical boxer to ever become heavyweight champion-and that's saying something! Usyk is a boxing genius who would run rings around Wilder imo. You say he has little power, but he almost took AJ out a couple of times and his chin is far more formidable than chicken legged Deontay's

I agree with @Phileas Fogg Wilder v AJ is a 50/50 fight.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, billywedlock said:

He wanted to fight Usyk before AJ actioned his return fight option. I cannot imagine Usyk would bother Fury in the slightest. Nice boxer, but he uses a jab and movement. Witherspoon and AJ were easy targets, Fury different level altogether, he won't get near Fury, Wilder too with his intensity would beat him or AJ . Opinions, but just cannot see anything remotely powerful enough in Usyk to trouble Wilder or Fury. AJ so over rated and protected in his fight choices. Look at his losses, awful. Ask Lennox what he thinks !  

Whatever, Fury is waiting for the winner, and will unify, then retire, that seems pretty clear. If Aj, of course it has more UK interest, on TalkS , Frank W was talking about that being a 200M fight. Then Fury can retire with all arguments closed. 

Point is, its an awkward fight with nowhere near the rewards.

5 minutes ago, Phileas Fogg said:

The reward is to be undisputed - Fury is a boxing historian and he knows the significance of that accolade. It'll also generate him huge money whichever opponent, but more if Joshua. 

He has also won every belt, without being defeated, so he can still claim he had every belt...

20 minutes ago, Riaz said:

He has also won every belt, without being defeated, so he can still claim he had every belt...

It's not the same as being officially 'undisputed' and Fury knows this despite what he says. If the undisputed fight is on the table, he will take it - regardless whether that's Joshua or Usyk.

The 'retirement' thing is just a bargaining ploy. 

4 hours ago, Phileas Fogg said:

It's not the same as being officially 'undisputed' and Fury knows this despite what he says. If the undisputed fight is on the table, he will take it - regardless whether that's Joshua or Usyk.

The 'retirement' thing is just a bargaining ploy. 

He’s not lineal champion, but that does not stop him calling himself the lineal champion and bending the truth

3 hours ago, billywedlock said:

Usyk a boxing genius . That is miles off. Agile, decent, but little power. If we are talking boxing genius we are in the wrong weight classes. In pure boxing terms, none of these guys are in the game. Boxing genius, no way, sorry, cannot give you that one. Wilder would wipe him out. Have watched maybe 7/8 of his fights, decent , but boxing genius is hilarious. Has fought nobodies, he is a nobody. Aj is rubbish , he lost to a blubber weight. There is a reason these fighter have been moved away from Wilder and Fury . Wilder would trash Usyk or AJ. He probably will on his return. I trust i the judgement of the top boys, Lewis is one of the very best, and he has said it all. I appreciate it is all talk, but I would be sure Wilder or Fury would hammer either Usyk or AJ. Get it on. 

Usyk won 335 out of 350 amateur bouts and world championship and olympic gold medals. He was undisputed world cruiserweight champion in 15 pro fights.

You're perfectly entitled to your opinion about how good he is, but it's slightly undermined by your apparent belief that Wilder is anything other than an athletic guy with a freakish whip in his punches. He is a truly terrible boxer and lost clearly 3 times (even if only 2 count on the record) as soon as he stepped up a level from handpicked bums, Polish taxi drivers and 50 year olds with heart problems.

Joshua is not rubbish, he was just massively overhyped. He's obviously in decline, but has had a decent career and some good wins. He got caught by Ruiz and never recovered in the first fight, then entirely outboxed him in the rematch- dull as it may have been to watch.

Edited by Stortz
  • Like 4

11 hours ago, Stortz said:

Usyk won 335 out of 350 amateur bouts and world championship and olympic gold medals. He was undisputed world cruiserweight champion in 15 pro fights.

You're perfectly entitled to your opinion about how good he is, but it's slightly undermined by your apparent belief that Wilder is anything other than an athletic guy with a freakish whip in his punches. He is a truly terrible boxer and lost clearly 3 times (even if only 2 count on the record) as soon as he stepped up a level from handpicked bums, Polish taxi drivers and 50 year olds with heart problems.

Joshua is not rubbish, he was just massively overhyped. He's obviously in decline, but has had a decent career and some good wins. He got caught by Ruiz and never recovered in the first fight, then entirely outboxed him in the rematch- dull as it may have been to watch.

Part of me has always felt Joshua owes Ruiz a 3rd fight. I have no interest in seeing it from a spectator's point of view, but I do feel that the Ruiz win (given it's nature) was more of a comprehensive victory and it hasn't truly been avenged as a result. Saying all that though, I only really have interest in watching Joshua fight Usyk/Fury/Wilder so I hope it doesn't happen.

I think there is a bit contextual blot on Joshua's record and that's the home advantage he's enjoyed in 100% of his fights. He's always been the "home" fighter with every possible marginal advantage - whether that's fighting in London or in Saudi/MSG. Fury's record may not be as consistent, but he has more signature wins - 3 of which (Wilder 2, Wilder 3, Klitschko) fighting as an "away" fighter. I think that's an important piece of context that's often overlooked. 

I think Joshua was a perfect storm in marketing terms. He came out of a very successful London 2012, he looks the part physically, is very exciting to watch and has been marketed brilliantly by Matchroom and Sky. Obviously the aim was to get the Sky Sports crowd on side - lots of them being primarily football fans - and it's worked really well.

I do think him vs Fury isn't necessarily a foregone conclusion though, Fury being the favourite however. I just hope we get to see it. 

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, Phileas Fogg said:

He's recognised by Ring magazine and multiple other boxing organisations as Lineal, so forgive me if I take their word over "Riaz" from Otib!

Its nothing to do with my word

The lineage was broken when Lennox Lewis retired - Wlad never fought Lennox, so i dont know how beating Wlad can possibly qualify him to be Lineal Champion :dunno:

20 minutes ago, Phileas Fogg said:

He's recognised by Ring magazine and multiple other boxing organisations as Lineal, so forgive me if I take their word over "Riaz" from Otib!

The man who beat the man

When Ali beat liston, there was one champion - since then...

Muhammad Ali, Joe Frazier, George Foreman, Muhammad Ali (2), Leon Spinks, Muhammad Ali (3), Larry Holmes, Michael Spinks, Mike Tyson, Buster Douglas, Evander Holyfield, Riddick Bowe, Evander Holyfield (2), Michael Moorer, George Foreman (2), Shannon Briggs, Lennox Lewis, Hasim Rahman, Lennox Lewis (2)

And Lennox retired as Lineal Champion.

On 27/04/2022 at 18:49, billywedlock said:

Usyk a boxing genius . That is miles off. Agile, decent, but little power. If we are talking boxing genius we are in the wrong weight classes. In pure boxing terms, none of these guys are in the game. Boxing genius, no way, sorry, cannot give you that one. Wilder would wipe him out. Have watched maybe 7/8 of his fights, decent , but boxing genius is hilarious. Has fought nobodies, he is a nobody. Aj is rubbish , he lost to a blubber weight. There is a reason these fighter have been moved away from Wilder and Fury . Wilder would trash Usyk or AJ. He probably will on his return. I trust i the judgement of the top boys, Lewis is one of the very best, and he has said it all. I appreciate it is all talk, but I would be sure Wilder or Fury would hammer either Usyk or AJ. Get it on. 

Based on?

24 minutes ago, TomF said:

Sounds like a classic overnight but ffs how is Jake Paul promoting boxers now.  Can he not just **** off back to YouTube 

Claiming she was robbed. manual manipulator

2 hours ago, TomF said:

Sounds like a classic overnight but ffs how is Jake Paul promoting boxers now.  Can he not just **** off back to YouTube 

It was an absolutely fantastic fight.

Liam Smith put in a great performance to break down Vargas too.

• Like 1

19 hours ago, And Its Smith said:

Not sure about robbed but if the decision had been been the other way I don’t think anyone would have been shocked. Nobody could call it at the final bell 

The round by round text commentary on the BBC had Taylor ahead by 3 rounds.

On 01/05/2022 at 08:55, TomF said:

He's a cock. And i am looking forward to a real boxer knocking him out.

But he's making a lot of noise about UFC fighter pay and i fully back him on it.

They are severely under-paid and for that reason, i dont want him to fade away just yet.

57 minutes ago, Riaz said:

He's a cock. And i am looking forward to a real boxer knocking him out.

But he's making a lot of noise about UFC fighter pay and i fully back him on it.

They are severely under-paid and for that reason, i dont want him to fade away just yet.

Not Tommy Fury then....

• Haha 1

Wow that last minute was crazy.

I would have given it to Taylor, Serrano was walking on to punches throughout the fight. I only gave her rounds 5 and 6, they put up graphics after round 7 showing that she had landed 20% more of her punches but the idiot summariser only had her winning the first round. She won the last 3 easily.

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, Port Said Red said:

Wow that last minute was crazy.

I would have given it to Taylor, Serrano was walking on to punches throughout the fight. I only gave her rounds 5 and 6, they put up graphics after round 7 showing that she had landed 20% more of her punches but the idiot summariser only had her winning the first round. She won the last 3 easily.

Cracking fight wasn't it.

As Enzo Maccarenelli said, Serrano was following Taylor around the ring for the most part as the latter boxed beautifully off the back foot in the opening rounds.

As usual Katie couldn't resist a firefight and Amanda was close to taking her out in the 5th. Taylor showed her class and heart again in the last few rounds to pull away.

The commentary and scoring on DAZN on the night was atrocious, so biased towards Serrano.

• Thanks 1